Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  Disintegrated Air Filter  (Read 117 times)

Offline Fat CorgiTopic starter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • LSD New
  • Liked: 1
    • Tommy Hankinson
    • TRC Lighting
Disintegrated Air Filter
« on: July 10, 2020, 08:53:20 PM »
Hello all,
   So I ran the Baja 5B SS I just inherited for the first time the other day, and I went to start it up again today. Stared briefly then stalled and I couldn't get it going again. When I took off the air filter I discovered that the foam had disintegrated and been sucked through the carby and into the engine. So there is oily foam gunk all through the engine. I've taken as much as I can apart but one of the bolts holding the engine to the base is seized and I can get the engine out of the buggy. So I have to try and clean it out as best as I can with the engine still in the buggy. The bolt that has seized is the one on the bottom of the clutch housing. Do you think I'll be able to get the majority of it clean without taking the rest of the engine apart? Could I flush it out with some petrol or something like that?

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 15435
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
  • Instagram: OzzyMozzyLSD
  • Club: Freestyle Flyers
Re: Disintegrated Air Filter
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 01:18:36 PM »
You would be better getting those bolts out!!

Use a heat gun and get them hot, then unscrew them.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Grim Reaper

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 3686
  • Mick
  • Club: Red Lion Rebels
Re: Disintegrated Air Filter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 08:39:01 PM »
How old was the air filter? Was it clean prior to use? Seems odd to just fall apart like that. Worst case if you still have trouble with the bolt u might need to use a dremel to cut a slit on the bolt head deep enough to get a flat head screw driver to fit the slit, then it should crack loose
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:40:22 PM by Grim Reaper »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login