Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  Rovan Baja brushless build for FPV  (Read 321 times)

Offline BlueRcTopic starter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 13
Rovan Baja brushless build for FPV
« on: February 28, 2019, 10:50:10 PM »
Hello all, I've been into rc cars for about a year. Started with 1/10th then 1/8th and now I want to try 1/5th. I picked up an old Rovan 30.5cc but I plan on converting it to brushless. I want to do it on the cheap and I will try making my own brushless mount and supports.

I have a bunch of 3s and 4s batteries from quadcopters and also FPV gear I use on my current 1/10 and 1/8th's. I want to reuse as much equipment as I already have in order to recycle old parts.
Here are some starting pics of what I have, as I can tell it's been sitting in a shed for years caked in oil and dirt. I've started work on the cleaning a few days ago.

My motor choice is a 4092 1400kv
Esc will be Hobbywing Max6
Servo Rovan S8218 45kg
Batteries 3s and 4s combined to 6/8s in series.

• LSD Newbie
Re: Rovan Baja brushless build for FPV
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 07:23:20 AM »
Spent a few hours cleaning over the week. Looks like there was something under all that dirt. So far no major damage but one of the screws holding the front bulkhead plate is stripped and i may have to drill it, there is also a slight bend in the frame at the nose, but I should be able to hammer that back into alignment. The bearings will need to be replaced but that's an easy $10 fix. A few of the plastic parts are worn and I may want to replace them later but will look at spending more once everything is installed and it actually works ok.

Offline Oxy

• Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 237
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 08:13:56 AM »
Looking good. I think from memory the front kick up angle is  about 12 degrees dontknow   

Offline Pappa Smurf

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1160
  • have fun with LS or you'll go mad
  • Club: LSCV
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 04:14:23 PM »
Replace the top front brace thumbsup
Grumpy old carnt
1 x Rovan 5b and loving it
2 x gas monos
1 HPI 5b
1 MCD
2 Losi 5iveT
Happy user of Micks Mods motors

5 assorted Aeros
Red Lion Rebel
Bunyip Basher
Leongatha Lout
2013 Nats with Sammy
LSCV No 10

• LSD Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 09:27:34 PM »
I want to but its the one with the stripped screw!, ill try drilling it out

• LSD Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 03:41:11 PM »
I've purchased a 6mm bar of aluminum 6060-T5 about 80mmx300mm which I will be using for the motor mount, base plate and side mount. I hope it will be rigid enough to be suitable. I will try to use the mounting points already included on the baja frame.
The frame cleaning is almost done, I've installed the main parts but I'm still waiting on new bearings for the gearbox and wheel hubs. I will work out the measurements for the motor mount as I wait for delivery.

I managed to pick up a whole bunch of aluminum baja parts and I will pick and choose what to swap in for the plastic. I'm thinking of using the aluminum shock tower supports and maybe upper arms but keeping the front bulkhead plastic as it's the cheapest to replace. I have 4 aluminum lower arms but they seem like too much, maybe for just the rear end to add rigidity?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:58:41 PM by BlueRc »

• LSD Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 03:16:55 PM »
I've cleaned some more parts and straightened up the front frame a bit. My motor arrived also my aluminum bar I'll be cutting to make a motor mount, I may try to mimic the store bought motor mounts or come up with a simpler solution. I think having a two side plates that screw into a base plate running the length of the two utilizing the old gas motor mounts will be best.

I also installed some of the aluminum parts I got second hand.

• LSD Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 10:24:01 PM »
Motor gear 15t arrived, as well as max6 esc. Also had to swap out some damaged parts. Getting there

Online Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 15404
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
  • Instagram: OzzyMozzyLSD
  • Club: Freestyle Flyers
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 07:17:43 PM »
It's good to see a project like this, it's been a while.....

I recently put a FPV setup on my Wraith and went for a drive around the backyard in and out of the garden etc.... it's a pretty cool experience! I have a spare set of FPV goggles so my youngest daughter used them and loved it...
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• LSD Newbie
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 02:36:01 AM »

I recently put a FPV setup on my Wraith and went for a drive around the backyard in and out of the garden etc.... it's a pretty cool experience! I have a spare set of FPV goggles so my youngest daughter used them and loved it...

Yes I have FPV on my 1/8 and my 1/10 scales, it's really fun driving around on a smooth path as it cuts down the vibration and feels like a driving game. With the baja you could almost fit a 2+3 axis gimbal setup and have it be protected under the rollcage, that would make offroad driving a lot less shaky

I also plan to set up a light bar and brake lights/turn signals using an arduino and digital led's

Offline Oxy

• Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 237
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 05:51:08 AM »

Yes I have FPV on my 1/8 and my 1/10 scales, it's really fun driving around on a smooth path as it cuts down the vibration and feels like a driving game. With the baja you could almost fit a 2+3 axis gimbal setup and have it be protected under the rollcage, that would make offroad driving a lot less shaky

I also plan to set up a light bar and brake lights/turn signals using an arduino and digital led's

I like the sound of this FPV. Just wondering did you buy a FPV kit  or do you make it all up ? dontknow

• LSD Newbie
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 03:54:24 PM »
I wire it up with camera and a small servo for panning if I need it and a 5.8GHz transmitter. Here's a similar setup on 1/10 scale.

• LSD Newbie
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 09:49:45 PM »
I've run into some difficulty with making the mount, I managed to drill the holes to attach the base plate and the motor plate together, but while threading one of the holes my treading bit got snagged and snapped. At this point I don't really want to pay for another bit and have something else stuff up and I'm fed up with a few things as I couldn't get my hands on a proper drill press. I've decided just to buy a motor mount and symmetrical steering combo online, I'm over budget anyways already.

Another thing, I have big trouble rebuilding the diff as two bearings are stuck to the diff case and IMPOSSIBLE to remove without damaging the cases. I've tried boiling them for 20 mins then trying to grab them off with pliers, I've heated them on the flame of the stove and they still wont budge a millimeter. I've also got 2 bearings stuck inside the medium gear inside the diff and they cannot be removed either, I cant even get tools in to tap them out.

I had to put the gearbox together using the spares I have and was able to put new bearings in that one but had to use the old bearings on the diff. Inserting the diff the gearbox is smooth enough but notches slightly at 1 point, is this ok and will it smooth out when breaking it in or should I rebuild it till its completely smooth?