Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  Newbie from Northern Rivers NSW  (Read 1140 times)

Offline NSSherlockTopic starter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 4
Newbie from Northern Rivers NSW
« on: December 13, 2017, 02:33:36 PM »
First post here and I thought it was appropriate to make it here.
I 'aquired' a Rovan Baja 5b. It had been in the shed for nearly two years after my brother discovered he couldn't carry it on as luggage back to Melbourne. I've dug it out and cranked it over. Ordered a remote kill switch (have probably made the mistake of getting a Rovan one), new front shocks (front left is leaking badly and figured I'll try to do something with them later as backups), new front sway bar (bent and split bush) and an RPM front bumper.

Car seems ok but the issue will be with the interface (me) learning to control it. I need somewhere to learn.

I'm located about 20 km south of the NSW /Qld border close to the beach. I'd think there might be a few places to give it a go but of the places I've thought about, one is too close to a pony club, another was used by kids on motorcycles but seems to have not been used for years and is on private property with nowhere to park, and another has big "do not enter" signs because there's a sewage  dump trench there. Exploring other sites.

Me: background in Mech Eng, spent time in IT and am now studying Law while being a carer.

I was going to join a club. Closest to me is Belmont in Qld. We have too many councillors who oppose everything around here.

After reading the thread on the new rules and the new rules I'm now put off about joining that club. It seems there is nowhere for a stock 4b with a stock body and stock (as bought) 4b with the requirement of a body with cut out windows that covers the exhaust. I don't think someone thought this out very well.

Long first post. In usual fashion for me I've been hanging a lot and reading articles and watching videos.

Stacks to learn and I hope to avail myself of the expertise I see here.

Offline Wrangler

• Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 175
    • Nathan
  • Club: SALS
Re: Newbie from Northern Rivers NSW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 06:05:29 PM »
Welcome mate.
The rovan kill switch still work ok 2 of my baja still have them in and working fine.
Someone will correct me if im wrong but I believe stock baja is fine in 2wd outlaw think the body change was more directed at homemade bodies I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Baja Dan

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2944
  • Banned for Life Aye
    • The Worlds Best RC Site, Bar None
  • Location: Jack Lives Here, Jim Lives Here, So, I Live Here.......
  • Club: UHROC
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 11:02:52 PM »
Welcome mate, i’d be surprised if that was the case with the 5b’s, as that would drive a lot of guys away. Maybe deano or baino could shed some light on this. I thought the only restrictions for belmont was the noise, so you would need a silenced exhaust, but go see pete at aussie, he’ll fix you up
Sent from the LSD Naughty corner, using a flashlight and morse code

.... - - .--. ---... -..-. -..-. -... .. - .-.-.- .-.. -.-- -..-. .---- --... .-- ..-. -.. ..-. .-.

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 15413
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
  • Instagram: OzzyMozzyLSD
  • Club: Freestyle Flyers
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 07:16:18 AM »
G'day mate and welcome to LSD headbang
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Aussie Hobbies

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1227
    • Pete
    • Aussie Hobbies
  • Club: QORLS
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 12:30:53 PM »
first up G'day and Welcome , now are you talking a HPI 5B as all you need is a silenced pipe to run at most clubs including Belmont i think your reading the wrong section 1/5th – 2WD Baja Class Specifications starts on page 32   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login go have a good read this is only for state and national events also not day to day club racing hope this helps and problems give me a ring and i will talk to you about them 
Pete   0403545365 anytime
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• LSD Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 03:12:01 PM »
Thanks guys.
Sent a pm to the Qld track guys on FB and was assured the body should be ok.
I was looking at 14.2 for exhaust relating to body :
"Exhaust
As listed in point 9.1 in the general rules of this document all exhaust pipes are to be silenced
The exhaust system may never produce more than 89 DB measured at 10 meters’ distance and 1 meter from
the ground (Only where local Noise restrictions apply)
The exhaust must be fitted under the body shell. The exhaust end pipe may be outside the shell. The pipe
must be fitted so the rearward or to the ground and within the size of the car. In case of the exhaust system
produces more noise than the 89 DB the race director and /or the referee can order the car to come in for a
noise check. "
" under the body" was a concern with the bodies, for lack of a better name for this car, was a possible issue.

I have a noise meter but it's not that accurate over some ranges. I suspect the stock pipe will be too loud. I assume that the requirement for a a silenced pipe is a way out over noise to reduce the need to test in a similar way to motorcycle exhausts need to be stamped with the dB.

Keeping noise down is great but I simply love the growl. Too much time on and at Speedway tracks.

Currently pipe tip points right and silenced one the same so will assume it complies.

The other section I was looking at is in 14.7.1:

"Body Requirements
Body shells must be made from Lexan, Polycarbonate of Polyurethane, under no circumstance should
aluminium or composite aluminium material be used.
The vehicle must run a body shell with cut out windows and access clearly marked for the Stop button on the
fan shroud, alternatively the vehicle may run an aftermarket roll cage but it must have flat panels installed
on both sides, roof and bonnet. "

No cutouts in the slack body on this and roll cage is std.

I get pedantic when reading regulations but I need to be so generally with law and then look into intent behind it but only if there is ambiguity.

I need more tools. Issues getting the side cover off to do the kill switch. It looked so simple. lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Aussie Hobbies

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Pete
    • Aussie Hobbies
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 04:11:24 PM »
mate i think you need to just chill a bit we ain't that dam tough rules are written simple the reason for noise bd is most tracks have to comply with councils & leases if you car is 90 db its not going to be a drama under body is not a drama most guys run a rear mounting pipe like a THOR pipe or similar the main reason side pipes have been canned is to many marshals were being burnt by them , you need to come to the track this sunday if not raining for the last race of the season
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• LSD Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 04:59:59 PM »
Any link to the Thor pipe?
Will try to get to the track on Sunday.
Bit close to the Christmas rush.
I'm not only thinking of on a track regarding exhaust but also around here generally. If I can get the noise down all the better. But deal with if I take it on a track then I don't need to change it again.

Offline Aussie Hobbies

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Pete
    • Aussie Hobbies
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 05:12:09 PM »

link to pipe &in my opinion the better coupler for any of these types of pipes
and dont forget LSD Discount code   M123456789  for 5% Discount
Pete

• LSD Newbie
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 07:18:50 PM »
Thanks Pete. I'll grab them.
I'm spending too much money!
I was only going to get this started and...
Now the loungeroom floor is covered in tools and bits and...
Such is life.

Offline Wrangler

• Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 175
    • Nathan
  • Club: SALS
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 08:14:21 PM »
Thanks guys.
Sent a pm to the Qld track guys on FB and was assured the body should be ok.
I was looking at 14.2 for exhaust relating to body :
"Exhaust
As listed in point 9.1 in the general rules of this document all exhaust pipes are to be silenced
The exhaust system may never produce more than 89 DB measured at 10 meters’ distance and 1 meter from
the ground (Only where local Noise restrictions apply)
The exhaust must be fitted under the body shell. The exhaust end pipe may be outside the shell. The pipe
must be fitted so the rearward or to the ground and within the size of the car. In case of the exhaust system
produces more noise than the 89 DB the race director and /or the referee can order the car to come in for a
noise check. "
" under the body" was a concern with the bodies, for lack of a better name for this car, was a possible issue.

I have a noise meter but it's not that accurate over some ranges. I suspect the stock pipe will be too loud. I assume that the requirement for a a silenced pipe is a way out over noise to reduce the need to test in a similar way to motorcycle exhausts need to be stamped with the dB.

Keeping noise down is great but I simply love the growl. Too much time on and at Speedway tracks.

Currently pipe tip points right and silenced one the same so will assume it complies.

The other section I was looking at is in 14.7.1:

"Body Requirements
Body shells must be made from Lexan, Polycarbonate of Polyurethane, under no circumstance should
aluminium or composite aluminium material be used.
The vehicle must run a body shell with cut out windows and access clearly marked for the Stop button on the
fan shroud, alternatively the vehicle may run an aftermarket roll cage but it must have flat panels installed
on both sides, roof and bonnet. "

No cutouts in the slack body on this and roll cage is std.

I get pedantic when reading regulations but I need to be so generally with law and then look into intent behind it but only if there is ambiguity.

I need more tools. Issues getting the side cover off to do the kill switch. It looked so simple. lol

Think you will find cut out windows is for quick access to the engine kill switch and also pull start for marshals and would only apply to the 5t truck body as the 5b all that is already easy access as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sword26

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 5808
  • Craig
  • Club: Red Lion Rebels
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 02:57:06 PM »
G'day and welcome to L S D thumbsup
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sig by   Chris Allender