Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  Hey good blokes  (Read 1920 times)

Offline mrcyborgTopic starter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • LSD New
  • Liked: 1
    • Simon
Hey good blokes
« on: September 03, 2017, 07:17:06 PM »
Evening good books I presume you all are.
New to the 1/5 scale stuff and haven't bought a car as yet. Few months back I decided that thee cars are what I'm gonna get into. Been struggling with a hobby idea. Can't afford real size fast cars now with kids and with my job I can't loose my licence so I'm dropping the scale a bit.

I live in SA but travel to WA mainly for work and other places. I first saw the rovan copies and was set on getting one but over the last few weeks and more research I'm leaning away from them now. Once I sell a ute I have then I'm all in and ready to buy a car. I'm happy to build and that's a big part of what I enjoy also. I am narrowing down

Losi DBXL looks decent 1300-1400 for initial car RTR but seems like it's got the small motor. And going to need a stack of upgrades. Which is fine as I would like to start with around 2k

That being said by the looks of it the BWS-5B Baja looks quite good for around the 1500 mark and would still allow for spares and upgrades straight up. What do people think of them? I like they have generic style front and rears so plenty of off the shelf options, and I like the new thought on the reverse engine for cooling and straighter driveline layout. Opinions?

Lastly I can see I wouldn't get a new setup for under 2500 but a Kracken Vectra 5 lse. They look awesome, love the proper desert truck style rear end and thought out design. They "seem" like they shouldn't need to many upgrades out of the gate? Please correct me if wrong? And I would hope they would take a fair bashing before they need replacements? But yeah truck like 1900, radio gear 200, battery gear 150 motor 350? Then probably still need exhaust too?

I may look at racing in the future, but really just want something to build and thrash around. Have stacks of Parks and bmx tracks around and I travel for work so shouldn't be to hard to find .
Hit me with your advice

Offline Wrangler

• Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 175
    • Nathan
  • Club: SALS
Hey good blokes
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 08:41:33 PM »
Welcome mate where in sa are you?
The 30N DTT are good trucks i have 1 and love it and race it the bodies are very tuff.

Im interested to hear some feedback on the bws 5b if you go that path i didnt even know of them till now.
All the best with your adventure in 1/5th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 08:43:36 PM by Wrangler »

• LSD New
    • Simon
Re: Hey good blokes
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:44:54 PM »
Hey, I like the ddt trucks tothey look very good. Where did you get yours?
I'm in valley view.

Offline Wrangler

• Sr. LSD Member
    • Nathan
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 08:13:18 AM »
Aussiehobbies i got mine from great guys awesome service and delivered super fast and been very impressed with mine i got the rtr and have only upgraded the battery to lipo and servo so they handle the lipo and recently a 29cc zenoah motor only cos i wanted to.
There is some pretty cool wraps for the 30n bodies to.

Offline Wrangler

• Sr. LSD Member
    • Nathan
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 08:17:06 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey, I like the ddt trucks tothey look very good. Where did you get yours?
I'm in valley view.
Should come for a sunday drive up to Monarto and check out sals 1 day and see what think of racing.

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 15413
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
  • Instagram: OzzyMozzyLSD
  • Club: Freestyle Flyers
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 08:50:41 AM »
Welcome to LSD mate headbang
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Aussie Hobbies

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1227
    • Pete
    • Aussie Hobbies
  • Club: QORLS
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 08:53:37 AM »
G'day Guys well the bws 5b is only new on market we will have the first one racing next week so that will be a big test for it,as for upgrades for bws 5b there is nothing out there YET they will make them but give it a bit of time , the DTT 30n Losi clone is a fantastic truck we sell shit loads of them ONLY one problem with them and thats the diff gears once swapped out for genuine ones no problems some people drive /race them for a full season on DTTl gears others  race a couple of meets and blow them  (when they blow replace)  like any RTR the servos are just servos lol  the bodies are warranted for 3 months that they wont break well i have never had anyone make a claim YET lol overall the DTT is a fantastic truck either as a RTR or a roller  good buy either way
Pete
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Wrangler

• Sr. LSD Member
    • Nathan
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »
G'day Guys well the bws 5b is only new on market we will have the first one racing next week so that will be a big test for it,as for upgrades for bws 5b there is nothing out there YET they will make them but give it a bit of time , the DTT 30n Losi clone is a fantastic truck we sell shit loads of them ONLY one problem with them and thats the diff gears once swapped out for genuine ones no problems some people drive /race them for a full season on DTTl gears others  race a couple of meets and blow them  (when they blow replace)  like any RTR the servos are just servos lol  the bodies are warranted for 3 months that they wont break well i have never had anyone make a claim YET lol overall the DTT is a fantastic truck either as a RTR or a roller  good buy either way
Pete
Keen to hear your thoughts on the bws 5b the lay out looks very interesting.

• LSD New
    • Simon
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 08:23:37 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.
I was looking up the sals meets at monarto and will come down and check it out sometime. What the engine restrictions for racing these things?

I read something about the trucks being heavier than the Baja and there for slower? Is this true?
I know 4wd will be heavier with more gear, but I do want to stick with 4wd still

The BWS-5B I liked because of the changes. Unsure of the diffs as you said but at least the servos were already good and had all alloy housings and so on.
I do like the kracken vekta I'm just not sure I can stretch that far as yet!

Offline Wrangler

• Sr. LSD Member
    • Nathan
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 09:14:52 PM »
Baja are 2wd so totally different class 4wd in the truck would be outlaw and think its 30.5cc tops which is what the DTT comes with and personally i found it to much and dropped to a stock 29cc and doing a lot better for 4wd AARCMMC which is the 5b think max is 26cc but im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.
Definitely check it out but warning racing is addictive!

Hope to see you there!

Offline Baja Dan

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2944
  • Banned for Life Aye
    • The Worlds Best RC Site, Bar None
  • Location: Jack Lives Here, Jim Lives Here, So, I Live Here.......
  • Club: UHROC
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 06:00:46 PM »
If you're looking at racing the 5ive-B, you will need to bear in mind that currently it can only race in the 4wd aarcmcc class. Due to that, you are limited to running a 26cc engine.

The truck can run 4wd outlaw, with different restrictions, i cant remember what they are at the minute
Sent from the LSD Naughty corner, using a flashlight and morse code

.... - - .--. ---... -..-. -..-. -... .. - .-.-.- .-.. -.-- -..-. .---- --... .-- ..-. -.. ..-. .-.

• LSD New
    • Simon
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 09:11:46 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. So far only planned on bashing really as I don't even know if I'll be good enough to race, but have to keep it in mind for the future at least

Offline Wrangler

• Sr. LSD Member
    • Nathan
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 08:28:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. So far only planned on bashing really as I don't even know if I'll be good enough to race, but have to keep it in mind for the future at least
Everyone has to start somewhere racing trust me i have been into rc cars,boats and even helicopters seriously for nearly 20 years started racing start of last year and believe me it is totally different and was hopeless but always improving and enjoy every minute been out with a good bunch of people enjoying the same thing and everyone helps each other and just having fun.

• LSD New
    • Simon
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »
Well good or bad I have ordered a dragon hammer V2 as a kit so it's got the KM36 motor, find pipe and servos in it already.
Have a flysky fs-it4s radio coming and a Lipo battery and charger coming too. Now just have to wait for it looks to arrive!

Offline Mario

• LSD Contributor
  • Full LSD Member
  • Liked: 131
  • Mario
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 12:24:50 PM »
looks interesting... let us know how it holds up to some punishment..

congrats on the buy..

mario

Offline sword26

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 5808
  • Craig
  • Club: Red Lion Rebels
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 02:26:55 PM »
Welcome to L S D, thumbsup headbang
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sig by   Chris Allender