Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  nzbuggy's traxxas erevo brushless  (Read 2588 times)

Offline nzbuggyTopic starter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full LSD Member
  • Liked: 221
  • Chris
nzbuggy's traxxas erevo brushless
« on: May 26, 2017, 07:25:24 AM »
Hi guys, I picked up a used traxxas erevo brushless edition for what I think is a really good price. $550nzd.
Not some guys cup of tea, I know, but it should be a beast none the less.
It has castle monster mamba esc and castle neu 2200kv motor. Should do an easy 100kmph without breaking a sweat.

A few small things to tidy up (like insulation broken on motor wires) but generally in good condition.

First things first. I chopped the traxxas plug(s) off the ESC and soldered on a single deans connector. (stock has 2 x traxxas plugs for 2 x batteries wired in series.)
I made up some wiring harnesses to connect to the newly soldered on single deans connector. So I can now run either 2 batteries in series(doubles voltage), or 2 batteries in parallel (doubles capacity). Or even a combination of both series & parallel- up to 4x 3s batteries)

Here it is with the parallel harness. (will shorten it, I made it in preparation before I had the actual car so didnt know how long to make it)
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here is the series harness. I made 2 x parallel harness which I can then connect together in series to run 4 batteries.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

edit - I use tape not heat shrink for insulation because heat shrink pisses me off. I don't like how it can sometimes work its way down, exposing a minute about of metal / wire underneath. Tape does not slip down, and I dont need to remember to always put it on the wire before doing the soldering!

Next - I had a couple 6s packs from an RC heli. These were too big to fit in the battery compartments so I decided to learn how to tear them apart.
I took quite a few photos of the process, but I dont want to turn this into a Lipo battery butchery thread but could post more about it if there were interest.
Heres what I started with

Removed 1 cell from the 6s packs (I did two packs), to make 2 x 5s batteries that can fit in the compartments

A little testing etc before wrapping it up.

Ta daaa. Fits like a glove.

Would have been nice to run 2 x 6s in parallel for really big capacity 6s but this should be pretty good anyway. 2 x 5s batteries for a total of 5s @ 5300mah

Im very happy with the new plug arrangement. With the standard setup you could not run the 2 large 5s batteries in parallel as its wired in series by default. Having the choice = awesome.

Also, this beastly servo arrived. I got it for the crawler but with the new toy suddenly taking my interest I may put it in that instead.

I hope to take it out for a quick drive after work today, then home to tune the car a little.
I have plans to install a longer travel suspension kit (comes with it from the factory, but the guy never installed it). Change the springs & shock oil (again included with kit when new) and generally give the suspension a good freshen up.

I also have a gyro from a no longer in service Align Helicopter which I plan to install and hook up with the (new) servo.
Will need to swap the receiver for that. But more on this other stuff later :)

cheers
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:43:40 AM by nzbuggy »

• Full LSD Member
  • Chris
Re: nzbuggy's traxxas erevo brushless
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 02:15:34 PM »
Hey cmon now this is a medium scale build bananaf

Offline Pappa Smurf

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1161
  • have fun with LS or you'll go mad
  • Club: LSCV
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 05:41:04 PM »
Better than heli build thumbsup
Grumpy old carnt
1 x Rovan 5b and loving it
2 x gas monos
1 HPI 5b
1 MCD
2 Losi 5iveT
Happy user of Micks Mods motors

5 assorted Aeros
Red Lion Rebel
Bunyip Basher
Leongatha Lout
2013 Nats with Sammy
LSCV No 10

• Full LSD Member
  • Chris
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 07:50:42 PM »
So firstly I would like to reiterate that this is a medium scale build. As evidenced here next to my 1/5. bananaf Both cars got out for a run last weekend.

I decided to install the beastly steering servo in this and not the crawler. Crawler is steering well since I changed the steering linkage setup on it and got rid of all the slop in the steering.

Here is the e revo with savox 2290 servo, and the align heli gyro installed. A bit of icecream container to cover the hole where the second servo used to be.

Align gp790 gyro. This thing is way overkill for a car but anyway. I had it laying around.

savox 2290  (690oz @ 7v).

Here is a video showing the steering correcting itself with high gain / allowing high interference. This can be turned up, down, or off as desired. Im using a simple / cheap (non hacked) flysky gt3b TX & matching flysky (3 channel) receiver.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here is a video showing the steering correcting itself with low gain / allowing minimal interference. Again can be turned up, down, or off as desired. It can actually go much lower. This is on 35 out of 120. Lower is less, higher is more. Much lower and it will hardly move the wheels at all or at least it would make for a crap video. It could be adjusted very precisely if desired to the point is makes only very very minute corrections. and it will make those corrections VERY fast.

Anyone care to humor me?
Posting to myself gets old quick.

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 09:18:15 PM by nzbuggy »

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 15413
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
  • Instagram: OzzyMozzyLSD
  • Club: Freestyle Flyers
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 08:08:15 PM »
I want to see a VID of this running with the gyro.... always wanted to try it but never did.... maybe I should try it on the DBXL dontknow

• Full LSD Member
  • Chris
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 08:22:24 PM »
I want to see a VID of this running with the gyro.... always wanted to try it but never did.... maybe I should try it on the DBXL dontknow
Should be able to make that happen. Probably this weekend. I just got it sussed tonight after a couple nights of messing with it. Im pretty confident its gonna do what we want it to do !boobs!

In the meantime. Here's a vid of it in action on 5s. (no gyro, standard servos) Its very fast and handles/ jumps great. I dont think you would see full throttle in this clip and its substantially faster again on my other batteries. Also brakes on a dime. Something im not used to haha. I put some 18/54 gears in it. (it had 12/64 when I got it ^screwy*) could still pull much taller with ease. spur gear cost $6 and the pinion $10 which is also a welcome change from the usual. (though I run steel in the baja)

little jump. sorry about the crap wrong angle vid. friend took it and sent it to me. Ill take what im given lol.

Where I think the gyro will shine is for lining up jumps and not having the car wonder off track during acceleration/approach. Well I think itll be pretty good for everything actually, but that's my motivation for getting it sorted :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 09:23:51 PM by nzbuggy »

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 08:37:21 PM »
They sure are a little beast!!! Look forward to the gyro vid and hearing your thoughts

• Full LSD Member
  • Chris
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 03:49:30 PM »
I got out this arvo to test the gyro install a little bit. It was short lived lol.
I attempted to drive and film at the same time... Did not last long or end well...
On the bright side the first impressions are very favorable, it tracks very straight and turns awesome. I literally only did about a minute of testing before killing it but there is a future for this thing.

lining up a jump, not allowed to touch the steering.

Here's where it died. Tracks straight though and turns awesome.  check out that little 180deg skid/turn. could never do that with my 1/5.
Killed a tyre and (suspected) dead spur gear. Will open it up after I finish writing this.
This is on 5s (so not max voltage) and not full throttle..its an insane little *ahem medium size* machine.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:52:55 PM by nzbuggy »

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 07:34:14 PM »
Ok thats cool..... get it on the loose dirt and give it full stick headbang

• Full LSD Member
  • Chris
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 05:00:52 AM »
Ok thats cool..... get it on the loose dirt and give it full stick headbang

Yeap.  Didnt really have enough time before failure to test it properly but its doing what we want it to do. May need some simple adjustment up or down, but its doing its thing.
I changed the stripped spur gear last night and will try to pick up some more tires today so we can get back to testing...hopefully next time I can have someone else with me to film haha. I don't think that would have happened if I had proper control of it.  

Im not sure where any loose dirt is around my area...hmmm...best I can think of that's close by would probably be gravel. I could give it a go on that. Maybe similar to loose dirt?
Just to add something visual, here's a picture of the spur gear assembly. I think its quite a cool design how it screws onto a carrier with little replaceable clutch shoes and the clamping force/slip can be adjusted.
hopefully back to testing this arvo.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:06:04 AM by nzbuggy »

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 07:25:15 AM »
I hope you can find some dirt or gravel, you need a slippery surface as that grass is really high grip..... Slipper clutch is a good spur gear saver with the right adjustment, I don't know how many times it saved the spur gear in my old Summit

• Full LSD Member
  • Chris
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 07:37:53 AM »
Ok yep, I know where I can go where there is some gravel. Will try get some tires at lunchtime & convince the misses to come with me to film after work.

Offline Mario

• LSD Contributor
  • Full LSD Member
  • Liked: 131
  • Mario
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 08:38:28 AM »
Ok yep, I know where I can go where there is some gravel. Will try get some tires at lunchtime & convince the misses to come with me to film after work.

Gravel is a bit risky.. only takes one little rock in the wrong place... and you end up with a mess of gears... 

mario.

• Full LSD Member
  • Chris
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 11:42:49 AM »
A trip to the hobby shop at lunchtime yielded some new stuff so the fun can continue.

As well as the tires and a spare spur gear, I also picked up a castle BEC to give the servo some proper power. Not sure I like the idea of the high voltage servo being powered off a small 3d heli gyro made to power a small heli tail servo. lol.
Anyway, ill hopefully get out this arvo and test it as is.(seemed to turn fine even being powered by the gyro). Then install the BEC for the servo in the evening.
Iv only got about 30 mins between when I get home from work and when it gets dark, so unfortunately no time to install before this evenings testing.

cheers

• Full LSD Member
  • Chris
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 08:21:16 AM »
I did get out last night, but just to the grass place. It would have been dark by the time I got to the other place so that will have to wait till the weekend.
I didnt manage to get any good footage (was by myself, and didnt want to break it again) or have enough time to make any meaningful evaluations, other than that my servo saver sucks and is weak, and my front wheels / tires are very unbalanced and are like driving on egg shaped wheels..not ideal for trying to drive straight.

Anyway. I got the BEC installed last night and set to 7.4v to give the servo some proper power.
I also shimmed up the servo saver to make it heaps tighter so we can actually use some that torque.

done

I probably could have stuffed the BEC in the rec box which would make it a bit neater, but castle warns against that due to interference which is why it is where it is. Also I figured heat may be an issue with 6s input and no air flow if it was in rec box.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:00:23 AM by nzbuggy »

• Full LSD Member
  • Chris
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 11:06:47 AM »
Ok well my foray into the heli gyro on rc car has come to an end.
I did quite a bit of testing with it and decided it was not for me.
It works pretty good to make the car go straight, and would be ok for an onroad / speed run car that does not get air born, but its not for the type of bashing I do.

The major problem is that it would still move the front wheels while it was in the air, leading to throwing the car in funny directions mid air / upsetting its balance while in the air. Led to some good crashes lol.

I know traxxas (and im sure some others) have similar gyro systems/steering aids, and the difference I can see between their systems and the heli gyro, is that theirs only corrects the front wheels under acceleration - which would probably help with this issue as you generally don't accelerate while mid flight.
It may be ok (not so upsetting in the air) on something that is heavier / where the front wheels are not such a large amount of the cars mass (e.g. would I dont think it would upset a 5b as much mid air as it does a revo)

Anyway I pulled it out.

Here's a clip of the car on the hill on 5s. Grass is very wet. (notice the water rooster tails)
In the ESC setting I turned the start power to low, and punch control to 90% to try and maintain some driveability of the thing, even then you still need to feather the throttle.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 11:16:19 AM by nzbuggy »