Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  New to 1/5 ? 2017 MCD rr5 ultimate?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Marshy44Topic starter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 8
New to 1/5 ? 2017 MCD rr5 ultimate?
« on: January 01, 2017, 08:32:51 AM »
Hi all,

New to 1/5 and love what you guys are pioneering over past few years. Have always appreciated good quality models in any size. I had success with my 1/10 hotshot and kyosho turbo optima in the 80's when racing prior to cricket, rugby, then beer and girls. Well now kids are growing up and will have a little time again. Always been a 4wd bloke and particularly like the Elcon Imp4ct and the MCD RR5 4wd's. Noticed a new 2017 MCD RR5 ultimate coming out that looks like it's parts were milled from the Hammer of Thor. Money no object, and yes I will race, and yes I will not win until mastered. What do you reckon? Where to buy? Which engine and clutch first up? Any help appreciated.

Offline Baja Dan

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2921
  • Banned for Life
    • The Worlds Best RC Site, Bar None
  • Location: Jack Lives Here, Jim Lives Here, So, I Live Here.......
  • Club: UHROC
Re: New to 1/5 ? 2017 MCD rr5 ultimate?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 04:01:12 PM »
Hit up pagey, he makes a top motor in my opinion
Sent from the LSD Naughty corner, using a flashlight and morse code

.... - - .--. ---... -..-. -..-. -... .. - .-.-.- .-.. -.-- -..-. .---- --... .-- ..-. -.. ..-. .-.

Offline elma fudd

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2038
    • Dave
  • Club: QORLS
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 04:13:39 PM »
Hi Marshy since your up our way I would go Elcon impact as Callan from King Rc races at Belmont so parts are always there.As for motor you'll be needing a efra spec,makes micks mod,G4z,MSR, I running the last rooster tail in my Nrp Ultron. clutch Elcon is a good clutch
" IF YOUR NOT ELCON YOUR NOT WELCON "

Offline in rod we trust

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2483
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 06:42:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi Marshy since your up our way I would go Elcon impact as Callan from King Rc races at Belmont so parts are always there.As for motor you'll be needing a efra spec,makes micks mod,G4z,MSR, I running the last rooster tail in my Nrp Ultron. clutch Elcon is a good clutch

ultron  have you got it finished yet  just about finished my 1.1 car taken me quicker time than your ultron ...

but dave is right elcon seem to be popular in qld

also mcd is one great car as well won the euro champs last yr beat all the other brands and is a awesome machine  the ultimate is on great looking awesome car

franco ( user name   beats me )  is the aust distributor for mcd im sure he could do you a good deal

good luck with your choice

or you could go for the best 4wd on the market imo ... the losi 5b buggy now thats a weapon  and would be my first choice above the others

Offline Aussie Hobbies

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1223
    • Pete
    • Aussie Hobbies
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 09:14:17 PM »
yep the 5B is a great buggy it's on the podium every race day in all states for the price of buggy at $1749 and parts are cheap compared to the MCD, FG, Elcon  my money would be on the 5B
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• LSD Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 11:31:17 PM »
Thanks Fudd, Rod and all for guidance. Keen on Elcon if parts are readily available as I assume I will need plenty starting out. Would hope new model Imp4ct would be produced soon as just like my full size cars, hate buying outgoing spec. When did the Imp4ct come out?
Also have considered the Losi 5b and love the cab forward bodies on the latest RR5 and the 5b.
Much to think about. Will turn out in Feb at Belmont to check out the rigs.

Offline Parky19

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2890
  • JAP Racing 'Driven by quality and teamwork'
    • Andrew
    • Geelong R.C. Offroaders Inc.
  • Instagram: DrewParky
  • Location: Geelong Motorsport Complex, Red Lion, Avalon Raceway, Victoria Australia
  • Club: Geelong R.C. Off Roaders Inc. / Red Lion Rebels / Victorian Quarterscale Speedway
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 12:31:37 AM »
Once setup, the RR5 will require little maintenance - the ultimates are extremely horny looking machines.  After seeing the MRS engines my money would be in one of them. Elcons have had some updates recently.  You will get good support whichever way you go.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Geelong R.C. Offroaders Inc. President

Offline Baino

• Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1878
  • Elcon MMX XL
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 03:45:51 PM »
If you are looking to race, which is awesome headbang, and really want to master it while being fast and reliable, in my opinion there is no better car than an Imp4ct on the market to date. All the top drivers in the AARCMCC class race and have raced them and have had nothing but success.
As for parts to start out, well thats up to you and how you treat the car..will only break from crashes or fail from poor wrenching skills.
The best thing about these cars is from the get go, they come as a kit, one big box of shiny man jewellery. Building the car is a bucket load of fun and satisfaction, which also gives you the pre knowledge of how everything works..you dont get that experience from some other models.
I also cant speak highly enough of Callan @ King Rc. His service and knowledge with Elcons is second to none.
Hit him up mate, everything you need to know is with him.
Good luck and happy choosing thumbsup

Offline Baino

• Addicted LSD Member
  • Elcon MMX XL
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 03:56:24 PM »
Aahh and sorry Franco and MCD...just realised this thread is in the MCD section..my bad

Offline in rod we trust

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 05:27:12 PM »
for the price of the impact you can almost get 3 losi buggies and they are just as good as the impact  just as fast and just as good if not better ...

not to mention you can get parts for the losi buggy any where not just 1 distributor which can make up there own prices  ..

you got all sorts of aftermarket parts for the losi world wide 

also the buggy   once you get sick of the buggy you can transform it to 5t truck form

and if you get sick of  offroad racing you can transform it to a losi mini onroad

best car on the market is the losi for parts for choice for everything ...

good luck and enjoy the hobby

Offline Baino

• Addicted LSD Member
  • Elcon MMX XL
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 08:29:55 PM »
for the price of the impact you can almost get 3 losi buggies and they are just as good as the impact  just as fast and just as good if not better ...

not to mention you can get parts for the losi buggy any where not just 1 distributor which can make up there own prices  ..

also the buggy   once you get sick of the buggy you can transform it to 5t truck form

and if you get sick of  offroad racing you can transform it to a losi mini onroad

Ill try not to argue with you too much on this Ambro because we all know how that goes but... your first paragraph is a complete lie, price lie,..performance, well its yet to be seen by anyone...especially you!!

Anyway,  5B is a good Buggy sure, but judging by marshy's first post..he wants the best of the best, "money no object". If he wants to look at podium pics for AARCMCC over the Nats years then he will see what im talking about
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:31:54 PM by Baino »

Offline in rod we trust

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 10:21:00 PM »
for the price of the impact you can almost get 3 losi buggies and they are just as good as the impact  just as fast and just as good if not better ...

not to mention you can get parts for the losi buggy any where not just 1 distributor which can make up there own prices  ..

also the buggy   once you get sick of the buggy you can transform it to 5t truck form

and if you get sick of  offroad racing you can transform it to a losi mini onroad

Ill try not to argue with you too much on this Ambro because we all know how that goes but... your first paragraph is a complete lie, price lie,..performance, well its yet to be seen by anyone...especially you!!

Anyway,  5B is a good Buggy sure, but judging by marshy's first post..he wants the best of the best, "money no object". If he wants to look at podium pics for AARCMCC over the Nats years then he will see what im talking about

sure it is ,,,

we all know that its the drivers who make the cars
put those same drivers in a losi and you,ll be eating your words

seen plenty of these high priced cars get no where here and overseas ,,  cost almost 5gs to set up a elcon  from new 4wd car ,, i may have been out of racing longer than you been in it but i still can read and see what is going on around the world champ

Offline Baino

• Addicted LSD Member
  • Elcon MMX XL
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 12:09:04 AM »
Ok Ambro, you know all..after all you the man right?!
Should have known better than to call you out.

Only thing you keep bringing up over me is how long you been out of racing compared to my racing...well that's over taken, ive been in it for over 3 years now and raced EVERY State and National title event in those years....
But please CHAMP...continue with your up to date wisdom, we ALL appreciate it!!
Sorry Marshy but I will say to you, you would get more of the true and honest feedback if the 'real' racers stuck around on this forum like they used to. If it wasnt for parasites like this guy, they would still be here!!
Again Apologies to Franco/MCD and now Ozzy/LSD
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:16:00 AM by Baino »

Offline in rod we trust

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 01:04:58 AM »

Only thing you keep bringing up over me is how long you been out of racing compared to my racing...well that's over taken, ive been in it for over 3 years now and raced EVERY State and National title event in those years....
Sorry Marshy but I will say to you, you would get more of the true and honest feedback if the 'real' racers stuck around on this forum like they used to. If it wasnt for parasites like this guy, they would still be here!!

did i call you names ya *tosser*

people give a opinion  and you get on thinking you know it all and yet your just a newbie at all of this large scale you abuse basher's and anybody who doesnt agree with your views    and you so called racer;s aint even active on ya facebook site  ...
the pot calling the kettle black ...

better look in the mirror and see yourself bet you will be shocked ....
dont need to look close either you can see it a mile away ...real racer;s what a joke  ... its a hobby for fun  

your the first person to bag anybody if they have a different opinion  to yours  the place has gone dead since you be active on here  so maybe have a good look in the mirror ,,,,

even the euro commentators thought  you were a joke the way you carried on ,,

anyway im going to have a great yr doing what i like and enjoy maybe you need to do that too and let people have a opinion without abising them  ...

i wont waste another second on you .. your a oxygen thief

have a great yr all the best

sorry to the original poster of this thread   im sure you will buy what suits you dont matter what car ya have  just enjoy the hobby and have fun ...

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 01:14:24 AM by in rod we trust »

Offline Baino

• Addicted LSD Member
  • Elcon MMX XL
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 01:11:33 AM »

did i call you names ya *tosser*

people give a opinion  and you get on thinking you know it all and yet your just a newbie at all of this large scale you abuse basher's and anybody who doesnt agree with your views    and you so called racer;s aint even active on ya facebook site  ...
the pot calling the kettle black ...

better look in the mirror and see yourself bet you will be shocked ....
dont need to look close either you can see it a mile away ...real racer;s what a joke  ... its a hobby for fun   

your the first person to bag anybody if they have a different opinion  to yours  the place has gone dead since you be active on here  so maybe have a good look in the mirror ,,,,

even the euro commentators thoyght you were a joke the way you carried on ,,

anyway i, going to have a great yr doing what i like and enjoy maybe you need to do that too and let people have a opinion without abising them  ...

have a great yr all the best

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• LSD Newbie
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 08:27:37 AM »
All good fellas.

I sense a great deal of passion towards the sport and the different makes available.

All (5b,imp4ct,rr5) rides look fantastic. I am sure there are plenty of drivers that spend 5k and have a blast coming middle or back of the pack. Just as I am sure there are some drivers in 2.5k setups that are winning. If I can end up somewhere in the mix I will be stoked. Looking forward to a build project, and yes that latest offering by MCD is a sexy looking beast.

Just a question on the front arms of these large cars, do you see a lot of breaks in the aluminium over the poly? Or opposite? Sometimes shiny means snap!

• LSD Newbie
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 08:39:11 AM »
Once setup, the RR5 will require little maintenance - the ultimates are extremely horny looking machines.  After seeing the MRS engines my money would be in one of them. Elcons have had some updates recently.  You will get good support whichever way you go.

Which specific engines would you recommend for beginner? Choices?

Offline Aussie Hobbies

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1223
    • Pete
    • Aussie Hobbies
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 10:04:40 AM »
all the buggies your talking about need to run a 26cc engine imo just starting out go with a stock Zenoah 27cc less problems for you to worry about
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jester Racing

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2994
  • Damian
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 11:55:04 AM »
I would second that.....then just kit it up after a while.
The older I get, the bigger the toys........

Offline Baino

• Addicted LSD Member
  • Elcon MMX XL
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 12:01:19 PM »
Agree..with a good pipe and quality lightened flywheel

Offline Mental1ty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 492
  • GOLD FINGER
  • Club: Australia #1 QORLS
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 02:27:36 PM »
WOW What a thread this one has turned out to be.
Mate Welcome firstly.
If money is no option they are all on par. Its always the best drivers winning not the best cars. Its as you say your driving skill not the ride. People will always push their own brand and that's OK.
If it looks sexy and you like the look of it then go for it.
But if you have the mindset that your in it for the fun then your on the right track.

!rccar!
Xi Losi

GOLD FINGER

Offline Baino

• Addicted LSD Member
  • Elcon MMX XL
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2017, 02:30:04 PM »
Well said Stu 👍👍

Offline Mental1ty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 492
  • GOLD FINGER
  • Club: Australia #1 QORLS
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2017, 03:16:01 PM »
Oh I forgot that the Right Track is QORLS
The bestest track in OZ

1lma00!
Xi Losi

GOLD FINGER

Offline Baja Dan

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2921
  • Banned for Life
    • The Worlds Best RC Site, Bar None
  • Location: Jack Lives Here, Jim Lives Here, So, I Live Here.......
  • Club: UHROC
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 07:10:18 PM »
Oh I forgot that the Right Track is QORLS
The bestest track in OZ

1lma00!

Where's that dislike button again.... 

UHROC is the best in Oz!
Sent from the LSD Naughty corner, using a flashlight and morse code

.... - - .--. ---... -..-. -..-. -... .. - .-.-.- .-.. -.-- -..-. .---- --... .-- ..-. -.. ..-. .-.

Offline elma fudd

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2038
    • Dave
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 07:27:03 PM »
I think it might be best Dan if this thread moved to a general section as it not really strictly mcd anymore.
" IF YOUR NOT ELCON YOUR NOT WELCON "