Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  G'Day Trend Setters  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Greedy GuidoTopic starter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Full LSD Member
  • Liked: 105
  • Club: QORLS
G'Day Trend Setters
« on: December 30, 2016, 04:12:37 PM »
G'Day Trend Setters,

Been watching the site for a few months and though it was time to sign up and introduce myself.

Very new to RC's.  Purchase a series of magazines that had all the parts for a Nitro Monster truck when my son was born and put it in storage until he got big enough to build it together.  Two years ago when he was seven we started putting it together and after a few days it was completed (turns out it was a Thunder Tiger SSK).  We tried to get it going and after about 10 mintutes of running it stopped and wouldn't start again.  We put it away and forgot about it for 18 months.

Last school holidays my little boy (now nine) wanted to get it going so I pulled it out, read up on carby adjustments and in 1 hour it was running.  In the excitement I forgot it needed running in and managed to damage the big end (little oil port may have been clogged from the initial running 18 months previous).  Went down to the local hobby shop (OZRC) and had Gerard (owner) fit a HPI engine he had sitting around for a $100 installed and tuned.  Gerard advised on the best run in procedure which I followed very carefully and my little boy and myself have been having fun with it ever since.  We take it out at least twice a week for two to three tanks each time.  The SSK has held up pretty well except for diff pinions.  We only get 8 to 10 tanks before a pinion is chewed out.  Most likely due to the fact that the HPI engine is double the size of the stock.  This little Thunder Tiger SSK went from a 60kph top end speed to about 90kph top end speed with the new motor.

Anyway, with multiple trips to the local hobby store the RC bug came on hard and strong.  My son fell in love with the HPI Baja while I though the LOSI Desert Buggy was where the action was.  Decided we would get one for Christmas.  Was finding it hard to get a HPI Baja (most shops were out of stock with wholesaler also out of stock) so we decided on the LOSI Desert Buggy. OZRC did me a good deal on it so come Christmas day we had a new toy.  Still running it in and looking at what improvements we should add to it (having some problems with the kill switch).  Picked up a DDM exhaust from Mild to Wild RC (also reasonably close to home) as OZRC didn't have any in stock.  Will add it once the motor is run in.

I also purchased a LOSI Night Crawler for my little girl.  The boys from OZRC made her a custom pink shell as she want a pink one.  Already run three charges through it (battery last about 1h) and the kids are requesting me to build a rock crawler course in the back yard.  We have even gone to OZRC and played on the rock crawler course they have upstairs.

Well that's it for now with 3 members of the family well on their way to RC addiction.  No doubt I will see you all on the Board.

We are on the North side of Brisbane (Aspley) and run both the Thunder Tiger SSK and LOSI Desert Buggy at Marchant Park on the crick ovals (we stay away from the pitch areas).  We are now looking for places to run both the LOSI Desert Buggy and LOSI Night Crawler.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:13:34 PM by Greedy Guido »
Sorry, My Fault.
I forgot you're an idiot.

Offline Aussie Hobbies

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1227
    • Pete
    • Aussie Hobbies
Re: G'Day Trend Setters
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 04:52:34 PM »
welcome mate hope you enjoy your new toys lot of info on here
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Baja Dan

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2944
  • Banned for Life Aye
    • The Worlds Best RC Site, Bar None
  • Location: Jack Lives Here, Jim Lives Here, So, I Live Here.......
  • Club: UHROC
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 06:00:49 PM »
welcome to the madhouse mate, those magazine's would have been a very expensive way to get the bug, just dont get dis-heartened, there is plenty of knowledge here. if in doubt ask.
Sent from the LSD Naughty corner, using a flashlight and morse code

.... - - .--. ---... -..-. -..-. -... .. - .-.-.- .-.. -.-- -..-. .---- --... .-- ..-. -.. ..-. .-.

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 15435
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
  • Instagram: OzzyMozzyLSD
  • Club: Freestyle Flyers
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 06:20:17 PM »
Welcome to the hobby and LSD mate thumbsup
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 07:59:17 PM »
welcome to the madhouse mate, those magazine's would have been a very expensive way to get the bug, just dont get dis-heartened, there is plenty of knowledge here. if in doubt ask.

I knew it would be more expensive but it meant my son and I could build it from the ground up.  The magazines have a lot of useful information for the beginner and I still use them as they have detailed information and diagrams on all aspects of RC (Electric and Nitro).

I am pretty sure I am going to give the LOSI forum section a working over the next 6 months.  Everything I know about RC's you could write on the back of a postage stamp.
Sorry, My Fault.

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 08:01:24 PM »
On another note I am coming to the realization that RC's get expensive once you have the RC bug.  My little boy has a list as long as your arm for LOSI DBXL mods.
Sorry, My Fault.

Offline Baja Dan

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2944
  • Banned for Life Aye
    • The Worlds Best RC Site, Bar None
  • Location: Jack Lives Here, Jim Lives Here, So, I Live Here.......
  • Club: UHROC
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 08:03:12 PM »
Your knowledge will increase, collectively there is hundreds if not thousands of years knowledge here.

A good place to start is a kit car, because as you build it, you learn how to fix it.
Sent from the LSD Naughty corner, using a flashlight and morse code

.... - - .--. ---... -..-. -..-. -... .. - .-.-.- .-.. -.-- -..-. .---- --... .-- ..-. -.. ..-. .-.

Offline Baino

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1878
  • Elcon MMX XL
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 07:02:52 PM »
Welcome to the family. Definitely a great way to spend some bonding time with the kiddos headbang.
Will not help the bug at all but you guys should come and check out some racing action at QORLS. We kick off the new season on the 5th of Feb. Have a chat to a few of the guys, get some tips..do's and dont's etc..check out some racing. Ive never seen a youngen leave without a smile. thumbsup

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 09:53:56 PM »
Welcome to the family. Definitely a great way to spend some bonding time with the kiddos headbang.
Will not help the bug at all but you guys should come and check out some racing action at QORLS. We kick off the new season on the 5th of Feb. Have a chat to a few of the guys, get some tips..do's and dont's etc..check out some racing. Ive never seen a youngen leave without a smile. thumbsup

We have already added this to the calendar.  Does QORLS have open days where members can turn up just to run their toys around the course.  We aren't thinking of racing on the 5th but might bring the DBXL just to get some pointers on its setup.   Not sure if my boy is old enough to be running a 1/5 scale buggy in race conditions.
Sorry, My Fault.

Offline Baino

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1878
  • Elcon MMX XL
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 07:17:15 AM »
We possibly wont be scheduling a test and tune day before round 1 due to track work this month.
We can only run cars on Sundays which is a shame but thats our lease agreement with the QRA.
If we do get an opportunity, it will be posted here on our club section.
If your son can handle a car well enough then age isnt an issue at all. A few other things around that but no need to get into that stuff right now.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk