Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  T.R Snapper clutch  (Read 11864 times)

Offline maxit

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1830
  • Run Hard and Fast
Re: T.R Snapper clutch
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 07:39:05 PM »
Ambro..

The problem is exactly that there are more people coming forward and having problems.

The taper is out.. Or the hard anodising has caused the problem. I just can't believe his negativity at the moment and blaming everyone else.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Extreme Speed Team, Worlds Fastest Hpi Baja 189 kph! BZM 50cc

Offline doaba

• Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 112
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2015, 06:21:54 AM »
Just like a lot of new products that promise the world before this..they should test these things on the biggest motor available at the time, send them to people to test rigorously before its released to the market..i hear of some uber zero growth tyre failures also..now they also promised the world

Offline Reaper

• Full LSD Member
  • Liked: 68
  • Aussie Baja Bashers (face book group)
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2015, 09:06:25 AM »
Isn't the clutch available with 2 dif tapers a long and a short
Apparently Dave told the guy in vid how to fix

If you not bringing it home in a bag then you not having a go

Offline maxit

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2015, 04:07:01 PM »
I don't think it's all user error... I read one comment one guy stripped to screws & basically torqued to no return. Not tested it yet.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline maxit

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
well this guy has followed all the instructions that was given to him and withing 10 min it started slipping.. Check the inside what your thoughts. this is on a RCmax 46 no different to a standard clutch plate tapper.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 01:22:37 PM by maxit »

Offline Driftclown

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 507
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2015, 04:59:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
well this guy has followed all the instructions that was given to him and withing 10 min it started slipping.. Check the inside what your thoughts. this is on a RCmax 46 no different to a standard clutch plate tapper.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

clearly the simple solution is DONT BY TURTLE RACING GEAR

Offline rx2_freak

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 901
  • Phil
  • Club: EATME
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2015, 06:40:43 PM »

clearly the simple solution is DONT BY TURTLE RACING GEAR

thats not right, all his other products are awesome quality. this being a new product for them its bound to have a few teething problems.

Offline atmmak5

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2547
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2015, 07:27:08 PM »
The smaller cc guys seem to be having no hick ups. Lack of testing on the big bores before hitting shelves me thinks has led to this. Bet he regrets making them for the big bores.
End of the day hoping he gets it sorted  dontknow for the big cc,s

Offline nitrocat

• Full LSD Member
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 07:44:49 PM »
The problem is most are over geared and anything will get hot it's like taking off in a 6 speed car in third gear
Yes it can be done but not very long
Using Tapatalk

Offline maxit

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2015, 08:00:18 PM »
I can't understand. Why he hard anodised the inside of the tapper. The bigbore engine have over 12 hp some even more. You can clearly see that the crank isn't going in far enough. And is resting on the edge of the taper of the crank. It's just not enough grab. The guys trying to install them have really done the right thing as the bolts that have been supplied wouldn't of bottomed out since the clutch hasn't seated correctly. As for over gearing what would be the point of owning a bigbore if you couldn't do that. Running below  24/50 on a Rcmax to me isn't enough. I don't think the clutch is bad I think the pressure of everyone wanting it took place. Testing needs to be done.  all around the world not just in one area. We expect it in engine what the difference in this. IMO 

Offline atmmak5

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2547
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2015, 09:57:03 PM »
Hoping they allowed for the micron thickness when doing calculations on the internal taper as it does add half of the micron amount anodised on.That doubles though when it's round. Be good to know what micron they added.
+ 1 on world wide testing and  at least a vid with a big bore.A fan boys twin running on concrete for a minute don't cut it for me  *thumbsdown*

Offline maxit

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2015, 11:12:27 PM »
Yep.... Can't see the sense of it really.. No real benefit for it. I'm guessing the tested  ones didn't have it. Let's hope it gets sorted for them, I'm sure a few have gone out.  I have a look at when mine arrives mite have to do some mods on it.

Offline pgk

• LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2015, 12:53:47 AM »
Hopefully for a lot of 1/5th scale guys they will get it figured out, it would be nice to have a clutch that lasted more than a few tanks. :(

Offline maxit

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2015, 11:58:48 AM »
I don't know what more this guy can do... He has followed all the instructions that was given to him. There i obviously a problem with design and tolerances in the tapper. its the only explanation.

Offline doaba

• Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 112
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2015, 12:11:51 PM »
Like alot of these new products that are advertised as being the be all and end all.. They weren't simply tested on rcmax motors.. What they should have done is perhaps send some to be tested by different owners of rcmax motors and then seek feedback Before it is released to the market.. This allows Any defects to be sorted out earlier.. It isn't rocket science

Offline Mr.Leopard

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 310
  • GGF
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2015, 02:21:43 PM »
My clutch is gona skeet all over every clutch on the market.....ive had my fair share of different types of clutches hehe

The question is when??

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk 2

Offline in rod we trust

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2482
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2015, 02:45:52 PM »
i think these type style clutch would be better suited to the smaller mtrs than bigger one's

i think with these style clutch system that once the lugs that lock on to the bell wear out these  will be a slippery as a banana ...

qestion is how long before you may need to replace lugs or bell or both..

by the way don't you blokes use damo's ultra clutch how's that been going ???? need a good one for this twin i'm building
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:52:26 PM by in rod we trust »

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 15286
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
  • Instagram: OzzyMozzyLSD
  • Club: Freestyle Flyers
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2015, 03:04:35 PM »
I have the Ultra clutch Ambro, it takes the punishment of the RT in the Losi very well... Can't believe how it doesn't bog the car down, power delivered straight from the get go!

Offline elma fudd

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2038
    • Dave
  • Club: QORLS
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »
The ultra clutch was up to 46cc but Damo close to releasing a big bore version.Least testing will be done 1st..
" IF YOUR NOT ELCON YOUR NOT WELCON "

Offline in rod we trust

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2482
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2015, 03:55:48 PM »
I don't know what more this guy can do... He has followed all the instructions that was given to him. There i obviously a problem with design and tolerances in the tapper. its the only explanation.

i wouldn't just believe this bloke .. why is he the only one having probs ..

how many other clutches have you tried that promises the world but you only get cambodia..

im sure dave would fix any issue that didn't come up in there test version's ..
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:03:38 PM by in rod we trust »

Offline elma fudd

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2038
    • Dave
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2015, 04:25:13 PM »
Problem is Ambro he not the only one having issues...I wish if it's a mistake on TR part admit it fix it move on.
" IF YOUR NOT ELCON YOUR NOT WELCON "

Offline maxit

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2015, 09:33:13 PM »
Ok guys finally arrived and it looks the part. Its light and is hard anodised all over in dark grey..

After reading the problems that some guys have been having I thought I would start with the clutch plate. My testing is with a brand new stroker crank never been used. Not a Rcmax crank but is tapered the same. I have several clutches & clutch plate and they all fitted perfectly like a glove as soon as you actually put these other makes out seated really well. No movement or feeling of hollowness.  You will see that I took measurements of each clutch & plate. Even a cheap ass so called clutch cooler seated well.  The flat screw hex thst comes with the pack is fine on my crank when applying the snapper clutch plate. Ok on first impression the clutch doesn't seat well IMO and spins around the crank where all the others fit well and actually grab the crank without tightening them. You will will see I placed marks on the crank in red to show you where the clutch taper starts on tne crank and where the TR finishes my opinion stands  there isn't enough to grab orotund the crank as it needs to go at leas anothe 2 mm or more. It just doesn't feel right... I haven't checked yet how far forward it sends the clutch towards the basket as I haven received the basket I'm waiting for which is The standard blackbone to fit a Baja. As I seen that the basket also are short on the blackbone shaft. Which they shouldn't of been. I would put this ad another defect. Hopefully sorted in the next batch.

I may add that all the other clutches seated all the way down to the end of the tapered crank closer to the con rod.

Here are some pick if you have any comments and thoughts would be great.

A base mark where the lauterbacher clutch finished on the crank.

Next is a tourex clutch brand new... Waist of money.

2 shoe aluminuim shoes lauterbacher.

One of my old favourites Elcon with lauterbacher springs..

Your standard clutch plate...

You can just see that the crank goes all the way up to the top of the inside of the taper seats really good. Feels and grabs no spinning around or hollowness or movement. I don't even have to torque the bolt down to much it locks in hard.

Ok a cheap piece of crap cooling clutch plate even this seats well.

Now what you all been waiting for you can see how far it is away from the end of the taper.

This is a Crank with the line markings where the tapper finishes and the Tr finishes the line closer to the crank is the finish of the taper  And I said above I don't know at the moment how this will effect the clutch from the basket. I will install, this on my T/S. Engine with a clutch holder to test for any friction.

[/URL
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 09:56:01 PM by maxit »

Offline Jester Racing

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2989
  • Damian
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:41 PM »
Oops.......doesn't look good.
I have to say that the hard anno will not make anywhere near that much difference on what is a pretty large angle taper.
The diference on the length would only be less than half a mm.
To me it looks like they are either not using guaging or the test guage is incorrect.
Either way it is certainly a quality issue not a fitting issue. 
All in all you are losing about 25% engagment of the taper which is not good..... *thumbsdown*
The older I get, the bigger the toys........

Offline maxit

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2015, 11:31:49 PM »
Mate I'm totally in agree.. I think the sad thing is there is denial and a a lack of proper testing on the bigbore engine.all there's measurements should of being doubled checked not only the taper but the basket.   Remembering that the smaller engine have less than half the hp. May not make a difference for a while. Anyways my testing will commence once I get my basket. Oh I'm going to,take it to a machinist with a correct taper reamer.as to,send it back would cost probably just as much to repair correctly. 

Offline maxit

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2015, 06:40:30 AM »
Is there anyone here with a Rcmax 46... That is willing to take off there exciting clutch and take a pic on where the clutch plate finishes on there crank. I believe they are saying that there has been 3 diffret sizes of taper used to accommodate a standard clutch plate taper. I could even send you this tr to test the seating of it. But I would require it back. Even thou it's really doesn't seat well on a tankard clutch crank.