Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  rovan baja  (Read 1171 times)

Offline stevenTopic starter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • LSD New
  • Liked: 11
rovan baja
« on: August 20, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »

Hi there guys,
Im not new to 1/5 scale, ive owned a losI 5t for some time, which I bought brand new and have spent a lot of cash on upgrades which seems to be normal. So im aware that when you buy a new car that certain parts will need to be upgraded. My 17 year old nephew really wants to get a car and join in the fun but as you all know these cars cost lots of cash and only being 17 he has a small budget and cant afford the best kind of car. So weve been looking around and came across the rovan baja buggy for $519 on ebay and $650 at powerslide racing. It sounds like a great entry level car for the cost and the replacement parts are cheap, so im aware that it wont be the best quality car but might do just to have a go. He really cant afford the hpi baja so its like get this car and have a go or nothing cause the hpi is double the price.  I would really appreciate advice on any issues we will have to deal with if we get the rovan. Id love to hear about anyones experiances Thanks

Offline sword26

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 5807
  • Craig
  • Club: Red Lion Rebels
Re: rovan baja
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 07:18:16 PM »
Gday and welcome to L S D, nothing really wrong with a Rovan Baja, you will start with a Rovan and end up with a bitsa anyway.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sig by   Chris Allender

Offline Baja Dan

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2848
  • Banned for Life
    • The Worlds Best RC Site, Bar None
  • Location: Jack Lives Here, Jim Lives Here, So, I Live Here.......
  • Club: UHROC
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 07:22:16 PM »
*waiting on richo to chime in with the 'rovans are better than sex' spiel...*  ^screwy*
Sent from the LSD Naughty corner, using a flashlight and morse code

.... - - .--. ---... -..-. -..-. -... .. - .-.-.- .-.. -.-- -..-. .---- --... .-- ..-. -.. ..-. .-.

Offline rx2_freak

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 901
  • Phil
  • Club: EATME
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 07:22:32 PM »
Yeah theres nothing wrong with the rovan baja for a starter, it'll end up with more upgrades than stock parts eventually anyway. Just stock up on stock parts as you'll more than likely break some.

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 15187
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
  • Instagram: OzzyMozzyLSD
  • Club: Freestyle Flyers
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 07:51:50 PM »
I think at 17 it's a great starter and he if he likes to tinker, fix and modify he will love it....
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline savage600

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1389
  • Sometime's Darkness, will show you the light.
  • Club: 1 Wood
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 08:08:59 PM »
Hey buddy, welcome to LSD mate thumbsup

At a starting point, the Rovan will be fine for you, but keep in mind, things will barke and wear out, but thats part of the hobby.

We had a saying when I flew, " fly what you can afford ", so this could be the same for cars mate " drive what you can afford".

What ever you start with or will end up with, enjoy it mate.

Cheers Dave.
Hpi Firestorm E Flux
Axial SCX10
Motor work by Mick Mods ( a.k.a. Pagey04)
Heli's also in the mix.

Offline G4sm4n

• LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 23
    • Australian Gaming Enthusiasts
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 08:20:23 PM »
Bought a rovan second hand off ebay, competes well with the real ones. Havnt broken anything yet. Good value in my opinion.If hes gonna thrash it expect to break things though.

Offline stevenTopic starter

• LSD New
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 08:53:36 PM »
Thanks heaps fellas for your replies, I reckon it will be a good starter car and it will be ok as long as its not thrashed to death, the best part is he can experiance 1/5 scale without having to pay too much to start off with. With some help and advice on how to look after it he should be ok ,but accidents happen all the time and we will deal with that when it happens, he has a lot of experiance with 1/10 nitro cars so hes not new to rc and he drives well.