Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  My first Baja - yay !!  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Screamer DesignsTopic starter

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1022
  • Previous username : kamipalms
    • Screamer Designs
My first Baja - yay !!
« on: June 11, 2015, 10:54:12 PM »
Picked up a 5B ss a couple of months ago and I'm slowly getting gear together to get this thing to a point where its race ready.
I purchased a 5Sc kit from Fallout ( thanks Justin headbang ) so I can run a TC cage which I want to do some body paneling for.

I'm not going to go into too much detail about all the fancy name brand parts going into this build as most will be visible in the pics as they come along but what I will go into ( just a little ) is how I do things or how some custom parts come about.

To get the ball rolling, I'll start with the engine.
I'm just going to use the Cy 26cc 2 bolt for now .

A first time showing for me - here's how I do my engine mods

I remove a lot of material
I open the transfers right up, re timed and case match
I caved in and fit a new set of high speed bearings ....
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Ports are re timed and opened right up
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I don't smooth out or polish the ports , I leave them rough for a reason.

As I don't have access to a mill or lathe , I cheated a little with bumping up the compression.
0.25mm steel shim is now the new cylinder gasket
I also went this way because I removed so much material in the transfers/ transfer ramps, a paper type gasket would probably blow out in no time.
The shim is sealed with non hardening " Form'a'gasket "

Also fitted a set of zero drag seals front and rear - only because I've had them laying around for the last 3 years ...

Piston mods ( forgot to grab some pics - sorry ... ) I cut a light curve through the piston skirt on the intake side to help with timing and intake charge along with M cuts either side of the piston pin - which I think everyone does these days.

More soon,
Jay

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Nardz27

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 721
Re: My first Baja - yay !!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 12:09:31 AM »
Should be a pretty wild cy26 once you've got it going mate! keen to see how it performs on the track thumbsup

Offline corty351w

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1937
  • Shane
  • Club: GRCOR
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 06:41:01 AM »
Just be careful with the zero drag crank seals on a offroad engine, they will let fine dust through.

GRCOR Member #0001

Offline Waxie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 302
  • No you cant have a shot!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 08:14:30 AM »
Where did you learn to port like that?

It looks a little excessive for a race motor........
Bajas are hard to controll at the best of times and a lot of guys just run stock just to keep it under controll and go the distance especially when just getting in to racing.

For bashing though, more power is never enough.  !woohoo!

Can't wait to see a video of it running, should be a beast.

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Screamer Designs
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 11:14:13 AM »
Should be a pretty wild cy26 once you've got it going mate! keen to see how it performs on the track thumbsup

I hope so Luke . I plan to gear this thing to use the mid to top end rpm range so off the line and exiting corners it's already within the power band.
Traction and "dravability" may be a problem though ...

Just be careful with the zero drag crank seals on a offroad engine, they will let fine dust through.

Something I'll keep an eye on . Thanks for that thumbsup

Where did you learn to port like that?

It looks a little excessive for a race motor........
Bajas are hard to controll at the best of times and a lot of guys just run stock just to keep it under controll and go the distance especially when just getting in to racing.

For bashing though, more power is never enough.  !woohoo!

Can't wait to see a video of it running, should be a beast.

When I do marine engines I port and time for maximum rpm and push the power band into the higher rpm range.
I've done the same crankcase & transfer work on this CY as I do with my marine engines but I haven't gone as aggressive with the port timing.
It should still be a heavy breather but bring the power on around the low to mid rpm range.

This engine will be either a rocket or a grenade ... we'll see how long it lasts  1lma00!

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Screamer Designs
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 12:09:30 PM »
Nice little package arrived in the mail.
Simon ( Olimat) and I worked out a trade and Simon was kind enough to make up a 5T side pipe in pieces so I can finish it.

I'll finish the pipe and header as a slip fit , length agustable set up.

If it all works as planned , I'll send the details back to Simon so he could look at another possible pipe combo to add to his product line .

Sent from my GT-N7105T

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 15351
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
  • Instagram: OzzyMozzyLSD
  • Club: Freestyle Flyers
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 08:58:09 AM »
Damn it i can see the pics, I can usually see pics hosted on Tapatalk.......

It will be interesting to see how you go with this, gives you more tuning options with different setups...

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Screamer Designs
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 11:11:37 AM »
Your not missing much without seeing the pic Steve.

I got the baja re assembled last night and started mocking up a header to give me the room for pipe adjustment.
From what I've figured so far is it's not going to be as simple as I first thought.

Getting the header in the right position to allow room for the pipe to slide back and forth without coming into contact with the roll cage inner bracing and the throttle/brake servo arm is going to be fun to set up......

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 11:31:06 AM »
I guess itís just a whole bunch of pipes and parts......

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Screamer Designs
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 10:31:38 PM »
Just for you Steve - the pic you can't see

Bit done this arvo

Added the slip fit tube to the pipe , chopped up the header and glued it back together again

The end result
Pipe at stock header length

Minimum length adjustment

Max length adjustment

This gives me + or - 25mm adjustment either side of stock length .

The stinger ( pipe outlet ) I'm yet to do

Jay

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Screamer Designs
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 09:24:12 PM »
Couple of changes made .

New header set back further to move the pipe back
The header is also a bit longer which gives me more room for tuning

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Screamer Designs
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 10:41:20 AM »
Looking at a steering upgrade, the obvious choice is to use the FG servo saver.

Here's what I have in mind - something similar to the SymSteer

I'll replace the front brace and battery box with 1 entire unit.

pictured with 2 Killer RC 4200mah lipo's

and a lid to keep the contents clean

Offline Baja Dan

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2913
  • Banned for Life
    • The Worlds Best RC Site, Bar None
  • Location: Jack Lives Here, Jim Lives Here, So, I Live Here.......
  • Club: UHROC
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 11:55:28 AM »
remember you will need to throttle linkage coming out of the box there, unless of course you want to use something like a bicycle brake cable as your throttle linkage, then you could seal the box pretty well from the top.
Sent from the LSD Naughty corner, using a flashlight and morse code

.... - - .--. ---... -..-. -..-. -... .. - .-.-.- .-.. -.-- -..-. .---- --... .-- ..-. -.. ..-. .-.

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 12:16:40 PM »
Can you fit one of those Boots that we use on the boat radio box for the throttle rod?

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Screamer Designs
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 12:31:40 PM »
I had planned on using a marine type throttle likage and one of those boots Steve.
3mm stainless rod through to the brake and it will pick up a marine throttle belcrank mounted vertically to the clutch side front engine brace..... if you can picture that thumbsup

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Screamer Designs
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »
Well things changed today with my Baja - I now have 3 with probably enough spares for a 4th.

Picked this lot up this afternoon

Sent from my GT-N7105T

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Screamer Designs
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 01:07:50 PM »
Bit more done
Battery box under way

Pipe changes made - I decided to split the header in two , to give it a flexable fixing.
This way the whole pipe assembly can move , taking any stress of the cylinder.
It is still length adjustable

Hopefully if the weather is ok , I'll fire it up for a first run on the weekend.

Jay

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Offline Rooster Tail Engines

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 858
    • Rooster Tail Engines
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 01:48:44 PM »
looks good jay.  I see the engine has changed now. !dirtbike!  Didn't like the 2 bolt or something? dontknow

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Screamer Designs
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 02:24:13 PM »
looks good jay.  I see the engine has changed now. !dirtbike!  Didn't like the 2 bolt or something? dontknow

I'll still use the 2 bolt but for "testing" the pipe set up I wanted the bigger capacity.
The RCMK has had some weight removed and a full make over so it should perform well and make some good rpm .
The 2 bolt will probably go into a 5B with a dominator pipe for the remainder of its life span and then I have a G270 sitting on the bench for it thumbsup

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Screamer Designs
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 01:08:58 PM »
Been a little while but heres some more

body in cad drawings

2mm Lexan cnc cut

Assembled

Finished

And here's Big Red and Leftovers at the track - had a blast

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk