Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  My bad experience with GSR Engines  (Read 4835 times)

Offline mardukTopic starter

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Jr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 49
My bad experience with GSR Engines
« on: May 25, 2015, 02:48:30 PM »
Hi Guys
i wanted give you some feed back on my GSR experience I have had.
 I had purchased my first GSR engine back in November last year believing i was getting a great quality product. Unfortunately it became my worst nightmare and the worst decision I have ever made on a engine. With its quality issue, performance & more importantly
the poor customer service at the end I got.  ( not answering my calls, emails and with all the frustration I had to post on this face book page & was blocked there to)

All I can say if you are thinking of buying a GSR product, make sure you ask the all right questions. I should have researched more about other engines builder tuners, and read more reviews. And I would of probably gone with a more reliable product or brand name, with highly effective and proven track records but more importantly ...good customer and after sales service.

Here are some facts:
I purchased the first engine from Gsr and requested the engine to be tuned, ready to bash, and be able to go full throttle without the hassle of having to do the run in procedures.
 "Shane said no problems" it will be tuned as it was his own personal engine (his baby)  he said.... Which had never been run for more than 5 minutes.
on arrival I started the engine, and to my surprise the engine had very high RPM ( it seemed like it had a air leak). Needless to say I was a bit disappointed because we are talking about a brand new engine here and it was supposedly tuned ready to go without the breaking in. I couldn't get it running as it was un able to hold tune and over heating. Unfortunately I had to send back for it to be checked and make sure it was how we discussed & what I paid for.

I contacted Shane and he agreed that it needed sending back. After several weeks I had contacted him or he did ?.....he assured me everything was fine with the engine and sent it back to me . On the second arrival i took it out to have a bit of a run at the park. and  again the tune lasted about 2 minutes. I had  not even touched anything and it just started to loose its tune again. I was getting frustrated so  I then called shane, and he told me to play with the carb needles to tune it slightly , which I followed his instructions and did nothing to its performance It was a dog.

I continued to try to get this engine to work for hour's changing setting low & h end needless . It would only ever last a couple of minutes, and it would get extremely hot , or would repeatedly stall. I was pulling my hair out!!!

So I decided to send it back to GSR, I will try to give them a second chance at it.
I found out that Bajabrad was selling his GSR Holocaust engine....So i purchased it..... Thinking mine was a problem and I really wanted to given GSR a go....

First thing that happened when i started the engine... guess what?   boom high rpm...well he we go again I called GSR and I was told to adjust the low needle to let more fuel in ( so turn it anti clockwise)
the rpm eventually came  down not like what When I first started it that the clutch was engaging by its self  and the wheels would spin because the rpm where so high.

As I was going through the motor  i noticed oil comming from the head gasket....  So I rang Shane and had explained to him what I had found.  His reply was, Its a new engine its normal, What is your problem?

I was uncomfortable with this so I called his college Geoff...   He asked me to try and tighten the head screws, whilst I was tightening them i got around 5-7-9-7 turns out of them, then realised i was actually tightening down the cooling fins...................I couldn't believe it...No wonder it was leaking and and loosing tune. It was actually coming loose because it was getting hot and expanding & retracting.  I couldn't believe he had the head screws sitting on to the 2nd last fin which only had about 2mm thickness to tighten down the cooling head onto the cylinder wow figure that one out. I paid for another dud engine and not  Brads fault but a faulty design with no quality control.

The first engine I sent back whilst it ran for 2 mins it had no bottom, heaps of top end but no bottom, and it was boggy as..... and very difficult to keep a tune.

I totally lost it and was very angry that i had purchased 2 lemons,.
I also in good faith had given others recommendation of this engine thinking it was going to be a great engine.. And now I wish I didn't.
The most important thing was the way I was treated by Shane instead of seeing he had defects & quality issue with his products and a unsatisfactory customer for all troubles i had been put through ( nearly half a year) He blamed me.....

I had tried to stick with them & throw business his way  but in the end... i could not stand it anymore...I had to settle on a great lost and returned both the engine that didn't work to them for less then half the price I paid for them.
And the worst thing he should of returned some bits back to me . I did keep a  alloy casing for the flywheel, and a flywheel, but I had left 2x modified clutch housing that are worth around 65$, which cover easily the price of the alloy casing that i paid with my money as an upgrade it.  But he ended up keeping my lauterbacher clutch.
Any ways I have been bitten once, but never it will happen again.
I do not recommend GSR to anyone, you will o likely have troubles, and go through the same as I did.
Buyers be ware!!!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

that was the second engine i bought off bajabrad made by GSR..... see the screws.  they are bolted on the cooling fins.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And for the first engine.... i had to melt down the gas tank to get carb to fit. As well... i had to cut part of the brace underneath the carb and squash it down so it would allow space for the external pulse line not to get squeezed.
Fit straight in .... not really...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:23:35 PM by marduk »

Offline Screamer Designs

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1022
  • Previous username : kamipalms
    • Screamer Designs
Re: My bad experience with GSR Engines
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 03:39:30 PM »
It's sad to hear stories like this where large sums of money are involved.
I bet both engines had wyk carbs on them ?
The wyk's are more trouble than their worth and do cause a lot of people a lot of trouble - and not just for car engines.
WT /HDA carbs are the simple and trouble free carbs to use.

Do yourself a favor and invest in a 1/4 drive torque wrench.
With your next engine (new , used, modified or whatever) pull it down far enough to acces all nuts and bolts and re torque everything to manufacturer's specs - which can be found in most user manuals.
Some times engine builders loose train of thought and overlook something , which could cost you.

A simple check could save you a lot thumbsup

As for GSR there's plenty of crap on Facebook and I don't need to say any more here.....

Jay

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline maxit

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1827
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 06:53:26 PM »
Now that really sucks... You actually bought two of them. I feel for you mate! *bananadog*

Yeah you tend to learn from your mistakes.bang head

Extreme Speed Team, Worlds Fastest Hpi Baja 189 kph! BZM 50cc

Offline savage600

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1389
  • Sometime's Darkness, will show you the light.
  • Club: 1 Wood
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 07:18:21 PM »
Sorry for your loss mate.

But to some it's like *flog*

Hope you get some joy out of the situation.

Dave.
Hpi Firestorm E Flux
Axial SCX10
Motor work by Mick Mods ( a.k.a. Pagey04)
Heli's also in the mix.

Offline maxit

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 06:04:32 AM »
I don't know if you ever get over it. I hope he has found a better outcome to. 1oops1

Offline todd

• LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 07:16:16 AM »
The wyk's are more trouble than their worth and do cause a lot of people a lot of trouble - and not just for car engines.

Jay

Depends on user. We have customers who can not make small turn adjustments on the carbs. To them it is like 1/8 and 1/4 turn increments to them. The people who run them after getting them figured out see the difference and like them. I run WYk on my boat and I run them in my 1/5 scale cars. I get better performance out of them than a butterfly carb. He was also tried using the Chinese version of those carbs. We tried them and gave up on them. The barrels do hold up better but tuning is no where as good as the genuine Walbro WYK. A genuine you can start at a base setting and get started and run. The chinese ones have no base setting. They all seem to run differently.

Todd

Quickdraw

Offline Screamer Designs

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1022
  • Previous username : kamipalms
    • Screamer Designs
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 05:17:34 PM »
Thanks Todd.
I know you guys have been playing with the WYK's for quite a while.
Your 26HT's came with the first WYK's from what I remember.

For me personally , the WYK's allways need constant adjustments which is fine for cars as you can just drive it back to your feet, bend over with a screw driver , tweek the needle/s and off you go again.
It's a complete pain in the a*** when it comes to boats
Bring it in,  put it back on the stand, tweek the needle/s, start it again and then launch.
Do that 5 or 6 times and it can become pretty frustrating.

I suppose it's a case of what works best for you thumbsup

Oh and by the way ,
your deep vee pipe kits are a complete pain in the a*** to weld up !
I left a 16th of an inch on the body flanges which fused nicely at 10 amps on the tig .
The butt joins took a little more patients and some fill wire to avoid blowing through , even while purging.

With a shade 9 lense and a magnifying lense I could bearly see what the hell I was doing !
Next time I'll pay the money and buy one already done.  &angel*

Jay.

Offline maxit

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 05:54:29 PM »
I don't know if it was all user error...  I think his more upset about the quality & customer service he had received. IMO.

Offline Bignasty

• LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 06:15:43 PM »
We run the bored wyk made to quickdraws specs and it runs flawlessly with no adjustments needed in our Losi 5ives, the issue i had was it would start to run lean and then cut out, the fix was to position the clunk at the lowest rear point of the tank and remove you check valve. I havent touched the needles since. I highly recommend the quickdraw carb and their new hot pipe

Offline mardukTopic starter

• Jr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 11:54:31 AM »
here i thought id bump this thread to make users that read this forum aware of GSR engines
how much problems one can go through
bzm engines, rooster tails engines are the way to go ...
wasnt user experience problem, when the builder cant tune the carb, and gotta send it to someone else ( geoff) to get it tune there a problem  there already
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 11:59:09 AM by marduk »

Offline Mental1ty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 492
  • GOLD FINGER
  • Club: Australia #1 QORLS
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 12:31:10 PM »
Micks Modz motors are awesome too.
Good local support by people who know.
(Aussie Hobbies)

!rccar!
Xi Losi

GOLD FINGER

Offline fallout

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 570
  • justin
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 02:43:18 PM »
I got me a micks modz just recently and i have heard nothing but good things about pageys motors. Im hanging to get it going. And from what ive seen it ahould be a screamer with a super mod 990 from gavin long i just hope i can hold onto it. Lol
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
[/URL]www.facebook.com/groups/411166868914096/

Offline JohnX2

• Jr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 114
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 05:01:32 PM »
Oh yeah love my Micks Modz Engine it goes hard but can still run a 30min final with a 990 carb and easy to tune and start. When it does finally need replacing Pagey will be the first person i will  be talking to.
30 Degrees North(DTT) 5T Powered by Micks Modz

Offline fallout

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 570
  • justin
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 07:43:27 PM »
I sent the case away with it to get it all matched as well. Lol
[/URL]www.facebook.com/groups/411166868914096/

Offline Mental1ty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 492
  • GOLD FINGER
  • Club: Australia #1 QORLS
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 08:26:28 AM »
Yup totally agree
Mine screams along heaps of power.

!rccar!
Xi Losi

GOLD FINGER

Offline Pappa Smurf

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1137
  • have fun with LS or you'll go mad
  • Club: LSCV
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 04:08:33 PM »
I have a GSR howler piston in a standard 26 GOING WELL thumbsup and IMPROVED PERFORMANCE thumbsup
Grumpy old carnt
1 x Rovan 5b and loving it
2 x gas monos
1 HPI 5b
1 MCD
2 Losi 5iveT
1 Losi 5iveB slowly happening
Happy user of Micks Mods motors

5 assorted Aeros
Red Lion Rebel
Bunyip Basher
Leongatha Lout
2013 Nats with Sammy
LSCV No 10

Offline fudd

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Full LSD Member
  • Liked: 197
  • Club: GRCOR
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 10:26:06 PM »
Does anyone know where the fellas from GSR are? They aren't answering emails and they haven't been on Facebook for months.
Peter.

Offline JohnX2

• Jr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 114
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 11:03:55 PM »
Does anyone know where the fellas from GSR are? They aren't answering emails and they haven't been on Facebook for months.
Peter.

Ive been hearing this same comment from a few guys lately
30 Degrees North(DTT) 5T Powered by Micks Modz

Offline doaba

• Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 112
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 04:26:42 PM »
Last I heard they had closed up shop 1lma00!
True story! *rofl*

Offline nz420

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2856
  • Mr Happy
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 04:57:42 PM »
So that would make them thieves as well as liars.wankers
Contempt without prior investigation will guarantee everlasting ignorance

Offline in rod we trust

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2482
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 05:09:23 PM »
pity tho thought we were trying to get more aussie's  involved in the sport ....

Offline Jester Racing

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2989
  • Damian
  • Club: QORLS
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 05:26:43 PM »
Someone on FB has been chasing them for a motor he sent them something like 6 months ago.
Hopefully it is not due to health issues and things get sorted.
The older I get, the bigger the toys........

Offline fudd

• LSD Contributor
  • Full LSD Member
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 05:32:23 PM »
Last I heard they had closed up shop 1lma00!
True story! *rofl*

I hope this aint true, I will keep trying to email them in hope they answer me back.

Offline doaba

• Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 112
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 05:42:49 PM »
If you're after an engine or engine work to be done, I'd look elsewhere.. And that's coming from another dissatisfied customer

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline fudd

• LSD Contributor
  • Full LSD Member
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 05:57:11 PM »
They have a motor of mine that was sent over for a rebuild, its a lot of money to loose but I will still wait and see just incase(as was said earlier) there might be personal or health issues.
Peter.