Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  JAP Racing Baja fun thread  (Read 4238 times)

Offline Parky19Topic starter

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2893
  • JAP Racing 'Driven by quality and teamwork'
    • Andrew
    • Geelong R.C. Offroaders Inc.
  • Instagram: DrewParky
  • Location: Geelong Motorsport Complex, Red Lion, Avalon Raceway, Victoria Australia
  • Club: Geelong R.C. Off Roaders Inc. / Red Lion Rebels / Victorian Quarterscale Speedway
JAP Racing Baja fun thread
« on: March 18, 2015, 10:11:41 PM »
Well the guys from SALS dropped off Hughseys Baja we picked up on LSD over the weekend.  

We brought it home and the question was 'where is my car?'

So we set about having my lovely wife do some training in the court with a 1/10 RC over the past three nights.

I got keen to take a look at the Baja tonight and set about trying to figure out how to get access to the bits under the cage..

We found this during the process, so if anyone can shed light on whether this is supposed to be part of the buggy can you let us know dontknow

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

We also found the intake and exhaust were loose az so I'm hoping the 23cc fuelie isn't dusted.  

The better half was enthusiastic and set about actually listening to me !woohoo! which is a milestone in our 22 year relationship.. and proceeded to dismantle / remove the carb, intake, ex, flywheel and electronics.  We will give it a cleanup, install a super bee and some fresh gaskets and do another post before we do a shock rebuild and add a couple of braces.  Enjoy some pics;

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:19:47 PM by AndrewJames »

Geelong R.C. Offroaders Inc. President

Offline corty351w

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1955
  • Shane
  • Club: GRCOR
Re: JAP Racing Baja fun thread
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:20:06 PM »
That part goes over the plastic rear engine brace thumbsup

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
GRCOR Member #0001

Offline Outlaw78

• Trade Count: (0)
  • LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 66
  • Another patient Baja mechanic
  • Club: QORLS
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 11:55:04 PM »
Beat me to it! 😄 yep, that bit slides over the rear mount/engine brace attached to the pull start  case.

Offline JOHNSEE

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 8764
  • Club: S.A.L.S
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 10:40:17 AM »
Nice work mate thumbsup

Have you checked out the engine yet Andrew dontknow

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Andrew
  • Location: Geelong Motorsport Complex, Red Lion, Avalon Raceway, Victoria Australia
  • Club: Geelong R.C. Off Roaders Inc. / Red Lion Rebels / Victorian Quarterscale Speedway
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 04:15:28 PM »
Johnseeone,

Carby had grit / bark under the bulb bottom diaphragm, gonna put manifold and header back on and fire it up tonight hopefully.. The missus is putting mesh on the fan intake fins today..  see what time I get home - might be too late to make noise otherwise it might wait until the weekend..

I wont take the cylinder off until I've given it a run - I won't speculate here about whether I can see any minor scoring of the cylinder because it would be an unfair judgment _ and I'd never do that..

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Andrew
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 08:36:35 PM »
Thanks to the *gc* Sword26 for some more Baja bits and pieces to help out.

We fired up the Baja up tonight and she has been running a bit rich which is a good thing. The dom pipe sounds schweet.  It may need a ring soon coz the compression appears a bit low.

Offline mc5

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2176
  • "Donk"
  • Club: GRCOR
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 08:44:25 PM »
That's not  a rear Dom pipe.
Maybe Adam can chime in.
His burnt the shit out of my finger last meet!
Also thAt pipe is very exposed  a rear end and head is screwed thumbsup

MC5 Uses, abusers and endorses.
"Drewpz droop bump stop screwz"

"Guru's pullstarter thumb screws"

Offline Fifty8

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1363
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 08:51:27 PM »
That's a DDM  Fast pipe, they are very loud lol.
Check out the RPM rear bumper and skid plate,
they stick out the rear a little bit more than the stock setup thumbsup

Not sure if the skid plate will fit that pipe though dontknow
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 08:54:21 PM by Fifty8 »

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Andrew
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 10:32:43 PM »
Yeah, the for sale mentioned ddm pipe. There is a sticker on it that says dominator dontknow. Sounds grouse though.

Offline eta6ltr

• LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 10:51:32 AM »
Andrew, the pie on there is this  HPI Baja 5B/5T - DDM Dominator "Fast" Pipe DDM-FD147
Bought from Mild to Wild RC

New from DDM! Developed through months of extensive in-house testing and prototyping, and custom-designed for maximum RC performance, these new Dominator® "FAST" pipes for your HPI Baja 5b gas buggy will give you the power you crave.

The inspiration for this pipe came from FAST, who suggested we develop a pipe with a tip similar to a Pagani Zonda. The final result turned out perfect, and is an incredibly unique exhaust addition to any Baja!

This compact pipe gives great performance throughout the powerband. The DDM Dominator® "FAST" pipe features top-quality steel alloy construction, flexible header coupling, ultra-sturdy adjustable mounting system, and jaw-dropping high polish show chrome finish. Includes FREE custom X-port finned exhaust spacer for improved exhaust header cooling and to help keep the pipe clear of any frame parts!  Weight is approx 1.3 pounds. Pipe is covered by lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects from DDM. Fits Zenoah and Chung Yang engines. Fits the stock 23cc "Fuelie" engine on the HPI Baja 5b, and the stock 26cc engine on the Baja 5b SS. Also fits the 5T Truck. Also fits all aftermarket and modified engines.
SALS Member 84
S.A.L.S. Committee Member

MCD V4x3
Futaba 4PX
Motor work by Mick Mods

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Andrew
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 07:46:13 PM »
Pissa
James said the pipe looks like a zonda pipe..
We rebuilt the rear shocks. One of the shafts were bent but luckily Gilligan gave me one yesterday so all good. We fitted up a stock filter so we have a spare foam handy coz it gets real dusty down here. 
We put a killer bee on and a trusty TRV2 pull start and i had a purple outerwears for it. 
I found a purple aerial post somewhere on my travels. Its amazing what hoarding does 😶.

A bit of tlc in the battery compartment and a cage refit and that will do for now.  Waiting for a bit till i put the cups n stuff Hughsey supplied on it.

Coming up a good jigga. My missus said that she can't stop thinking about doing stuff. I recon she's hooked i'dhitit

Offline Pappa Smurf

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1161
  • have fun with LS or you'll go mad
  • Club: LSCV
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 04:26:58 PM »
Does that mean you miss out Parky 1lma00!
Grumpy old carnt
1 x Rovan 5b and loving it
2 x gas monos
1 HPI 5b
1 MCD
2 Losi 5iveT
Happy user of Micks Mods motors

5 assorted Aeros
Red Lion Rebel
Bunyip Basher
Leongatha Lout
2013 Nats with Sammy
LSCV No 10

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Andrew
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 08:01:18 PM »
Anne took it for a hoon tonight. All went well. James replaced a front steering rod and rebuilt the front shocks aswell and fine tuned the setup.  I had a fang and it goes good for a 23 with the stock gearing.  Thanks Hughsey. thumbsup

Offline eta6ltr

• LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 09:56:06 PM »
No worries Andrew
SALS Member 84
S.A.L.S. Committee Member

MCD V4x3
Futaba 4PX
Motor work by Mick Mods

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Andrew
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 06:48:26 PM »
Thanks heaps to Brad for the braces, shocks and stuff *gc*.
Started fitting up already to get my mind off work for a bit;

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Andrew
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 12:01:22 PM »
Cleaned up the rear shock brace and fitted it up. Came up good.

Working in the Nutech shocks, cooked a rubber debonding the red loctite Ozzy put on the cap threads. Literally soaked in the stuff.. also missing a limiting spacer on one of the fronts. (Must have rolled off the bench eh Steve when you did the rebuild lol.. ). One of the caps has a crack where its been pulled without a droop limiter.. anyways, Bryan at PSR recons he has some spares so we'll get it sorted soon..

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:05:04 PM by AndrewJames »

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Andrew
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 08:08:20 PM »
*bananadog*

HPI

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Andrew
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 08:10:40 PM »
Thanks Ozzy, Bryan, Scotty, Macca, James, Anne-Marie, Gilligan, Hughsey, Mat, Johnsee - nearly there
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:18:04 PM by AndrewJames »

Offline Fifty8

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1363
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 08:22:17 PM »
What oil did you use in the Nutech rear shocks?
I was running the same rear shocks at Geelong with stock HPI 1000wt diff oil in them.
They handled really well as you seen. thumbsup
I found that the shock piston to bore clearance was a bit too much for my liking so diff oil it was lol
These shocks do need loctite to stop them falling apart

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Andrew
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 09:24:12 PM »

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Andrew
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 09:42:07 PM »
What oil did you use in the Nutech rear shocks?
I was running the same rear shocks at Geelong with stock HPI 1000wt diff oil in them.
They handled really well as you seen. thumbsup
I found that the shock piston to bore clearance was a bit too much for my liking so diff oil it was lol
These shocks do need loctite to stop them falling apart

I had a couple bottles of Associated 45wt approx 600 cst - may be a bit low viscosity.

A previous owner god bless his soul used about a bottle of red loctite on em *evil*. I saw the old school threads on these shocks you guys talked about on another forum. I went with blue loctite on clean threads so we will see how they go.  Ive got a couple of spare bores and a cap now if i have to swap one of the rears over whose thread was a bit tired after the dismantling and heat application..
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:44:10 PM by AndrewJames »

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Andrew
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 09:00:57 AM »
James and I took this beast out for a bit of rough and tumble out bush the other weekend.  Only thing went bung was the front shock mount which we found didn't have bolts installed from the back. The Baja hooks along but the stock clutch bogs it down a bit anyway no fear of tearing the gearbox to shreds..
The battery got weak quick which actuated the kill switch and we also found we had a stock steering servo that was on its way out.
James and his Uncle got onto it and fixed everything installed a Losi servo we had, some bolts in the front end, a servo horn and we convinced Simon to come racing with us.
We told him to go slow, get around the track and he would be likely to get on the podium if he finished.  Well he turned out to be an old hand.  After a small disappointment in qualifying in heavy mud, where one of the rear shock rod ends came loose (i mustn't have tightened up the nutech grub screw) and the battery going flat (*gc* Haagy loaned us a little life6.6v pack) Simon ended up on the podium. 
With a bit of effort its great to see the reliability you can get from a Baja. Next trick will be to get the missus down to the track for her turn.

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Andrew
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 07:54:58 PM »

I think most of us spent all day cleaning our buggies after last weekends meeting.