Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  I've lost my mind.... I bought a genesis.  (Read 2334 times)

Offline incubusTopic starter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Jr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 66
I've lost my mind.... I bought a genesis.
« on: March 04, 2015, 10:54:43 PM »
I've sold up all my large scale car stuff, sold the big jet boat, a heap of 1/8 nitro buggy stuff and as a result i had pockets full of money. I went mad one night on ebay and the hobbyking website and as a result i now an artr genesis on the way and a sicrc jetboat kit. the jet boat is a whole other story....

Since that stormy night in tropical darwin i've penned out a full rebuild on the hull as soon as the boat arrives using a bucket load of rc boat bitz parts. In the past with electric boats i've always taken the lazy approach and bought rtr so all i had to do was charge the packs and run it until i got bored with it but this will be the first time i've stuffed around with a boat in a long time so what do i do ?
What is the best way of removing the shaft tube from the hull so i can us it as a guide for bending the new one for the 3 1/6 shaft? I'd prefer not to lose any blood or cause too much damage to the hull. Also do you recommend using a 2 part liquid epoxy or something like knead it to secure the new tube?

Eventually when all the bit i want are here i'll use this thread for the build up of this boat, it's sister and big carbon brother. (yes i'm placing an order for 2 carbon hulls from RCBB soon)

Offline Screamer Designs

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1022
  • Previous username : kamipalms
    • Screamer Designs
Re: I've lost my mind.... I bought a genesis.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 02:40:32 PM »
You'll probably end up destroying the stuffing tube trying to remove it .
I would cut the stuffing tube as short as you can both inside and outside of the hull then, drill out the stuffing tube .
You'll most likely find the the drill bit will bite inside the stuffing tube and spin it free.
This is the neatest way to remove the stuffing tube with very little damage to the hull.

From there you can clean up the left over glass work inside the hull.

Tape over the hole outside then use a dremel to slowly open up the hole for the new stuffing tube. Don't do this with a drill bit as it will bite and tear the fiberglass and make a mess of the hull.

As for aligning the new stuffing tube , chop a 3/16 drill bit in half and lock that into the collet .
Grab some brass tube which is 3/16 id with an od which is the same as the id of your stuffing tube - I would guess at 1/4 inch. Slide that over the 3/16 drill bit and there you have your diy alignment tool.

Bending up the new stuffing tube can be easily done by hand. Don't use anything else (like the corner of your work bench ) otherwise you will crease it.
Using your diy alignment tool , slowly bend the new stuffing tube to fit over it and into the strut at the other end.
Bend with large curve leaving a short straight at either end. This can also be bent into an S shape if a large curve leaves the stuffing tube hanging down too far below the hull.

Once bent to shape, sand the area of the stuffing tube that is to be glassed back in . Use your alignment tool and strut to hold the stuffing tube in its correct possition.
Masking tape the hull around the stuffing tube on the outside to close in any gaps ( seal it up ) and pour a small amount of epoxy or resin around the stuffing tube on the inside. Once this has gone off then you can go ahead with using epoxy or resin with some fiberglass / fiberglass tape to lock it all in.
Once its all cured , remove your masking tape and you will have a nice clean finish on the outside too.
thumbsup
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bajabrad

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2419
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 02:50:17 PM »
eek2 f*** me! You could ask for a better response than that!! Nice work kamipalms thumbsup

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 07:38:19 PM »
Thanks for the info kamipalms. The hobby king hull is the test mule while i'm slowly stash cash away for the carbon hulls. I dunno how or why but the minister for war and finance seems to end up with 50% of everything i make from selling my rc shit off.... maybe she should start paying for 50% of the invoices (yeah i know, i'm dreaming)*rofl*
Where do you recommend buying CF cloth and resin from in australia ? for a bit of wank factor and strength i'm thinking of following the rest of the herd and hitting the inside of the hull with it. I've worked with fiber glass a heap doing car audio installs but never graduated to carbon as at the time people were crying over the cost of the glass work we were doing. long story short, carbon can't be too different to work with other then the amount of resin used to do the job.

this is what as of sometime today is in the mail for the boat  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 09:59:29 PM »
my 3 1/6 driveline up grade arrived yesterday. Sadly the boat is in perth making it's way back to the courier depot in adelaide so they can send it up to darwin.(why can't they just have the perth depot send it to me??)
i think from now on when i buy stuff from down south i'll jump on a plane and fly it back with me.

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 11:56:39 PM »
got the hull, got the drive line upgrade bits, still waiting on the rest of the hardware and the carbon cloth and resin i have ordered then the fun begins.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 10:02:51 PM by incubus »

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 10:07:33 PM »
stripped out the stock 4mm drive line hardware today and it turns out that TFL use some really crap epoxy. for anyone else that buys one and upgrades it with a one piece 3 1/6 drive line kit it just a matter of removing the the stock strut, grabbing the stuffing tube and wiggling it gently as you pull it towards the rear of the boat.

if only my carbon cloth and resin kit would hurry up and get here so i can get to work on the inside of the hull.

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 11:24:18 PM »
got some more goodies in the mail from joe at RCBB today. seems i may have under estimated the sized of the 200 amp esc.... good thing the bigger boat is on the way 1oops1

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 15266
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
  • Instagram: OzzyMozzyLSD
  • Club: Freestyle Flyers
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 08:18:36 AM »
So whats the bigger boat????
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 03:19:41 PM »
a bigger genesis headbang

turns out that the 200amp esc is not going to be big enough to run the motors in the 1400 genesis so it's going on ebay when i can be stuffed logging in.

since i'm in a good mood today here's some boat p*&^
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:32:27 PM by incubus »

Offline Tom1986

• LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 01:41:23 AM »
Sweet

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 08:51:50 PM »
quick update : i've lost all motivation and interest in the little genesis and the big one is still in primer as i have somewhat lost interest in that also due to a creative block in terms of what colour i want it, what airbrushing / hydro dipping i want on it.

Offline 68Cam

• LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 07:49:39 AM »
Ive just got the smaller Genesis too mate its wicked

Offline 68Cam

• LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 07:51:11 AM »
Are you selling any of the Genesis at all