Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  Peter RCMAX Rebuild.  (Read 6751 times)

Offline doaba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 112
Re: Peter RCMAX Rebuild.
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2015, 10:00:23 PM »
Greg, with this engine sounding louder than a normal rcmax motor, I do have to pick my places carefully..this olimat pipe gives some extra grunt for sure, but because it has no silencer, it's also f*&*^*% loud..clutch is just the standard rcmax (stihl) one which is running fine. I've done my research with gearing and what works with this clutch and I'm pretty happy with running the abnormal 24/48 setup..my rationale behind this is, whilst the 24t pinion gives it plenty of wheel spin down low without bogging the motor down too much, the 48 spur gives it some serious top end. It isn't the best as far as gear mesh goes, but blackbone gears are as tuff as snot and have run many tanks with this setup without any problem  headbang

Offline atmmak5

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2547
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2015, 10:13:46 PM »
Good to hear you found a nice set up that's working well . Especially with the clutch cause wrenching on clutches gets tiring after a while.
Would of thought the 24 pin set up was a bit small but going of the vid its stretching its legs nicely with added bonus on helping clutch life.
48 spur is interesting  thumbsup
Got it set up nice now and the thing I really like is the way it's a stable rig with not a lot of flipping over thumbsup
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline maxitTopic starter

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1827
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2015, 10:26:41 PM »
Pete

I have one better for you I just received my 25/49 and a 47 t should make things a bit more interesting with gear options.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Extreme Speed Team, Worlds Fastest Hpi Baja 189 kph! BZM 50cc

Offline doaba

• Sr. LSD Member
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2015, 06:37:06 AM »
Greg, swapping out clutch springs on these motors is a major pain in the ass as you know. I do know that if I step upto a 26t pinion, my clutch spring won't last more than 2 tanks, with 24t, I get close to 20..I honestly can't remember when I last swapped out my shoes and my spring ..so it's all good.
I've made a home made wheelie bar which is working great and have it setup just to give me enough lift without flipping over and gets me riding on 2 wheels nicely across the field !dirtbike!
Rino, I think 25/47 would worth trying for sure!

Offline doaba

• Sr. LSD Member
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2015, 10:36:11 AM »
guys just a quick update, have been speaking to shane from GSR engines for a lil while about what we could do to the 71 to give it a bit more grunt (cant leave well enough alone!).
hes always told me that the carb that comes on these motors (walbro wj71) is too small. it has a 18mm venturi and is designed for 2 stroke model aeroplanes (which dont rev past 7000 rpm)..always wanting to push the envelope a bit i took him up on his offer. he supplied me with what seems to be a godzilla size carb that makes the stock carb look like a little baby..
anyway i had to hesitations with this thing, a) it had no choke, so starting this thing might be an issue and b) it has something like a 25mm vs 18mm venturi, so getting it tuned my be a bit of a challenge, seeng my tuning abilities arent the best

Installed her over the weekend  with bits and pieces supplied by rino fadda aka Uncle Fester Creations (thanks mate!!!).
so it started easier than the stock carb, and after about 5 mins of running it on an open field, was piss easy to tune.
anyway once tuned, what surprised me first and foremost was that it was like a completely DIFFERENT motor, she grew some seriously oversized godzilla testicles! sounded madder than a cut snake (sounded more like an angry bush bike) !dirtbike!

the more i drove and leaned her out, the more grunt it gave..no matter where i was in the rpm range, low, mid, high she would just throw up the front wheels and wheelie across the park, this was on half throttle only!..is probably the limit of power in a baja, but would be perfect for losi, where you can get the power down fully (hopefully)
will take some go pro footage in the coming days when i have some time. for those of you guys who have a 70/71..if you only make just 1 modification to youre motor, this needs to be it.
thanks again shane! thumbsup

check out the size of this thing!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:38:34 AM by doaba »

Offline sal355

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 274
  • George
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2015, 10:53:45 AM »
Fark me , that thing is huge . Looking forward to seeing some footage driven1

Offline doaba

• Sr. LSD Member
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2015, 10:58:05 AM »
i ran my fingers across the stack and gave it some throttle , and it actually wanted to suck my fingers off *bananadog*
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 11:06:03 AM by doaba »

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2015, 11:43:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i ran my fingers across the stack and gave it some throttle , and it actually wanted to suck my fingers off *bananadog*
Is that all your using it for?*rofl*

Offline elma fudd

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2038
    • Dave
  • Club: QORLS
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2015, 02:09:07 PM »
It's not his fingers getting sucked off Rino.
You know wat they say about people with small hands
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:12:55 PM by elma fudd »
" IF YOUR NOT ELCON YOUR NOT WELCON "

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2015, 02:50:01 PM »
I!m thinking the same..and I bet he likes it.*rofl*

Offline Chargedtaco

• LSD New
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2015, 04:11:04 PM »
Did the manifold come with the carb?

Offline doaba

• Sr. LSD Member
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2015, 04:13:55 PM »
Yes it did, everything needed to bolt on

Offline Chargedtaco

• LSD New
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2015, 04:19:18 PM »
Alright, I'm willing to try it. Where do I buy it?  Does GSR have a website?
Thanks for your help.

Offline doaba

• Sr. LSD Member
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2015, 04:22:22 PM »
Yes You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Chargedtaco

• LSD New
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2015, 04:41:49 PM »
doaba...trying to send you PM.  Inbox full.

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2015, 05:39:37 PM »
Just for your info that carburettor is longer and you have to change the filter you have currently or change the pipe as Peter old Rcmax pipe will or may not allow that carburettor to fit.  Peter check the Rcmax pipe as the Olimat pipe is longer.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 05:43:05 PM by maxit »

Offline GSR ENGINES

• LSD Contributor
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 266
  • OWN 1 OR FOLLOW 1!!!!!
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2015, 10:52:15 PM »

Pretty sure it will fit mate.

Offline GSR ENGINES

• LSD Contributor
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • OWN 1 OR FOLLOW 1!!!!!
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2015, 10:54:27 PM »

Offline GSR ENGINES

• LSD Contributor
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • OWN 1 OR FOLLOW 1!!!!!
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2015, 11:07:18 PM »

Offline GSR ENGINES

• LSD Contributor
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • OWN 1 OR FOLLOW 1!!!!!
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2015, 11:08:09 PM »

Offline GSR ENGINES

• LSD Contributor
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • OWN 1 OR FOLLOW 1!!!!!
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2015, 11:08:43 PM »
Oops sorry wrong pics.

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2015, 05:51:34 AM »
As I said you needed to change the original filter to a smaller one.  Nice pic...

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2015, 05:56:26 AM »
This is someone else's  idea with the same carburettor Peter has. I like the heat resistant material his using for the intake manifold. Great idea....
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline doaba

• Sr. LSD Member
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2015, 06:10:03 PM »
guys ,

i ran this new bigger GSR carb which has a 25.4mm venturi compared to the stock 18mm venturi which makes this new carburettor 40% bigger..performance is ALOT better, i can definately feel it through throughout the throttle range..this park is big and the engine now will definately take bigger gears..was running 24/48 in this video
run was cut short just as i was getting my tune right, the bloddy pinion bolt came off *flog*
definately feels like a bigger capacity motor and very scary when she gets on the powerband as you feel the front end lifting off ..enjoy! headbang

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 06:31:23 PM by doaba »

Offline BiKESEAT

• LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2015, 09:27:16 PM »
Interesting, my rc max pipe header is a perfect match for the cylinder port.