Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  On Road Shorty  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Ddrummer16Topic starter

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1070
  • Jesse
On Road Shorty
« on: August 16, 2014, 10:06:23 PM »
So I've decided to build myself a on road baja. Just for bashing duties really. 

I have been collecting parts here, there and everywhere for a little while now, so its almost at a stage of being a full roller. Its just mocked up at the moment just to see what it will look like, have plans to get some carbon fiber bits for it and maybe get some colour into it to match up with the body I have for it. 

Not sure on what shocks to use to get it to this sort of ride height but I'm sure so of you *gc* 's here could point me into the right direction. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Need to lay off the Jandal

Offline Grim Reaper

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 3557
  • Mick
  • Club: Red Lion Rebels
Re: On Road Shorty
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 10:38:32 PM »
Wow Jesse this should be sick mate, looking forward to seeing it progress thumbsup
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline klh mx10

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 7181
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 11:35:40 PM »
That's gonna look fat as!

Just use fuel tube under the pistons to shorten the shocks Jesse, simple cheap and effective. was going to do it on my onroad Baja build that i ended up scrapping, have done it to the Blitz shocks while i'm using it for speed runs.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

KLH concepts custom painting - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Jesse
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 11:54:55 PM »
You got any pics of that Kane?

Offline klh mx10

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 12:57:31 AM »
Sure do mate - just have to measure up your eye to eye length you need and then cut the fuel tube the appropriate length to achieve it.

KLH concepts custom painting - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline maxit

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1827
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 02:19:27 AM »
If you have some time you could do this with fg on road shocks.
I install the Mecatech shocks but I then went with fg fronts and redo  the shock tower at the front. The rear is a hpi Baja carbon fibre shock tower. They keep the car rear & front end level.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 02:46:35 AM by maxit »

Extreme Speed Team, Worlds Fastest Hpi Baja 189 kph! BZM 50cc

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Jesse
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 05:13:12 PM »
Now I like that idea Rino, Where did you get the shocks from if you don't mind me asking?

Offline klh mx10

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 05:17:04 PM »
Brace yourself for the price of the mecatech shocks Jesse, you'll have a skidmark in your jocks afterwards...!  *rofl* You could get some FG regular onroad shocks alot cheaper.

Trust me just use the fuel tube to shorten regular shocks, common trick, but Rino's custom shock tower/mounts are a top idea, good how they keep the arms level instead of kicked right up! thumbsup

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Jesse
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 05:22:09 PM »
Anything mecatech will leave a skidmark in ya undies one way or another, was referring to the fg shocks.

Might just order some parts and build a set using the fuel tube trick thumbsup  1beer! for the pics for the pics Kane

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Jesse
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 10:58:23 PM »
Well after winning the raffle at the nats (OBR motor) I've decided to get this thing rolling again. 

Have rebuilt the diff using 30,000 and and Craftworks titanium layshaft. Using some red IRC chassis braces and have used extended arms to give it an even wider stance. Using hostil 0 degree rear hubs at the moment but might change them 

Still lots to do but I will get it finished one day thumbsup

Offline atmmak5

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2547
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 11:14:30 PM »
looking sweeet Jesse  thumbsup
Mate whack your rear top arms in and dogbones and check that those Integy extended arms aren't to short. the dogbones will be tight when you squat the car due to the arms being 6+mm shorter than a set of FLM  ^screwy*
Hoping it was just the dodgy set that I had and all is fine your end.
Keen to see more of this one  headbang

Offline maxit

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1827
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 12:05:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Now I like that idea Rino, Where did you get the shocks from if you don't mind me asking?
Sorry bud didn't reply earlier, you probably wouldn't need the megatech they are a bit pricy. I only have them in the rear & have fg standards in the front which I got anodised. I picked up a set from.

Chequered flag racing here in Aus.

Hope that helps.

Extreme Speed Team, Worlds Fastest Hpi Baja 189 kph! BZM 50cc

Offline Grim Reaper

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 3557
  • Mick
  • Club: Red Lion Rebels
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 12:25:55 AM »
Hey Jesse I love the anno red against the black mate, looks wicked............keen to see it's progress also headbang

Offline jocool

• LSD New
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 09:29:15 PM »
Why not just buy the on road shocks that are on the road version of the baja. They are considerably shorter, dont need modding and are available easily.

Offline Tom1986

• LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 01:35:24 AM »
Awesome job

Offline xboxice

• Jr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 23
    • Albert Ellis
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 09:19:34 AM »
I wanna see more :)

Offline Crazy_stu

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1622
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 07:51:50 PM »
I believe this build was sold a while back

After a Carb, stock or bearing modified or need a carb repaired send me a PM 

Stock 668  $50
Stock 990  $58

Modified 668  $75
Modified 990  $83

10% discount applies for any carb purchased on the 13th of every month.

Full details in the vendors market.

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Jesse
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 10:16:14 PM »
Stu is right, long gone now, I think its been parted out too