Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  A new build just because we didn't screw up the first one enough!  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Jankroau2Topic starter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Full LSD Member
  • Liked: 94
Re: A new build just because we didn't screw up the first one enough!
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2014, 10:11:17 PM »
Update - Sorry been a bit s tied up with the family.

Ok I have adjusted the throttle linkage, it requires a bend of around 15 to 18 degrees - too tired to read the protractor closely! And it fits pretty well and work without too much drama.

I have also managed to get the new girl up an running just to see how the steering holds up until I get a chance to grab the neoplate from BajaBrad. The OBR engine sounds fantastic hooked up to the power pipe and the savox 1268 servo seems to fine handling the steering with rears on the front.

She scared the sh!t out of me when I fired her up as she took off as soon as the engine hooked up - not sure why - clutch is a stock 6000 rpm zenoah and it is not sticking anymore - once I installed it the right way round! 1oops1

Turn in seems a little slower than with fronts at the front but she is definitely more stable on take off and under brakes.

She didn't get to run for very long as we have been tied up with school meetings all day - but i noticed the fuel flow was a little sluggish so I can wait to grab the high flow fuel kit from Pete (DPS) which I ordered last week.

Am still waiting for someone in Brisbane to get the short stack filters in so I can install it. I have on of the Losi stock foam filters but that means I need to take the velocity stack off and then put it back on when I finally get the one I want so I figure I leave the full size filter on as she is not going on a big drive until I finish the TR clutch system and neo plate install. I think I'll leave the rears on the front for a little longer and compare how she goes in handling against the stocky 26cc ss.

I'll grab a video when I fire her up next - probably next weekend as I want to try and get out and take a squiz at the State titles tomorrow. Sounds like all of those participating are having a blast! thumbsup

Offline monsterbug

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 3022
    • Danny
  • Location: right behind you mutha fuka, failing that New Zealand
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2014, 01:42:58 AM »
Doesn't sound like you have got the clutch sorted alain, if it's engaging at idle its not right. Unless uour idling at 6000rpm, which is doubtful.
Is it engaging when you pull on the starter ?

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2014, 08:46:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Doesn't sound like you have got the clutch sorted alain, if it's engaging at idle its not right. Unless uour idling at 6000rpm, which is doubtful.
Is it engaging when you pull on the starter ?

No - the clutch only engages when she fires up now - it is the correct way around and it is returning  - she's a feisty little girl - it's like the throttle is on about 10% power. Mind you, I should check the transmitter again as my youngest seems to have a knack for setting the throttle settings! dontknow.

Anyway - she should be complete tomorrow - Thanks to Kane - some parts arrived today - have installed the TR clutch set up. Have ordered a hostile 56 tooth spur gear to suit the 18 tooth TR pinion and purchased a senad filter for engine as I was sick of trying to find a short stack foam filter at the lhs.

Have also ordered a vertigo triple carbon brake pad set up as the stock brakes don't seem to pull very hard at the moment.

I'll video her going over the weekend and I need to drop by Baja Brad's to pick up the ss chassis which I have now decided I'll use for the third beastie - one for each of the boys! thumbsup. Although trying to find 108mm pins at the moment is proving to be somewhat more difficult than I imagined!

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2014, 08:56:47 PM »
Ok - I dropped by Pete at DPS who is a top bloke to pick up some parts - he had a look at the car, changed the plug and retuned it and she fired up beautifully. Unfortunately, it looked like the throttle lever is sticky because when I got her home she spat the dummy again.

So I made the call to take off the 813 and stick a spare 668 carb that I had on her. I'll try firing her up again in the morning and see how we go. On a positive note, the stock SS is working brilliantly - just need to add the wing that I picked up from Pete!

Cheers Pete thanks for spending so much time on her today! thumbsup

Offline monsterbug

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Danny
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2014, 04:41:58 AM »
Ok - I dropped by Pete at DPS who is a top bloke to pick up some parts - he had a look at the car, changed the plug and retuned it and she fired up beautifully. Unfortunately, it looked like the throttle lever is sticky because when I got her home she spat the dummy again.

So I made the call to take off the 813 and stick a spare 668 carb that I had on her. I'll try firing her up again in the morning and see how we go. On a positive note, the stock SS is working brilliantly - just need to add the wing that I picked up from Pete!

Cheers Pete thanks for spending so much time on her today! thumbsup
When did you put on an 813 ? I sold it to you with a 990 ?

Offline Aussie Hobbies

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1204
    • Pete
    • Aussie Hobbies
  • Club: QORLS
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2014, 07:54:25 AM »
you should have left it alone it was tuned and working fine , don't fix whats not f(*&^% lol
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline monsterbug

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Danny
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2014, 12:21:17 PM »
you should have left it alone it was tuned and working fine , don't fix whats not f(*&^% lol
plusone! penis fingers 1lma00!

Offline monsterbug

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Danny
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2014, 02:29:31 PM »
What happened to the 990 that was on it alain dontknow

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2014, 02:45:24 AM »
What happened to the 990 that was on it alain dontknow

If you had a 990 on it then that's what was on it - sorry Pete and I both thought it was a 813. I'm blaming Pete because I have proved time and time again - I have no idea what I'm doing! *rofl*

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2014, 02:52:41 AM »
Pete - the damn thing wouldn't fire up again. She fires up fine with the 668 - I must need a choke because she doesn't respond well to me - fussy old cow - I just need to follow MB's instructions on tuning for the new carb - I figure I was just a gumby with the other carb! If its any consolation - the old carb settings haven't been changed so technically its still in tune! lol!

Unfortunately - no photos as both kids have been sick and got worse over the weekend. I am going to take Wed off so hopefully I can grab some videos of the eldest driving if he is well enough.

Offline monsterbug

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Danny
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2014, 04:36:52 AM »
The 668 won't flow enough to give you the best results thumbsup get a barrel carb from gsr headbang

Offline nitrocat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full LSD Member
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2014, 07:32:44 AM »
If it's hard to start the low speed is set two lean try 1 1/4 out it also has to do with altitude when you get it running set it so it idles slow and not dying slow
Using Tapatalk

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2014, 01:44:57 PM »
If it's hard to start the low speed is set two lean try 1 1/4 out it also has to do with altitude when you get it running set it so it idles slow and not dying slow

I'm not as tall as Monsterbug - may be that explains the difference in success! *rofl*

Will try to tune the car on Wednesday - major work presentation tomorrow and see how we go. I pulled the tank and the carb off as I had a spare tank with the 668. She is too lean at the moment so will have a play. Can always go back to the 990 - just need to practice I suppose - all you experienced f&*kers take all this for granted - !fuckyou7 *rofl*

Appreciate you all sharing your experience and amusing you with my failures - keep up the input, much appreciated! Hopefully I won't remain a special needs RC person for too much longer! 1oops1

Offline monsterbug

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Danny
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »
The day you stop making mistakes is the day you stop learning thumbsup 

"Special needs rc person" I thought that was richo 1lma00!

Offline Aussie Hobbies

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1204
    • Pete
    • Aussie Hobbies
  • Club: QORLS
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2014, 05:57:37 PM »
you know where i live just bring it down and i will tune it for you AGAIN  the last thing you want to do is f*** up a good motor
pete
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2014, 06:25:11 PM »
you know where i live just bring it down and i will tune it for you AGAIN  the last thing you want to do is f*** up a good motor
pete

And another carb and another spark plug, chassis, suspension.......

thumbsup - Pete - best for customer service *gc* - you'll be pleased to note that I managed to install the high flow fuel lines without screwing anything up! 1beer!

On a positive note...

At least I can pick up the parts that I forgot in my excitement last time! Just remind me to take them with me! 1oops1

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2014, 06:30:07 PM »
The day you stop making mistakes is the day you stop learning thumbsup

"Special needs rc person" I thought that was richo 1lma00!

Could do with a little less 'learning' and a bit more practical experience driving the b!tch! *rofl*

But she is firey little number - scared the sh!t out of me when the exhaust hit me in the face - a hell of a lot more oomph the the old 26cc.

We are going to take the cars for a run on the ovals over the weekend since my son can now open the stock engine after its run in period. Will grab some video of the cars working (or staying stationary if I can't start her!) and hopefully not too much of me pulling on the starter like a trainee indian snake charmer! *rofl*

Offline monsterbug

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Danny
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2014, 06:48:16 AM »
Don't forget your flute and basket *rofl*

Offline klh mx10

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 7181
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2014, 09:28:11 AM »
A 668 is a much more forgiving carb for a newbie but yeah max performance from the 990, from cold richening the L needle 1/4 turn is a trick Damo taught me to starting with a 990, as i struggled initially when i swapped over too! Obviously once it fires up screw it back in the 1/4 turn. After the motors warm if tuned right should start pretty easily.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

KLH concepts custom painting - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2014, 05:47:13 PM »
Don't forget your flute and basket *rofl*

1lma00!  You haven't seen me as a swami!

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2014, 06:05:52 PM »
A 668 is a much more forgiving carb for a newbie but yeah max performance from the 990, from cold richening the L needle 1/4 turn is a trick Damo taught me to starting with a 990, as i struggled initially when i swapped over too! Obviously once it fires up screw it back in the 1/4 turn. After the motors warm if tuned right should start pretty easily.

No doubt - do have a category for someone who hasn't qualified as a newbie? *rofl* Maybe Ozzy can create a new level of LSD membership for members who have 'special needs' such as tuning support - bit like learning support - what do you guys think?

I suspect I'll be visiting Pete again for additional tuning tutoring this weekend as my first quick and dirty attempt at tuning has resulted in the car starting and then spluttering to a quick death - and that was with the more forgiving carb - but at least it started. !woohoo!

I assume I'll need to tighten the low end jet to fix the problem unless I have screwed the intake gaskets - which in my case is a high probability! dontknow I think I am so scared that I might seize the engine, I have started very carefully! 1oops1

Will have more time tomorrow as I am planning on taking the day off to spend with the rats.

Will take some video of the stocker that has been made 'pretty' with the alloy and a big ass rear wing from DPS and if I get mine running will take some of that too. Otherwise they will be still shots! *rofl*