Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  A new build just because we didn't screw up the first one enough!  (Read 3699 times)

Offline Jankroau2Topic starter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Full LSD Member
  • Liked: 94
Re: A new build just because we didn't screw up the first one enough!
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 09:56:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pretty sure zoni don't do extended bones,and they don't make them anymore,and they seemed to be shit when they did.
Phatdad do a kit which is the toughest on the market but I'm still using the FLM cups and bones on my 5T (bout 10 hours so far) and Kane uses them on his billet beast with no issues and they're quite a bit cheaper than the Phatdad set up.

The other option for extended arms is the Kraken kit.Ive just fitted a set to my shorty and the seem really beefy and quite a bit lighter than the alloy FLM set up,haven't bash tested them yet but they do come with a lifetime guarantee.FLM also do a nylon kit but there seem to be quite a few breakages of these.

How are the Kraken arms holding up? I picked up some cheapies today to see what it would look like. Has anyone run 5b rear tyres all round? with the extended rear arms and vertigo front extenders, the car looks heaps better with rears all round. I suppose the real test will be when she runs for the first time.

1oops1 not sure sorry mate haven't even taken them for a test run.....and any fine days for the next 3 months (hopefully there'll be a cpl *rofl* ) I'll be outside workin bang head.

Should move to Qld! Beautiful one day - friggin hot the next! But always good weather unless we are underwater! 1oops1

Offline nz420

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2855
  • Mr Happy
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 10:56:26 AM »
Pretty sure zoni don't do extended bones,and they don't make them anymore,and they seemed to be shit when they did.
Phatdad do a kit which is the toughest on the market but I'm still using the FLM cups and bones on my 5T (bout 10 hours so far) and Kane uses them on his billet beast with no issues and they're quite a bit cheaper than the Phatdad set up.

The other option for extended arms is the Kraken kit.Ive just fitted a set to my shorty and the seem really beefy and quite a bit lighter than the alloy FLM set up,haven't bash tested them yet but they do come with a lifetime guarantee.FLM also do a nylon kit but there seem to be quite a few breakages of these.

How are the Kraken arms holding up? I picked up some cheapies today to see what it would look like. Has anyone run 5b rear tyres all round? with the extended rear arms and vertigo front extenders, the car looks heaps better with rears all round. I suppose the real test will be when she runs for the first time.

1oops1 not sure sorry mate haven't even taken them for a test run.....and any fine days for the next 3 months (hopefully there'll be a cpl *rofl* ) I'll be outside workin bang head.

Should move to Qld! Beautiful one day - friggin hot the next! But always good weather unless we are underwater! 1oops1

1oops1 can't afford the air fair........do you think it'll be ok if I arrive by boat? dontknow 1lma00!

Hopefully we have a cpl nice days next week and I'll be able to get out for a bit of a bash and let you know how they're holding up headbang
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:57:30 AM by nz420 »
Contempt without prior investigation will guarantee everlasting ignorance

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 02:19:09 PM »
Hi All,

Sorry for being slack with the updates -sick kids and work has interfered terribly. I'll grab some photo's this afternoon - the missus in on a winter house cleaning mission!

So far, i have built it stock standard except for the following:-

Area RC HD engine brace set
GH Alloy LH engine mount
MB's old 30.5 OBR Full Mod Reed engine
Vertigo front axle extenders
Extended rear arms and drive shafts
FLM Hardened drive cups
Integy alloy gear box
Alloy kick plate reinforcement
Savox 0236 Steering servo with Alloy arm
Savox SC-1256TG throttle servo
Power pipe (Dominator V.1 clone)
HD Pinion gear with heatsink
Kill Switch.

The rest is SS stock standard bits

I still need to add in the TR clutch system and still need to find some steel gears (MB recommended 19/55 so will go with that to start with) and a short stack filter which is like finding a needle in a haystack in Brisbane. bang head

I also have a GH Alloy starter cover coming as I think I will grab a Killer RC steel cable system and house it in the alloy cover given the engine seems to take a bit to turn it over and my piss weak accounting arms aren't used to it! I don't want to bling it for fun - rather make sure it works well well but was thinking that the alloy cover would hopefully help keep the pull starter mechanisms together more effectively. Having said that I'll be adding in some lights as I found them handy on the SS on dusk - not for driving the car more to know whether the damn thing is going to hit me before I can stop it.

I also need to sort out the throttle linkage as it is too long and isn't working properly. MB has told me to shorten it - just need to work out how to do it and still hook everything up to the radio box. 1oops1

When I fired up the car, I noticed that the clutch is engaging with the pull starter. Not sure why. I took the clutch off a losi 23cc dynamite engine and am using the standard clutch bell and clutch holder. No sure why this occurring. bang head

I managed to get the car fired up but had to remove the pinion gear to stop it from trying to engage the clutch when I pulled the starter. She sounds better than the SS (which is also in bits due to a broken flywheel) and is noticeably quieter on idle and acceleration - go figure - more power and less noise - headband

Also has anyone else noticed that the Rovan brake cams are a different size to the HPI brake cam? I picked one up  from PSR thinking I could save a couple of bucks but #$spit&* it doesn't fit. Friggin' useless. *angry*

Once this car is sorted I still have the castle brushless system left over - maybe a third build! *rofl*

As always - thanks for the upcoming advice ahead of schedule - appreciate the assistance.

Offline monsterbug

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 3022
    • Danny
  • Location: right behind you mutha fuka, failing that New Zealand
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 03:40:56 PM »
Maybe you did the clutch bolts up too tight dontknow sounds like the clutch is engaging but because its either to tight or you forgot the belvue washers its just not returning. 
also zenoah and cy clutches are slightly different and require different diameter bolts to secure them to the carrier.

Offline klh mx10

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 7181
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 08:38:57 PM »
Yep sounds to me most likely the clutch bolts are too tight or something is binding there.

Once the clutch is installed I always use red Loctite on the clutch bolts but always check the shoes will flick out and return by using a flatblade screwdriver to force them out, if they are too hard to move or don't return, back the clutch bolts off just enough until they do freely. thumbsup
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

KLH concepts custom painting - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 12:01:28 AM »
Yep sounds to me most likely the clutch bolts are too tight or something is binding there.

Once the clutch is installed I always use red Loctite on the clutch bolts but always check the shoes will flick out and return by using a flatblade screwdriver to force them out, if they are too hard to move or don't return, back the clutch bolts off just enough until they do freely. thumbsup

Ah - makes sense. I have some photo's will upload them as soon as the little rat is asleep. Will have a play with it tonight and have a look - hopefully I won't screw up the threads again.

MB - The engine sounds great but she is a b**** to start up! either that or I really need to get that shoulder rebuild I have been putting off! *rofl*

Am going to pick up a couple of bike spokes tomorrow from my local bike shop to build a new throttle/brake linkage. Any suggestions on type of spoke (I'm going to keep the stock linkage as a spare for the stocky) and if I want to use a metal throttle servo arm, can I use one of the sway bar ball holders to link to the arm? Was thinking that this might give more freedom to the linkage and also allow for some flexibility on shape to the throttle arm.

I am also not that thrilled with the stock steering set up but almost had a coronary when I saw the price of the symsteer setup. I know some of you use the neoplate - how hard is it to install?

Offline monsterbug

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Danny
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2014, 06:08:59 AM »
Yup she's got a bucket full of compression but its down to technique richen the low needle about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn then gently pull the pull start until you feel it engage but also you feel the resistane from the motor at its peak, then it's simply a matter of giving it a solid consittant tug (doesn't have to be super fast just like if you are reading this pop pop pop pop pop pop pop) you should hear it want to fire within a couple pulls, once it does it should fire up (you may need a little throttle especially if you have richened up the low needle. Once its running lean the low speed needle by turning it in by however much you richened it up.
No need to donkey fist it, dont need to be superman its just down to technique thumbsup

Offline monsterbug

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Danny
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2014, 06:12:28 AM »
I made my own symsteer/neoplate as I couldn't justify the expense either mate,  it was a lot of frigging around to get it right, I would highly recommend the neo/badgobble plate as it's cheap and quick to install thumbsup

Offline klh mx10

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 7181
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2014, 05:15:34 PM »
Yeah with my modded 990 carbs i richen (wind out) the L needle 1/4 turn for cold starts, Damo put me onto this and piece of piss ever since, as soon as it fires up just screw the needle back in the 1/4 turn. I find once warm mine stat easy without tweaking the L needle.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

KLH concepts custom painting - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 08:19:46 PM »
Ok - I have finally got myself slightly organised. Released the bolts a bit and the clutch appears to working properly again. Also pulled apart the original SS kit to clean after taking out to Wacol a couple of weeks ago. There has to be a better way that dismantling the car! dontknow

Picked up some Hostile Khaos white dot tyres as they were recommended to be used on the Wacol track for better traction.

Here are some photos of the build to date. Am going to upgrade the transmission to the TR set up and still waiting to get the time to pick up the other parts but it is getting closer.  thumbsup Am also tossing up buying the slipper clutch but am not sure if it will be compatible with the TR set up or whether it is worth getting for the other car.

Be interested to know if anyone has tried running rears all round and what the impact is on steering/control.

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2014, 08:24:20 PM »

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 08:26:23 PM »

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 08:31:21 PM »

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 08:32:11 PM »
woohoo - multiple photos in one post - FINALLY! *rofl*

Offline monsterbug

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Danny
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2014, 08:34:36 PM »
Should've bought a better motor *fishing*  1lma00!
looks good but keep the rears on the rear they will but too much strain on an already less than optimum steering setup thumbsup

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2014, 08:51:33 AM »
Should've bought a better motor *fishing*  1lma00!
looks good but keep the rears on the rear they will but too much strain on an already less than optimum steering setup thumbsup

*rofl* - OK Newbie mistake - should know not to trust a bloody kiwi! *fishing* The motor when I finally start to drive it will probably go braa braa braa braa braaa braaa instead of pop pop pop pop....1lma00!

Has any one managed to create a dual servo steering mechanism for the baja? I was thinking that the rears on the front really do seem to help with the balance of the car. I have some aluminium plating that I salvaged from an electronic whiteboard that my son watered with his water bottle - will see what I can make up - need to do some measurements - I have never welded so It will need to be screwed together whatever I do!

Offline bajabrad

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2419
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2014, 08:55:05 AM »
Try the Neoplate Janky thumbsup Sounds like you like a bit of hands-on & it is heaps better.

Offline monsterbug

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Danny
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2014, 09:15:57 AM »
Try the Neoplate Janky thumbsup Sounds like you like a bit of hands-on & it is heaps better.
Couldn't build your own for the cost of a neoplate  thumbsup

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 11:07:47 AM »
Like han
Try the Neoplate Janky thumbsup Sounds like you like a bit of hands-on & it is heaps better.
Couldn't build your own for the cost of a neoplate  thumbsup

like hands on - just useless at it

Offline SamboDub

• Trade Count: (0)
  • LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 24
  • Drive it like you stole it
  • Instagram: sffotography
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2014, 09:11:34 PM »
Whats it like with Rears on the front would be more weight and steering would be heavy and slow even with 2 servos ? And the thinner wheels are good for steering ?

Will be good to see how it goes
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

[ Baja 5b - Traxxas Slash 2wd - Axial AX10/SCX10 - Tamiya TT01 Drifter - TFL Rocket Boat ][ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ]

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2014, 12:45:16 AM »
Whats it like with Rears on the front would be more weight and steering would be heavy and slow even with 2 servos ? And the thinner wheels are good for steering ?

Will let you know when I get the drive train installed properly - thanks to Kane and MB I have sorted the clutch (for the moment!)1oops1

I should have it up and running by the weekend hopefully. Will try and get a video of it running. Given the feedback, I am expecting to thrash the servo and steering set up - then an upgrade to a neo plate potentially. thumbsup

Offline monsterbug

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Danny
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2014, 05:28:06 AM »

Will let you know when I get the drive train installed properly - thanks to Kane and MB I have sorted the clutch (for the moment!)1oops1

I should have it up and running by the weekend hopefully. Will try and get a video of it running. Given the feedback, I am expecting to thrash the servo and steering set up - then an upgrade to a neo plate potentially. thumbsup

Bro do the neoplate, you can buy them from bajabrad thumbsup

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2014, 08:13:52 AM »

Bro do the neoplate, you can buy them from bajabrad thumbsup

thumbsup - Already on it - and my dealer brad is also letting me feed my habit by buying a enclosed steel chassis! 1beer! Now I need to find a supplier of an FG or Elcon servo set up! *fishing*

I finally worked out the clutch - I had put on backwards! bang head - in the end I replaced the clutch with a 6,000rpm zenoah clutch given the comments about smoother engagement.

I replaced the outer CY starter cover with an aluminium holder and I'm not sure whether its my imagination but the pulling action is definitely smoother despite the internals being the same - it might be the result of the silicon lubricant I put through the system. Anyway, I can get 4 or 5 pops before my shoulder dislocates! *angry* - Shoulder rebuild #3 here I come...

Now waiting on the arrival of the TR gear set up and my fabrication of revised throttle/brake linkage. Hopefully I can get the linkage built today.

Cheers all for the continuing help and commentary! plusone!

Offline monsterbug

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Danny
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2014, 08:20:30 AM »
Fg servo savers are available from rok rc buddy thumbsup you'll  also need longer rods for your streering arms, I'm sure brad can tell you what to get

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2014, 09:12:15 AM »
Fg servo savers are available from rok rc buddy thumbsup you'll  also need longer rods for your streering arms, I'm sure brad can tell you what to get

Cheers for that - BajaBrad has also provided with a source.

I now need to buy another pull start mechanism! bang head I thought there was too much play in the rope so I tightened it and then broke the plastic spool on its first pull - newbie error I suppose! #$spit&*  I now know that some play is useful!

Becoming an expensive learning process *rofl* - new clutch, new pull starter, new flywheel new ignition coil (a rock got stuck in the engine and tore apart the flywheel and ignition coil!) am now going to do the mods that some of you guys did and glue some metal meshing into the housing to protect it from more of the rubble! Have to get a new job to pay for all of this! ^screwy*

Thanks again for the response! thumbsup I will hopefully have the throttle linkage sorted sometime this week and get some video of it running over the weekend. The kid s really keen to see the Qld titles next weekend so we will be taking a trip across to say hi. Hopefully it it is running by then.