Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  A new build just because we didn't screw up the first one enough!  (Read 3808 times)

Offline Jankroau2Topic starter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Full LSD Member
  • Liked: 94
Hi All,

As some of you are aware, I have just picked up Monsterbug's engine which seems from all accounts to be a pretty good power plant - Not as insane as Baja Brad's 70cc - and sufficiently manly so as not be accused of wearing a skirt despite being a Queensland supporter (Right Brad #$spit&*).

The purchase got me thinking about what vehicle I should stick it into and my son came up with idea of building a dedicated basher.

We have been in the process of accumulating HPI parts to put the 23cc losi dynamite engine into for the boy to run as his own. So am part way through another build (I know &worthless& - I'll put up pictures over the weekend!)

I have priced the parts of a scratch build using spares and it seems to be cheaper buying a full kit instead. The question is whether to buy a rovan to start with as the donor since the arms, chassis (baja brad - looks like I'll be acquiring one of yours either way thumbsup) and drivetrain and the plastics seem ok compared to the SS kit I bought in the US, although the real test will be when we crash it I suppose.

We'll be keeping the SS as a stock standard car with the exception of the new alloy bumper I acquired after hitting a retaining wall and building the new beastie as a dedicated basher which hopefully can withstand our crazy driving - you never know I may be able to convince him to come to race it in time.

So my question is whether to buy a cheap HPI second hand (Open to offers!) , buy the Rovan 5t at $499 and swap the heart and then replace parts (although Chassis and drivetrain would be immediate I suspect) as they break or make another stupid decision and buy a new 5SC kit for $1100 and rapidly replace as I break? My thinking is starting with the Rovan and spending another $500-$600 will probably get me where I want to be for the price of a 5SC but probably won't have the resale value (God this sounds like real cars! 1oops1) We already have a spare receiver for the 4PLS so electricals are fine.

Happy to take guidance as most of you lot are insane enough to do this on a regular basis so you can help me avoid newbie mistakes or take advantage if you have parts to dispose of! *fishing* *rofl*

Offline klh mx10

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 7181
Re: A new build just because we didn't screw up the first one enough!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 09:20:12 PM »
I've had several Rovans as have mates and to be honest now I would recommend the SS kit without motor instead.

There's just so many more hassles with the Rovans that you won't get on the real deal, and unless you know the Baja's inside out I wouldn't get one, plenty of Rovan parts are fine but quality control is all over the shop.

I run plenty of Rovan parts on my cars but mainly the nylon stuff, also tyres are fine too.

If you do go the Rovan route buy the Nylon ones with the white plastics - or some come already coloured now, not the black plastic versions. thumbsup
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

KLH concepts custom painting - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline SamboDub

• Trade Count: (0)
  • LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 24
  • Drive it like you stole it
  • Instagram: sffotography
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 09:51:19 PM »
Get a roller HPI SS like Kane recommends , then throw a zenoha 29cc in there with a rear dome and good servos and you'll have a mint baja , then just upgrade parts as you need to . Little bit more expensive in the beginning but will save cash in the long run for parts like gears etc and less wrench time and more driving :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

[ Baja 5b - Traxxas Slash 2wd - Axial AX10/SCX10 - Tamiya TT01 Drifter - TFL Rocket Boat ][ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ]

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 12:12:16 AM »
Cheers boys - I agree with Kane, I've only seen some of their wheels and a couple of rovan parts and they have been fine to date (allows me to save the HPI ones for later when we know what we are doing!) I was leaning towards the SC SS kit as it will give me the option of keeping it as a 5b or using as a 5T later.

I don't need the power plant so I suppose I could get rid of it or keep it as a spare in case the one in the existing beastie dies.

Oh well, I'll trawl the for sale section for one before making a final call.thumbsup

Offline klh mx10

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 7181
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 08:45:07 AM »
The 2nd hand cars show up fairly often and some really good deals to be had Alain as unfortunately for sellers the resale on Baja's is total shit atm.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

KLH concepts custom painting - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bajabrad

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2419
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 10:06:50 AM »
Contact Tommy. I'm pretty sure he has a SS kit that he might be getting rid of.

Offline bajabrad

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 10:43:51 AM »
I would highly recommend a WORKS bumper instead of the alloy ones. They give a little & gene really bounce back as opposed to the alloy.

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 10:58:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would highly recommend a WORKS bumper instead of the alloy ones. They give a little & gene really bounce back as opposed to the alloy.

*notworthy* - Ok - another item to spend - do you have any of the totally enclosed chassis still available?

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 10:58:31 AM »
Contact Tommy. I'm pretty sure he has a SS kit that he might be getting rid of.

Who is Tommy?

Offline bajabrad

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 11:01:50 AM »
*notworthy* - Ok - another item to spend - do you have any of the totally enclosed chassis still available?

Sure do.
Tommy is Justin2000 he's up here in Brissy & a top bloke.

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 11:30:42 AM »
Let me know when I can grab one off you and what the cost is - I'll drop by next week sometime. Can you also let Justin know I am in the market - cheap and cheerful always better! *fishing*

Offline Justin2000

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2357
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 12:31:51 PM »
I have a ss with good amount of spares never run plus brand new mamba brushless system installed . Just need to confirm with other member I promised to sell first if he still keen on it . I'm after $550 that for good c*(% in LSD only lol. Will let you know ASAP
Here some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 01:01:25 PM »

Sure do.
Tommy is Justin2000 he's up here in Brissy & a top bloke.

Who pays the commission to Baja Brad if we do a deal? *rofl*

Cheers for the heads up! That is another one I owe you....

AP

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 12:09:51 PM »
Just a quick post to thank Brad and Tommy for getting me the beastie to start the new build. Both have been brilliant in helping me out with this. plusone!

I am going to use Monsterbug's Engine as the heart, am thinking of picking up the FLM extended arms set but am not sure about the dog ones and some of Kane's carbon bits. Am still to decide on gear system and throttle and steering linkages as I am not that happy with stock set up on the Baja.

Has anyone had experience with them or the Zoni dogbones - they seem to be the only ones with extended lengths that I can find easily.

Also, is there a better break set up than the stock disks?

Cheers again

Offline nz420

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2856
  • Mr Happy
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 12:50:04 PM »
Pretty sure zoni don't do extended bones,and they don't make them anymore,and they seemed to be shit when they did.
Phatdad do a kit which is the toughest on the market but I'm still using the FLM cups and bones on my 5T (bout 10 hours so far) and Kane uses them on his billet beast with no issues and they're quite a bit cheaper than the Phatdad set up.

The other option for extended arms is the Kraken kit.Ive just fitted a set to my shorty and the seem really beefy and quite a bit lighter than the alloy FLM set up,haven't bash tested them yet but they do come with a lifetime guarantee.FLM also do a nylon kit but there seem to be quite a few breakages of these.
Contempt without prior investigation will guarantee everlasting ignorance

Offline monsterbug

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 3022
    • Danny
  • Location: right behind you mutha fuka, failing that New Zealand
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »
Just a quick post to thank Brad and Tommy for getting me the beastie to start the new build. Both have been brilliant in helping me out with this. plusone!

I am going to use Monsterbug's Engine as the heart, am thinking of picking up the FLM extended arms set but am not sure about the dog ones and some of Kane's carbon bits. Am still to decide on gear system and throttle and steering linkages as I am not that happy with stock set up on the Baja.

Has anyone had experience with them or the Zoni dogbones - they seem to be the only ones with extended lengths that I can find easily.

Also, is there a better break set up than the stock disks?

Cheers again
nono Its your engine now brother *rofl*

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 03:07:06 AM »
OK - MY new engine arrived from NZ today, along with a large part of Monsterbug's farm *rofl*. After a quick clean up and new clutch, I have replaced the fan cover and pull starter from a losi 23cc dynamite engine, cleaner OBR engine looks like this.

Damn - still can't get the photo's up. Here's the link!

I reckon I should keep the 23cc pull start - most powerful 23cc ever! 1lma00!

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far.

Offline monsterbug

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Danny
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 03:23:18 AM »
OK - MY new engine arrived from NZ today, along with a large part of Monsterbug's farm *rofl*. After a quick clean up and new clutch, I have replaced the fan cover and pull starter from a losi 23cc dynamite engine, cleaner OBR engine looks like this.

Damn - still can't get the photo's up. Here's the link!

I reckon I should keep the 23cc pull start - most powerful 23cc ever! 1lma00!

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far.

1oops1 i just wanted to get it posted asap, by the way your link is to an empty album bang head

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 06:52:55 PM »
D'oh - sorry about that will try and fix later tonight. Appreciate the engine coming across so quickly. Looks great! Just picked up the roller from Tommy today and had a quick drive at the SEQ track. Awesome track - made me realise what an ordinary driver I am!bang head

Will take a full set of photos tomorrow as we will start the build in earnest tomorrow.

Thanks again Monsterbug, Kane, Bajabrad and Tommy for helping out to date.

Offline monsterbug

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Danny
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 07:24:35 PM »
D'oh - sorry about that will try and fix later tonight. Appreciate the engine coming across so quickly. Looks great! Just picked up the roller from Tommy today and had a quick drive at the SEQ track. Awesome track - made me realise what an ordinary driver I am!bang head

Will take a full set of photos tomorrow as we will start the build in earnest tomorrow.

Thanks again Monsterbug, Kane, Bajabrad and Tommy for helping out to date.
No sweat mate you were easy to do business with *gc*

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 08:32:21 PM »
Let's try the engine phot's again....still need to find 55mm m5 bolts for the carb/filter.

Link

Offline seano

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1264
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 03:52:24 AM »

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 01:37:31 AM »
Pretty sure zoni don't do extended bones,and they don't make them anymore,and they seemed to be shit when they did.
Phatdad do a kit which is the toughest on the market but I'm still using the FLM cups and bones on my 5T (bout 10 hours so far) and Kane uses them on his billet beast with no issues and they're quite a bit cheaper than the Phatdad set up.

The other option for extended arms is the Kraken kit.Ive just fitted a set to my shorty and the seem really beefy and quite a bit lighter than the alloy FLM set up,haven't bash tested them yet but they do come with a lifetime guarantee.FLM also do a nylon kit but there seem to be quite a few breakages of these.

How are the Kraken arms holding up? I picked up some cheapies today to see what it would look like. Has anyone run 5b rear tyres all round? with the extended rear arms and vertigo front extenders, the car looks heaps better with rears all round. I suppose the real test will be when she runs for the first time.

Offline bajabrad

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 05:59:25 AM »
The trouble with rears on the front is they load up your steering & puts extra strain on your servo so response is slowed a bit. 

But if the wheels are in the air who cares!! !dirtbike!

Offline nz420

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2856
  • Mr Happy
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 12:41:26 PM »

How are the Kraken arms holding up? I picked up some cheapies today to see what it would look like. Has anyone run 5b rear tyres all round? with the extended rear arms and vertigo front extenders, the car looks heaps better with rears all round. I suppose the real test will be when she runs for the first time.

1oops1 not sure sorry mate haven't even taken them for a test run.....and any fine days for the next 3 months (hopefully there'll be a cpl *rofl* ) I'll be outside workin bang head.
Contempt without prior investigation will guarantee everlasting ignorance