Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  mtbkym01's HPI Baja 5T Q & A Thread  (Read 6817 times)

Offline mtbkym01Topic starter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Jr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 94
mtbkym01's HPI Baja 5T Q & A Thread
« on: June 12, 2014, 09:16:02 PM »
Ok, So I'll ask the questions, and I hope you can provide the answers. As per my intro thread, I've just found out the good minister for war and finance has bought me a 2nd hand "one of those great big RC things that I think you want". She's a bloody champ who doesn't hinder my hobby in any way (collection of 60+ rc cars dontknow). So here's some pics of what I believe to be a pretty stock standard 5T rtr
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I've only seen these pics myself so far. Looks a little rough to my eyes. I'm thinking a strip down and clean/inspect for starters, and let me say straight up that (at this stage headbang) this will only be a basher, but I'm definately thinking a 'tuned pipe' rather than that shitty looking little muffler will be one of the first things I do, so will be looking for advice there, but is there anything else in particular that I should be looking at upgrading real early on?

Looking forward to this, and any advice will be greatly appreciated
Cheers 1beer!
RC Racer, Basher, and Collector
"If it's Old Skool, It's Kool"
RCHobbyzone.com.au

Offline badwobble

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 6738
Re: mtbkym01's HPI Baja 5T Q & A Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 09:32:58 PM »
The inspection is a great idea to start with, once done I would look at some TR shock towers  (maybe some TR front and rear top plates) and a lower front chassis brace. after that just replace as you break is the best bet  thumbsup

PS. Killer Rc shock limiting cables and a kill switch also
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 09:35:09 PM by badwobble »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The wisest men follow their own direction.
May all your encounters with the law begin with the words, NICE HARLEY!

Offline AndyC

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2515
  • SALS Member
    • Andy the Crashologist
  • Club: SALS
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 09:40:50 PM »
What Wobble said + outerwears for your filter and new rear tyres thumbsup
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

SALS Member #47
Committee Member
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
SALS 2013 Summer Series Stock Class Champion
Monster Energy 5B Stock 26cc
Elcon Imp4ct with Black4Z
Sponsered by "BLACKSMITH RACING"
hitting everything since 2012

Offline Ledge75

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 388
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 09:41:15 PM »
Just a few things I would do and is only my opinion as a basher myself I would definitely go with a killer rc super bee killswitch which will stop runaways at the push of a button from your 3rd channel on your radio. The cheapest insurance you can get for your car and you can buy direct using the discount code he has been so good to give the members here at LSD. I would also recommend grabbing in that order a set of killer straps to ensure you don't rip a shock ball end off when jumping. (Believe me I learnt the hard way there lol).

I would also piss off that plastic clutch bell carrier and buy either the vertigo or turtle racing clutch systems depending on what you want to spend.

Apart from those things the next major things I would advise to change would be upper chassis top plate and rear tranny plate and front and rear shock tower braces. I chose to run turtle racing they are one of the best in my opinion but there are some other good brands on the market also.

If you want a really good pipe that is real good bang for buck I would go with either the clone vrc pro silenced copy side mount pipe from predator rc it really is one of the best pipes I have run and I have run a quite a few different ones even a genuine vrc pro silenced pipe that was about $160 dearer but no better, or 2ndly the thor power pipe that is a clone of the cpi big bore pipe which is great if you want a protected pipe as it hides nicely in the rear and away from damage. It isn't as harsh and has a bit less top end but has great bottom to mid end power.

The only other important thing is good electrics. Hitec or Savox servos, and maybe as a basher as not to crack the chassis under guard stiffener. Lol that's a fairly decent list but apart from that and maybe whacking in a zen 29 or bigger engine of choice I don't think you would need to change anything else unless it broke. That will give you a strong reliable basher for sure. Predator rc are good too and have a discount code on here for the members and if you need any links or have any questions about the things I have said I change just send me a pm and I can give you links of where to find them.

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 09:46:27 PM »
The inspection is a great idea to start with, once done I would look at some TR shock towers  (maybe some TR front and rear top plates) and a lower front chassis brace. after that just replace as you break is the best bet  thumbsup

PS. Killer Rc shock limiting cables and a kill switch also
Yep, already got a kill switch, funny that, had it a while, left over from finishing the build of my Brother in law's 5B SS
RCHobbyzone.com.au

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 09:50:11 PM »
Just a few things I would do and is only my opinion as a basher myself I would definitely go with a killer rc super bee killswitch which will stop runaways at the push of a button from your 3rd channel on your radio. The cheapest insurance you can get for your car and you can buy direct using the discount code he has been so good to give the members here at LSD. I would also recommend grabbing in that order a set of killer straps to ensure you don't rip a shock ball end off when jumping. (Believe me I learnt the hard way there lol).

I would also piss off that plastic clutch bell carrier and buy either the vertigo or turtle racing clutch systems depending on what you want to spend.

Apart from those things the next major things I would advise to change would be upper chassis top plate and rear tranny plate and front and rear shock tower braces. I chose to run turtle racing they are one of the best in my opinion but there are some other good brands on the market also.

If you want a really good pipe that is real good bang for buck I would go with either the clone vrc pro silenced copy side mount pipe from predator rc it really is one of the best pipes I have run and I have run a quite a few different ones even a genuine vrc pro silenced pipe that was about $160 dearer but no better, or 2ndly the thor power pipe that is a clone of the cpi big bore pipe which is great if you want a protected pipe as it hides nicely in the rear and away from damage. It isn't as harsh and has a bit less top end but has great bottom to mid end power.

The only other important thing is good electrics. Hitec or Savox servos, and maybe as a basher as not to crack the chassis under guard stiffener. Lol that's a fairly decent list but apart from that and maybe whacking in a zen 29 or bigger engine of choice I don't think you would need to change anything else unless it broke. That will give you a strong reliable basher for sure. Predator rc are good too and have a discount code on here for the members and if you need any links or have any questions about the things I have said I change just send me a pm and I can give you links of where to find them.
Wow, awesome post, cheers, Thinking i'll definitely be in touch
RCHobbyzone.com.au

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 08:02:52 AM »
Another question, The standard wheels/tyres seem a fair bit narrower than buggy wheels/tyres, can I fit buggy wheels/tyres to the truck? Will it look stupid? any benefits in doing so, particularly traction wise? Other options? Pics and links would be great

Cheers
RCHobbyzone.com.au

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 10:31:51 AM »
Just checked out the bits I've already got, a TGN Kill Switch, and Outerwears for the filter and pullstart
RCHobbyzone.com.au

Offline Ledge75

• LSD Contributor
  • Sr. LSD Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 11:55:28 AM »
f*** mate who cares what others think, as long as you enjoy your Baja and how it handles and performs do it your way. But I can tell you I changed my tyres to the buggy ones as they handle so much better. I actually got a set of alloy rims on my 5sc that I run my methanol reed case engine in and I bought them 2nd hand but all 4 are rear rims. So my 5sc has fat rear buggy tyres all the way round and looks like a big truggy but I don't care if the next guy thinks it looks stupid coz it works for me. I think it actually looks chunky and beasty. Yes buggy tyres look a little out of scale but no biggy in my opinion as they aren't heaps smaller. I will sacrifice scale for better performance or handling in the bashing areas I go. Look at most of the exhausts we run they aren't to scale lol. If you can maybe try a set 1st to see the difference then choose.

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 01:38:55 PM »
f*** mate who cares what others think, as long as you enjoy your Baja and how it handles and performs do it your way. But I can tell you I changed my tyres to the buggy ones as they handle so much better. I actually got a set of alloy rims on my 5sc that I run my methanol reed case engine in and I bought them 2nd hand but all 4 are rear rims. So my 5sc has fat rear buggy tyres all the way round and looks like a big truggy but I don't care if the next guy thinks it looks stupid coz it works for me. I think it actually looks chunky and beasty. Yes buggy tyres look a little out of scale but no biggy in my opinion as they aren't heaps smaller. I will sacrifice scale for better performance or handling in the bashing areas I go. Look at most of the exhausts we run they aren't to scale lol. If you can maybe try a set 1st to see the difference then choose.
Oh I dont care what others think, but I care what it looks like, I can try some buggy wheels/tyres so will do that for sure, cheers
RCHobbyzone.com.au

Offline Ledge75

• LSD Contributor
  • Sr. LSD Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 02:23:01 PM »
Yeah do that, I tried buggy tyres first fronts and rears but now run all four rears all round. You will see it handles better and less prone to roll overs. That and 50wt hpi silicone shock oil worked a treat for me. But in time you will find a good balance to what suits your driving style and areas or surfaces you drive in or on. thumbsup      driven1

Offline stephoon

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 527
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 02:40:35 PM »
Have you got wheel extender's? They give the car a wider stance and help's to prevent roll over's.

Skies the limit when doing one of these, just depend's how deep your pocket's are.

Thanks for the signature Steve!
A fkwit said as a tip to another driver "don't let them pass! if they're good enough, they'll pass you!"
"BIGOT" is his new name. Who's ass kissing now?
$$Wallet funded enthusiast!$$

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 02:46:11 PM »
Have you got wheel extender's? They give the car a wider stance and help's to prevent roll over's.

Skies the limit when doing one of these, just depend's how deep your pocket's are.
I'll look into the extenders, Oh and yeah I'm noticing that options appear to be endless, and $$$$ galore, scary
RCHobbyzone.com.au

Offline stephoon

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 527
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 03:02:38 PM »
You could go light or have a bling machine or both.

Ledge (Ryan) has nearly covered with all the upgrade info and must's on the setup. As he said, just need to see what you want it to do and what you ant it to look like.

I'd google picture's and go from there, but again, it all add's up lol!

Or, just do the basic safety thing's like the kill switch then replace as you break them and save money on all the other upgrade's.

Thanks for the signature Steve!
A fkwit said as a tip to another driver "don't let them pass! if they're good enough, they'll pass you!"
"BIGOT" is his new name. Who's ass kissing now?
$$Wallet funded enthusiast!$$

Offline bennyd

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2035
  • Benny
    • Benny
  • Instagram: bennyd1980
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 08:19:28 PM »
And if you're planning on running buggy rears on the front you'll want a decent servo to swing them.
Back playing with real cars

Quote from: GonzoRacer
All too often I say "I can build something nicer than that" and I'm looking at my own build log...

Offline Ledge75

• LSD Contributor
  • Sr. LSD Member
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 08:45:44 PM »
Yeah I have only done rear axle extenders at present but will most likely put front ones on in the near future. I did a 5sc and a 5b and it was a shock to the wallet lol. But oh well I love my rc's and don't have much else I spend on. I did the 5sc first but then gathered all the parts for my 5b so I  could just do one tear down and change over the bits. I hate pulling something off more than once because sometimes you find double handling with certain parts. Remember the options are nearly endless and just depend on the depth of your pockets. But certain things its a matter of spend now to save later due to damage caused if a part lets you down. And I hate down time lol.

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 09:05:27 PM »
So improving the clutch system, just been looking at PredatorRC and I'm a bit confused I must admit, I guess It's hard when I haven't got the car yet, but surely I don't "need" to spend $220 on a new clutch set up? Remembering this thing is basically a stock 23cc jobbie, what would be my best bet to keep costs down, already up to nearly $200 on a few Turtle racing bits.
RCHobbyzone.com.au

Offline in rod we trust

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2482
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 09:10:53 PM »
So improving the clutch system, just been looking at PredatorRC and I'm a bit confused I must admit, I guess It's hard when I haven't got the car yet, but surely I don't "need" to spend $220 on a new clutch set up? Remembering this thing is basically a stock 23cc jobbie, what would be my best bet to keep costs down, already up to nearly $200 on a few Turtle racing bits.

just go standard zenoah clutch and bolt/s for it..

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:12:32 PM by in rod we trust »

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 09:25:46 PM »

just go standard zenoah clutch and bolt/s for it..

That's awesome, is there anything else I should get from that website !woohoo!
RCHobbyzone.com.au

Offline Ledge75

• LSD Contributor
  • Sr. LSD Member
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 09:51:18 PM »
I was referring to the clutch bell carrier mainly instead of the 3 point plastic carrier and I would recommend the vertigo GT190 as they are a good brand. here's the link of where I got mine as he was the cheapest I could find. You can get in black, pewter or raw finish.

That's what I run on one Baja and I use the Turtle racing V2 HD clutch on the other.

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 10:07:34 PM »
I was referring to the clutch bell carrier mainly instead of the 3 point plastic carrier and I would recommend the vertigo GT190 as they are a good brand. here's the link of where I got mine as he was the cheapest I could find. You can get in black, pewter or raw finish.

That's what I run on one Baja and I use the Turtle racing V2 HD clutch on the other.

Awesome, just getting lists together, then will count my $$$ and see what I can get, really appreciate all the info you guys are giving me, if anyone needs some 1/10 or 1/8 advice, let me know *rofl*

RCHobbyzone.com.au

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 10:24:08 AM »
Going for a drive today to pick up the 5T i've been told bananad, so will have a better understanding of what I'm dealing with, as the rebuild/refurb starts, I'll post pics of my progress, cheers
!boobs!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:25:46 AM by mtbkym01 »
RCHobbyzone.com.au

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 11:21:20 AM »
Ok, so just reviewing the manual linked here, and I see the 5T has the Fuelie 26 engine in the manual, is this true for all 5T's, I thought I'd be getting the 23cc engine, but if it's got the 26cc, i'll be pretty happy for a while atleast thumbsup
RCHobbyzone.com.au

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 02:43:50 PM »
So yes it has the 26cc fuelie engine, I put some fuel in it, it won't start, checked the plug and it's quite dirty but does spark (a bit), apparently it hasn't been run for about a year, will a new plug be the go do you think? Compression feels good I think, not sure why else it won't go.
Is the NGK CMR7H available off the shelf, or will I need to order them in? Cheers
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:04:37 PM by mtbkym01 »
RCHobbyzone.com.au

Offline Baja Dan

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2861
  • Banned for Life
    • The Worlds Best RC Site, Bar None
  • Location: Jack Lives Here, Jim Lives Here, So, I Live Here.......
  • Club: UHROC
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 05:32:08 PM »
if its been sitting for a year, i'd probably replace the spark plug anyway, fresh fuel, charged battery, or possibly replaced.

put the vehicle on a stand, wheels hanging free, and rotate all the wheels, listening to the bearings, they should rotate smoothly, with no noise.

The diff should also rotate smoothly.

take the spur gear cover off the side, check the spur gear (big one), and the pinion gear (little one), make sure they rotate freely, with no noisy grinding.

once you're all checked, you should be fine.
Sent from the LSD Naughty corner, using a flashlight and morse code

.... - - .--. ---... -..-. -..-. -... .. - .-.-.- .-.. -.-- -..-. .---- --... .-- ..-. -.. ..-. .-.