Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  Grim Reapers "Doomsday" 5T build  (Read 5726 times)

Online Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 15248
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
  • Instagram: OzzyMozzyLSD
  • Club: Freestyle Flyers
Re: Grim Reapers "Doomsday" 5T build
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2014, 10:40:33 PM »
Its looking good Mick, i like the colors thumbsup
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Grim ReaperTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 3557
  • Mick
  • Club: Red Lion Rebels
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2014, 11:03:33 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm really happy with how this builds coming together...........it's a little while off being complete yet but I'm hoping she'll be ready for the next Red Lion bash headbang
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sal355

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 274
  • George
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2014, 11:42:44 PM »
Good stuff Mick , its coming along nicely  thumbsup

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 12:49:26 AM »
Little more progress, now with the chassis inserts in you can't access the on/off switch in it's normal position, so I did a fairly simple mod by relocating the switch to the lid. Blocked off the hole with some double sided tape. Once I get the pico installed I'll drill another hole for the led.

Installed the side rails and trays

I'm waiting on an order from ddm which should hopefully be arriving this week and I can't do much else until it comes..........so decided to get the tyres sorted. Got some 5T wheels and tyres off fleabay for a bargain price. The guy I got them off had bloody superglued the tyres and beadlocks to the rims bang head so was a PITA to separate it all then clean down and start again. Luckily the foams and set of rodeos that he sent are still in very good condition.......so alls well that ends well.........hopefully these go alright thumbsup

Offline NitroManiac

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 743
  • Full time Maniac
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 01:38:19 AM »
Looks sweet! the small blue parts really stand out!
He who sows capacity will reap torque - where seeds are missing thy must grow revs

Offline AndyC

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2515
  • SALS Member
    • Andy the Crashologist
  • Club: SALS
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 06:56:36 AM »
Lookin good Mick thumbsup

SALS Member #47
Committee Member
SALS 2013 Summer Series Stock Class Champion
Monster Energy 5B Stock 26cc
Elcon Imp4ct with Black4Z
Sponsered by "BLACKSMITH RACING"
hitting everything since 2012

Offline badwobble

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 6738
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 11:59:33 AM »
Getting there Sarg  headbang

The wisest men follow their own direction.
May all your encounters with the law begin with the words, NICE HARLEY!

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2014, 11:51:05 PM »
Thanks guys, made some more progress today before work. Sitting in the garage I hear a truck pull up out the front and I knew straight away it was the cage arriving from Brad as I had a text from the courier in the morning......I didn't waste anytime upwrapping it lol

Managed to get some of the rear end done, but then had to go to work. Gonna spray the bumper rails and cage risers blue to add a little colour at the rear. My pico arrived today as well so that's the next job.

When I get some time, I'll finish off the rest, then dye the cage.....all I'm waiting on now is the last piece of the puzzle, a pipe thumbsup

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »
Got working on the cage, the other day I set it up to dye it black, left it to soak all day, but I only had a 25lt container to sit it in and couldn't submerge all the pieces correctly, so it only came out a bluish colour after all that ffs bang head

rather than waste time trying to dye it again, I just painted it.....hopefully tonight I can put it back together, mount it up and see what it looks like

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 01:41:25 AM »
Ok well things didn't go quite as I'd hoped tonight, I found out a few things which I wasn't aware of 1oops1

First up I mocked up the cage, I thought hmm this looks ok right dontknow

But then I realised the cage wasn't sitting properly and I soon discovered the piggybacks on the shocks are in the way so I can't use them bang head have to swap them over PITA

Now what's more annoying is I thought the 5B rear bumper would work 1oops1 but the cage doesn't stretch that far bang head dontknow

So now I need to know, can it be fixed somehow with what I have? or will I need a different rear bumper dontknow
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:44:54 AM by Grim Reaper »

Offline bajabrad

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2419
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 07:40:38 AM »
Do the side cage pins line up Mick?

Here is a pic of the rear mount on what looks like a 5B rear bumper.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:47:31 AM by bajabrad »

Offline Mr Cali

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 353
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 07:49:32 AM »
I have it on my 5T which uses the same rear end as the 5B and it fits if you stretch it. You may need the 5T front body mount for it to work.
Best way to fit it,is to install the back mounts first then the front. As for the sides I only use the front mounts, you can make all 4 fit with some force but then the mounts doesn't match the body.   

I'll take some pics when I get home mate

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 10:54:28 AM »
Yeah Brad the side pins will line up with a bit of a stretch. I think it's just the piggybacks that are causing the issue, but can't work out why there is so much gap at the rear dontknow hopefully the cage didn't shrink during the dying process *rofl*

And yes I will need to get a proper 5T front body mount and the proper side rail pins 1oops1

I'll pull it apart again, changeover shock tops and start again..........at least I can still use the 5B rear bumper then thumbsup

Online Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2014, 12:15:39 PM »
I probably have some of the parts you need, send me a list in a PM and ill have a look

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2014, 06:43:25 PM »
Cool thanks Steve! will do tonight when I get home from work 1beer!

Offline Mr Cali

• Sr. LSD Member
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2014, 08:57:40 PM »
Ok here are some pics, hope it helps you.

Hard to get on initially, but once you do and keep it on for a week or so it will stretch into shape.

The length of the front body mount will help you stretch it into position

Rear side mount, as you can see if off quite a bit.

Offline klh mx10

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 7181
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
My Rovan cage was a bit short too - had to flex shit out of it to reach the mounts properly and was never a fantastic fit, but worked and has been said over time will flex and stretch into shape a bit better.

KLH concepts custom painting - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2014, 11:50:03 PM »
Ok sweet thanks for putting my mind at ease guys, I'll rebuild it and see how we go 1beer!

Offline Mr Cali

• Sr. LSD Member
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2014, 04:16:30 PM »
parts can be had for cheap here too You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2014, 02:16:31 AM »
ok got the shocks sorted, all rebuilt with some painted parts and alloy shaft housings, much better than the piggys anyway i reckon now

all back together and the cage now fits !woohoo! ............it was the piggybacks that were the issue 1oops1 1beer!

Had to stretch it into place slightly but not much at all...I'm using body post pins to hold it in place for now and gonna leave it on for a while thumbsup

Got the front mount coming next week (cheers Steve) and placed a small order with PRC to get the proper side rail posts etc. All that's left now is to pull the donk from the shorty, revamp it and sort the pipe next week, couple finishing touches and adjustments, then it's ready to rock and roll headbang

Offline Clinton92

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 191
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2014, 08:34:35 PM »
Looking good mick thumbsup

Hopefully its up and running for km speedy reserve.

Online Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2014, 08:37:45 PM »
Looks great Mick, a shame the blue dye didn't work out, it would have been cool......

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2014, 09:12:41 PM »
Looking good mick thumbsup

Hopefully its up and running for km speedy reserve.

Thanks Clint, that's the plan mate thumbsup

Looks great Mick, a shame the blue dye didn't work out, it would have been cool......

Cheers Steve, I know bang head I actually thought about leaving it blue for a while (something different) when it came out but unfortunately it was quite patchy and several white bits showing still so painted it out of frustration lol.................gonna paint the pipe blue to counter all the black thumbsup

Offline Ddrummer16

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1070
  • Jesse
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2014, 10:48:03 PM »
Looks great Mick!

Just the right amount of colour in it
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Need to lay off the Jandal

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2014, 02:14:54 PM »
I've made a bit more progress and it's almost finished.  My vrc pro side pipe arrived yesterday and got to work on it straight away

Rusty as f*** when it arrived

But didn't stay like that for long, couple coats of Ranex and bit of elbow grease with steel wool and this was the end result, much better

I thought about running it polished so started to rub some autosol and buff but without a bench grinder and proper polish wheel it would have taken forever. Staring at the car on the shelf I thought about the colour and decided there was just the right amount of blue already, so I made the decision to paint it black. One coat of etch primer, and 2 coats of VHT gloss black to finish

Now for the engine, all I basically did was pinch the 29 from my shorty and the senad style air filter and added a bit of paint to finish it off. The plan is to run 19/55 gearing and see how it goes for now

I also mounted the cage on these risers but not sure if I can run it like this dontknow cause the cage doesn't seem to sit right like this, but wasn't sure so I removed them for now

I thought I was finished but then realised the wiring for the pico switch wasn't long enough from the box, so had to reposition the hole and f*** around with that but now works fine

Almost finished and can't wait to fire it up and see how it goes headbang