Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  Grim Reapers "Doomsday" 5T build  (Read 5749 times)

Offline Grim ReaperTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 3557
  • Mick
  • Club: Red Lion Rebels
Grim Reapers "Doomsday" 5T build
« on: May 11, 2014, 09:19:10 PM »
Well after selling Inferno to get a Losi I told myself I wouldn't build another Baja.....but after waiting months for the DBXL to come out I finally caved.....and so I began collecting parts again to build another 5B. This is just going to be a budget backyard basher so it's mostly stock parts but it will do just fine for now.

This is what I got a few months ago to get me started..a massive pile of parts to pick from

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I've been soo busy and have not had anytime to work on my cars but I had the place to myself today I got the build going in hopes to get it ready for the Red Lion bash next weekend.

I decided to try a different colour scheme this time, never thought I would go blue but it's really starting to grow on me and I think this lighter shade of blue really pops with the black

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Front end's mostly done, kraken V2 lower arms and RPM uppers, just waiting on an alloy shock tower brace and alloy supports which should arrive in the next couple of days

Rebuilt the diff and got the rear end sorted, RPM lower arms and Kraken uppers with alloy heims

The pipe I plan on using has a few cracks in it and my good mate Rossco has it at the moment to be repaired, so for now I'm going to use a stock can. I mocked up my Zen 27.2 but noticed the can was rubbing against the tranny case, so I had to grind a little bit off the can so it would fit and it worked. But I didn't check the gaps for the roll cage, and I'm not sure if it's going to work.

Time got the better of me so that's it for now.......I will try to get it finished for RL, but just not sure if I will.........but I will try. Watch this space lol thumbsup
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 05:02:00 PM by Grim Reaper »

Offline atmmak5

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2547
Re: Grims Backyard Basher
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 09:41:37 PM »
Great start Mick  thumbsup
A mate had a xy gt  that same colour that looked sweet as with blackouts  headbang

Offline Ddrummer16

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1070
  • Jesse
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:45:25 PM »
looking good so far mick! 

Nice shade of blue that one
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Need to lay off the Jandal

Offline Hor Mann

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 7866
  • Wanna see my watch?
  • Skype Name: kevinl2375
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:47:33 PM »
Looks sweet mate...

Really like the colour combo..

Offline Clinton92

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 191
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 11:21:40 PM »
Nice amount of parts you got there Mick

Can't wait to see the build. 

Offline klh mx10

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 7181
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 11:33:34 PM »
Looking good so far Mick! thumbsup

KLH concepts custom painting - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JOHNSEE

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 8749
  • Club: S.A.L.S
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 08:39:31 AM »
Sweet Mick!! blue an black colour combo is cool headbang

Online Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 15271
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
  • Instagram: OzzyMozzyLSD
  • Club: Freestyle Flyers
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 09:17:34 AM »
Nice one Mick, I love the blue…… It’s going to look good

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 07:29:24 PM »
Thanks for the kind words gents 1beer!  Couple parts turned up today but still waiting on a few other bits which should turn up wednesday. I've got a busy work week this week, 6.30am starts and not home till late evenings bang head  so probably have buckleys chance of getting it finished for RL...............plus I still need to get the shorty sorted so I actually have a car to run lol

Plus the DBXL will hopefully arrive Wednesday  !woohoo!  so that will take priority to make sure it's ready for the weekend thumbsup

Offline mickyd213

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1280
  • Club: GRCOR
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 07:43:59 PM »
Hey Mick, I'll bring some baja parts on the weekend so you can flick through them and see if you can use anything... Still might be able to get it going over the weekend...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

GRCOR member: 0009

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Hey Mick, I'll bring some baja parts on the weekend so you can flick through them and see if you can use anything... Still might be able to get it going over the weekend...

Ok cool thanks Mick thumbsup  I'm going to try and get it done as much as possible, otherwise will just bring it along and see how we go.......

Offline sword26

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 5807
  • Craig
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »
Yeah Mick, let us know what you need and we can maybe organise some parts to get this going, and help you out, thumbsup

Sig by   Chris Allender

Offline badwobble

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 6738
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 10:40:45 AM »
Yeah Mick same here, have some bits and pieces your welcome to pick through @ RL , so bring it along thumbsup

PS. nice Ford blue your running there  headbang  *rofl*
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:43:32 AM by badwobble »

The wisest men follow their own direction.
May all your encounters with the law begin with the words, NICE HARLEY!

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 09:16:55 PM »
As always.....no shortage of *gc* 's and an abundance of generousity around here, you guys make the hobby what it is today thumbsup

Brought it along to the Red Lion bash with plans to run it, but I just didn't get around to it bang head Maybe if I didn't get lost on the way up.....but that's another story *rofl*

All I need now is a hump pack which I might pinch from the shorty and a pipe and she'll be ready to rock and roll headbang

Offline mickyd213

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1280
  • Club: GRCOR
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 09:32:18 PM »
Hey Mick. I've got a couple of hump packs I don't need. Send me your details and I'll mail it to you.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

GRCOR member: 0009

Offline Nardz27

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 721
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 09:47:03 PM »
Nice colour scheme Mick! I like the carbon fibre touches aswell thumbsup

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 11:18:24 PM »
Well, it's been a while but ever since the Red Lion bash, I've had nothing but dramas with this build......haven't been able to run it bang head mainly engine issues and other priorities took over, etc. etc.

Today I went to my mate Rossco's place and he helped me rebuild the engine  *gc*  ......I got my old pipe back aswell and gave it a lick of paint.

A few adjustments here and there and she finally fired up and goes pretty good now.....finally *rofl*

I'll upload a vid tomorrow night thumbsup

Offline klh mx10

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 11:31:15 PM »
It's a good looking rig Mick, man those tyres would be fun on the wet grass, drift city!

KLH concepts custom painting - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 10:08:24 AM »
Thanks Kane and yes it was drift mania as this vid clearly demonstrates *rofl*  Multi tasking = driving rc one handed + videoing one handed thumbsup

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 05:29:58 PM »
Did a bit of work on the wheels and beadlocks. Replaced the front tarmac busters with some Proline bowties which arrived today from Laon, much much better. I also changed over the rims so they all match and gave the beadlocks a lick of paint.............all ready for the bash on saturday thumbsup

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 09:13:25 PM »
I've been thinking about a 5T conversion for a while now and have made the decision to convert this Baja to a 5T. I've started collecting the parts required, so far being front bumper, side rails and trays and a tr front shock tower.

Other parts I'm considering are a TC style cage and side mount pipe but we'll see how I go

It's covered in mud atm so first thing will be is a strip down and fresh build up.....Also gonna paint a few of the alloy parts here and there and add some carbon fibre wrap in a few spots.

will add pics as I go thumbsup

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
Re: Grims Backyard Basher 5T conversion
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 05:08:55 PM »
Pretty relaxed day today after yesterday and was nice weather so decided to make a start on a few things for the rebuild. Strip and clean done, diff will need a rebuild but started by tricking up a few things. I'm still waiting on a few parts but there's plenty to be done in the meantime.

First up was adding some carbon fibre wrap to a few parts, including light engine shroud, pod caps, side rails and trays

I also got a few of the alloy parts polished, primed and finished with a two coats of paint, sticking to the blue black combo

That's all for now............watch this space

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Mick
Re: Grim Reapers "Doomsday" 5T build
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2014, 05:15:39 PM »
Got some more done during the week and now it's starting to resemble a car again lol

Fabbed up some chassis inserts using some old 2mm lexan sheet

Concentrating on the front end. The shock tower A arms required some modifying to mount to the thicker tr plate..didn't take much with the grinder and mallet to get it all to fit nice and snug. Originally thought to paint the tower brace blue, but opted for black instead as I don't want too much blue

So before fitting the front bumper I removed the carbon and painted the light pod caps blue instead to offset the blue

Whilst on the bumper, it was missing the joining pin, so I found a long enough bolt and loctited a serrated nut to fix it in place, hopefully it doesn't rattle loose

I'll install the trays and side rails tonight, then start working on the rear

Offline klh mx10

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 06:23:54 PM »
Coming together well mate! thumbsup

Offline atmmak5

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2547
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
+1 Liking the colour combo Mick and the c/f wrapped parts will set it of nicely to  headbang