Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  Lest we forget ANZAC  (Read 1770 times)

Offline monsterbugTopic starter

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 3023
    • Danny
  • Location: right behind you mutha fuka, failing that New Zealand
Lest we forget ANZAC
« on: April 25, 2014, 06:59:48 AM »
I thought it fitting to place this in remembrance of those who have fallen.

For the fallen

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,Fallen in the cause of the free.
Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royalSings sorrow up into immortal spheres.
There is music in the midst of desolationAnd a glory that shines upon our tears.
They went with songs to the battle, they were young,Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;They sit no more at familiar tables at home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.
But where our desires are and our hopes profound,Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,To the innermost heart of their own land they are known.
As the stars are known to the Night;As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain,
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,To the end, to the end, they remain.

Laurence Binyon (18691943)

Lest we forget
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 12:53:36 PM by Baja Dan »

Offline mickyd213

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1284
  • Club: GRCOR
Re: Lest we forget ANZAC 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 07:26:21 AM »
Lest we forget

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

GRCOR member: 0009

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Danny
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 08:18:24 AM »
Well I was hoping to give my grandad and great grandads medals their first ever Dawn service this year alas due to being in the midst of moving house they are safely packed in storage, bear with me guys I feel I need to do this.

My great grandfather served in WW1 and never received his medal before he died due to my grandparents family immigrating to Australia,  his medal was finally presented to my grandfather along with his own medals for his service in WW2.
My Granfather never had them mounted in fact he never even unwrapped then as he was so ashamed that he was able to come home when so many of his friends didn't (in short his platoon were behind enemy lines in France and were over run by the Germans there were only 2 survivors he lost a lot of friends that day).
My grandad was a very proud man but he never ever spoke of his service and it was only after his death that I was able to learn the full horror he endured being over run, shot and loosing so many comrades. 
I learnt he blamed himself and felt enormous guilt but he never burdened his family or ever felt he was able to share his story or greif.
After he died I learned that he did infact share his story privately with my Aunt who is a History teacher, she learned that I had requested his medals and shared the story with me. Something I am forever grateful for. 
Anyway I hope you all don't mind me sharing a little of his story and posting a picture of my great grand fathers and my grandads medals here.
They will receive the honour and respect deserved at next years dawn service, until then...

Henry William Valentine Morgan

Eric Albert Bennet Hingley (Ben/Grandad)

Lest we forget

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Please if anyone else wants to share their stories or pictures feel free

Offline fallout

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 570
  • justin
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:43:28 AM »
my step grandfather which was the only grandfather i knew so was a big part of my life was a well spoken and quiet man he did tell me storys of his experience but made it sound funny. he joined at 16 and a half cause he screwed the system to join as alot of young men did though. an evening on the front they were cooking dinner they came under attack from japenese zero fighters they all scrambled for safety he lost a couple toes got schrapnel in his leg from that attack. he also lost a few good mates as every attack. within a few weeks he was back at the front doing his service for the country he loved. about a year later he took schrapnel while underfire  saving a few men and losing some as well. 
all of these boys were heroes they all sacrificed somthing they made this country what it is today. my grandfather had medals which my aunty has in rome i wanted them but she was his little girl so she got em.
he got back and opened a service station in dapto and ran it for 30 yrs before his body wouldnt allow it. he was a great man in my life having a dropdead dad and a self centered mum it was the stability in my life that made me who i am today if it wasnt for his kindness and patience and being a gentle man. 
he passed about 20yrs ago by the end it was tough he had alzeimers and parkinsons disease.
i loved the guy as my grandfather because he was.
 a great man and humble about it all.

always in my heart 
jack nash.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
[/URL]www.facebook.com/groups/411166868914096/

Offline mickyd213

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1284
  • Club: GRCOR
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 10:59:04 AM »
My Grandfather fought in WW2. I only ever asked him once about the war and was sternly told not to ask that question again.
 I was about 10 at the time and I'll never forget the look of horror on his face after I asked him. I know he was in Armoured corps as a tankie.
I am what I am today because of the lessons he taught me (my brother also) and will always be in his debt.
R.I.P Michael Clarke.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

GRCOR member: 0009

Offline badwobble

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 6738
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »
My pop was in WW2, he got shot and went back when he recovered, he was a tough hard old bastard that never talked about it, he got medals but never collected them, we never knew this until he passed away, my older brother hunted them down and collected them.

I never had a great deal to do with him and we were not close as he was the type of man that never seemed to want that!
Upon his funeral I relized how popular and respected the man was.

I have been to many many funerals and that is the only funeral I have ever cried at *crybaby*
I was closer to him than I ever relized,and I am always thinking about him, even more so on days like today!

RIP ya old bugger, you are a legend headbang
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The wisest men follow their own direction.
May all your encounters with the law begin with the words, NICE HARLEY!

Offline in rod we trust

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2486
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 11:16:47 AM »
lest we forget ...happy anzac day

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Danny
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 11:19:16 AM »
Thanks for sharing guys, we all owe a debt we could never possibly repay for a sacrifice most could never imagine giving. 

I can't wait till my kids are old enough to understand so I can tell them.

Offline Hor Mann

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 7906
  • Wanna see my watch?
  • Skype Name: kevinl2375
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 04:09:04 PM »
Lest We forget!!!

We WILL remember them.. thumbsup

Offline bajabrad

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2419
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 08:30:44 PM »
I never knew my grandfather we only ever knew him as Stinker. He left my grandma and her 4 kids as soon as he came back from the war & became an alcoholic. All I remember was everyone bagging him when he was spoken about.

But only in the last few months I have found out that he was a Rat of Tobruk & never recovered from the trauma he suffered. So for the rest of his life he was treated like crap & was never allowed to meet his grand kids. The poor bastard suffered for the remainder of his life only for serving his country.

I wore copies of his medals today and teared up every time I thought about him. He died around the time my daughter was born. As far as I know no family was at his funeral.

Rest in peace Stinker!

Lest we forget.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:41:52 PM by bajabrad »

Offline Hor Mann

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 7906
  • Wanna see my watch?
  • Skype Name: kevinl2375
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 09:42:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I never knew my grandfather we only ever knew him as Stinker. He left my grandma and her 4 kids as soon as he came back from the war & became an alcoholic. All I remember was everyone bagging him when he was spoken about.

But only in the last few months I have found out that he was a Rat of Tobruk & never recovered from the trauma he suffered. So for the rest of his life he was treated like crap & was never allowed to meet his grand kids. The poor bastard suffered for the remainder of his life only for serving his country.

I wore copies of his medals today and teared up every time I thought about him. He died around the time my daughter was born. As far as I know no family was at his funeral.

Rest in peace Stinker!

Lest we forget.

We will remember him mate..

Thankyou..

Offline in rod we trust

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2486
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 06:21:21 AM »
Lest  we forget

Offline savage600

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1427
  • Sometime's Darkness, will show you the light.
  • Club: 1 Wood
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 08:02:40 AM »
" They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them ".

I don't really have any stories about family members as some of the above do, but that doesn't mean I'm not thankful for all those men and women that gave their lives for us and to give us a country like Australia to live in as we do.

My daughter is part of the Mt Barker Scout group and we went to our local Dawn Service this morning and this was the first Dawn Service any of us have been to and it was a moving and special time.

It really makes me proud to be an Australian.

Amen.

Hpi Firestorm E Flux
Axial SCX10
Motor work by Mick Mods ( a.k.a. Pagey04)
Heli's also in the mix.

Offline Baja Dan

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2939
  • Banned for Life Aye
    • The Worlds Best RC Site, Bar None
  • Location: Jack Lives Here, Jim Lives Here, So, I Live Here.......
  • Club: UHROC
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 12:52:26 PM »
My family has a military service history, with my father and grand fathers all serving in the air force. I however did not follow this tradition, instead forging my own path. But i have always instilled the spirit and meanings behind anzac day on both of my boys. My eldest has been going with me to the dawn services for the last 5 years, and although he finds it hard to wake up, i believe he does enjoy it. He usually backs it up and marches in the regular ceremony with his school or scouts, and for the first time was joined by his younger brother in the march, both wearing replicas of their great grandfathers medals.

Lest We Forget
Sent from the LSD Naughty corner, using a flashlight and morse code

.... - - .--. ---... -..-. -..-. -... .. - .-.-.- .-.. -.-- -..-. .---- --... .-- ..-. -.. ..-. .-.