Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  Evel Kneivel big air bug tribute build  (Read 43497 times)

Offline klh mx10Topic starter

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 7181
Re: Evel Kneivel big air bug tribute build
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2012, 01:53:33 AM »
Yeah dunno Tony, all the SALS guys are saying the opposite - rev to the moon but a bit soft down low, but none have this exact engine  - although the cylinder is common between all the RCMK car engines.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

KLH concepts custom painting - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2012, 01:53:53 AM »
Had the bug out again today, and i'm not happy with this engine, dunno if the pipe is a bad match or what but very dissapointed in the performance so far, will try again with a higher stall setting on my clutch to try get some more punch out of it as it's pretty sluggish down low, and top end is pretty crap too - maybe that's the pipe i'm not sure. And it's an absolute pig to start to even after trying a few different carb settings!!!! visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 Pat was out with my old Crash tester which he's just rebuilt the stock Zen 1mm stroker and it was running rings around the bug so far.... I've got a rear Dom here to try also if i can't get some performance happening.

Will swap to alloy rear upper arms too like my other cars have had as in an hours driving over 2 days i've ripped out 3 rear turnbuckles!!! visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 had a rear DS shaft come undone from the rod end twice on me and was soooo lucky each time to find all the bits on the dunes!!

My last run today was little better and got 10 min in for some fun before ripping out my final turnbuckle.

Not a great start with the new car but i'd rather shake the bugs (bad pun i know...) out now than when i'm in Lancelin for the big bash w/end on the 25/26th of this month.

Managed to get some good air but to try honour the builds theme... visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

KLH concepts custom painting - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline antonis2708

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 191
Evel Kneivel big air bug tribute build
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2012, 07:17:39 AM »
Kane the Luna pipe is awesome bottom to mid pipe. Had the same pipe before when i had the TS in my 5t. If your having power with low down big I would suggest that the porting in the engine it self is no good. Send gizmo motors an email and see what a ported cylinder is worth.

Sigs by Ozzy Mozzy
I support Redline Enterprises

Offline Hor Mann

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 7891
  • Wanna see my watch?
  • Skype Name: kevinl2375
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2012, 08:17:48 AM »
WOW..!!! *notworthy&

Only just had a chance too look at this build..
Looks amazing mate. thumbsup

Pretty keen to see if the motor gets a bit better..
I dunno if I am as disapointed as you are with it.
Hope it gets better for you mate, as I was looking at one as well.

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 15375
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
  • Instagram: OzzyMozzyLSD
  • Club: Freestyle Flyers
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2012, 08:53:57 AM »
Mate that looks right at home on the dunes in in the air..... headbang

Bit of shame about the motor, i hope you get it sorted out.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2012, 12:08:50 PM »
Some vid trying to honour the EK tag...

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2012, 04:02:09 PM »
Nice vid Kane, how is the motor going now? I see what you mean about the low end.....

Offline badwobble

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 6738
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2012, 06:24:25 PM »
That's some sweet air there Kane,top job,looks like it goes alright  thumbsup

The wisest men follow their own direction.
May all your encounters with the law begin with the words, NICE HARLEY!

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »
Ok after some tweaking last night i took the EK out again this morning, adjusted up the clutch stall, wound in the set screws 1.5 turns as the stall was low as hell, as soon as i drove it it was reading 10500ish on the tacho before it'd move...a touch high! visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 I ended up settling on about 8500rpm engagement and it was alot better.

But it was still pretty sluggish off the bottom, so tried my 5B smaller diametre paddles on it and it was another car - heaps better!! visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 Still not awe inspiring yet but definately quite acceptable now, i think a couple more tanks and i may well be quite happy with it, by the end of today it was going pretty good.

So not sure wether to drop the 18/56 gearing back to stock 17/57 with the tall 5T paddles or just run smaller 5B wheels on it, it seemed more stable with the 5B rear paddles being lower and fatter than the 5T ones.

I replaced the rear upper arms with some alloy Elcon ones - but snapped an FLM turnbuckle today!! The FLM turnbuckles go from 6mm in the arm to 8mm in the alloy rod end - i think i'll drill and tap the arms to 8mm and run Outlaw 8mm turnbuckles as this have proved bullet proof on the Billet Beast.

Also the damn threads appear to have cross threaded in my FLM rear hubs.....i had a bolt come loose last outing and appears to have trashed the threads!! visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 Reckon i'll whack some Hostile hubs on it as they are the Best IMO for a basher.

So today was the best outing yet with it - just gonna fix up the rear turnbuckles and replace the rear hubs and clean it up ready for the Lano bash now, hopefully it's a good thing now and the weakpoints highlighted so i can resolve them. visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Victor1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 286
  • "Question everything".But why?
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2012, 04:48:21 PM »
go the big air. bananad2 beer thumbsup headbang

Offline badwobble

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2012, 06:19:54 PM »
This pic is sic Kane,where were you off too? lol, the moon thumbsup

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2012, 09:15:57 PM »
Back drops awesome hey, best part is you can just drive from bowl to bowl for  a few thousand acres and just keep finding cool shit at Wylie, and theres several sets of dunes all within 20 min of town, the Pink Lake dunes are the biggest, out the back the bowls are truely massive, I'll have to get some vid out there one day it's just a mission getting out there in the 4x4 as they're so big and generally soft as the sand out West of town is coarser.

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2012, 12:08:55 AM »
Hey i havn't posted any completed pics of the EK bug yet  - well still havn't got my shell back from being Rhino lined yet so will get more pics then.   

Here's a few from the other day prior to it's maiden run .perve It'll never be this shiny again.....

Offline badwobble

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2012, 12:20:02 AM »
eek2  Bloody awesome Kane,so different to anything else...i'dhitit  rofl

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2012, 12:25:44 AM »
And this was how it looked after the first test run....  dontknow

Ah well.... ^shithappens*

I've gone through 3 rear upper arms now, snapped a rear turnbuckle, lost the end off each of the rear DS shock shafts and luckily found all the parts on the sand each time!!! Had the rear ressies fittings come loose and one fall out completely - so already re-oiled the shocks again, lost a bolt and bush out of the billet steering wiper assy, lost bolt out of rear hub and threads damaged on both, lost rear sway bar clamp and end mounting section, lost bolts out of rear alloy bumper, bent chassis tabs up and snapped one off trying to straighten it, torn up dogbone boots and damaged a 5mm diff cup a bit from losing shock ends, and more i can't remember now!!!!! What a f*^*%* start and everything was loctited too!!!! All part of the shake down process.......  driven1

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2012, 12:35:12 AM »
eek2  Bloody awesome Kane,so different to anything else...i'dhitit  rofl

Thanks Brett, yeah it's got it's own look going on.

Here's my fix for the rear turnbuckles and rear upper arms failing - Elcon billet uppers, which i've drilled and tapped to 8mm, got some long 8mm stainless bolts today which i'll cut down into turnbuckles, wanted 12.9 steel but couldn't find anything suitable - confident these won't fail now! Have run the same basic set up on my other Baja's and no more failures....

Here's the big girl all stripped down for repairs and to address the problem area's - since this pic i've almost got it all back together ready for the Big lano dune bash coming up in a couple of weekend's time.

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2012, 07:25:11 AM »
Nice now it wont break....what color are they going to be, red or blue?

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2012, 09:45:39 AM »
Bare alloy mate, want to drive it now and can't be f(*&^% trying to organise 2 little bits like this to be done - but the honest main reason is that any coating or colouring would be sand blasted off from the rear paddles in the first couple of months and look shithouse... under the rear of the chassis and the rear bumper support in under 2 hrs driving the powdercoat white and ceramic blue is already worn to bare alloy from the constant sand blasting!

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
Evel Kneivel big air bug tribute build
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2012, 10:18:02 AM »
Ah yes the sand blasting affect, didn't think of that bang head Such a shame it's a great looking Baja

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SLAYER

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2262
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2012, 11:23:26 AM »
f*** thats i nice looking ride, shame about the sand blasting.
Seen they spray motor bike helmets with a urethane clear coat to help it from getting scratched, dont know if it would help with sand blasting

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2012, 11:41:29 AM »
Hey mate, cheers.

And yeah with the urethane clear it's still really just 2K clear, i've used it in the past and still acts like paint does to hard hits from stones roosted up etc....most of the bug's coatings will hold up fine, just around the rear wheel area get's hammered from all the constant roost and under the chassis where it drags, i think the red Integy gear cover will slowly become pink at the rear of it and then bare alloy over time...lol. but the rest of the car should hold up fine for asthetics. My cool little Evel Knievel stickers i had made for the pullstart and gear cover are blasted back to pure white already.....i'll get more done and then cover them with thick 3M clear vinyl and they'll last for ages.

Offline Craig#991

• Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2228
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2012, 02:42:22 PM »
Yeah, that'll do the trick. those stickers top the build off awesomely headbang

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2012, 02:40:33 AM »
I was watching Sesame Street with my little girl this week and this came on... he was trying to get shot out of a canon but didn't go so well... funny as!!

Offline badwobble

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2012, 02:52:07 PM »
rofl

An Evel muppet headbang

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2012, 12:19:02 AM »
The EK bug is all back together now and shell on as well after a little modding as the Rovan cage i've got seems to be a touch short and has to be stretched pretty hard to get it too mount onto the car - never had a genuine Chase cage so don't know if they're the same but what it has caused is the rear body post mounts to lean forwards which put the damn posts out almost an inch to the body holes!!!! visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So attacked the cage with my heat gun and got it back a little more, but still a good half inch or so out, f**# it! and shell side post holes didn't line up either so had to re-drill them lower, shell is on now after alot of tweaking. visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 I've got a Nutech wing i've wanted to run on it too as i reckon it looks kinda cool with the bug and same deal i had to really extensively cut/dremel/drill it to make it work but got it on there in the end i think it looks pretty tasteful and fits the flow of the shell.

Built up a set of smaller 5B wheels for it too as it ran alot harder with the B wheels in testing, may do a gearing swap later and go back to the larger 5T wheels but this is the combo for now.

Anyway more importantly pics!! visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Got my hour meter on the shock brace now and the rezzies mounted to the uprights so the cage can come off easily now without having to remove all the other crap!

The big bulky FLM rod ends wern't letting the rear arms drop to full droop either so had to add spacers under then to stop them fouling on the hubs... visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And these are my new rear 8mm turnbuckles i had to make up from some bolts i got from the local Ag services shop to work with what i wanted to do.