Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  Evel Kneivel big air bug tribute build  (Read 37581 times)

Offline klh mx10Topic starter

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 7181
Re: Evel Kneivel big air bug tribute build
« Reply #600 on: February 24, 2015, 10:49:34 PM »
Yeah Pat's been flying the 1/5th flag on his own for ages in the Bimbadeen Crew so about time to give him some company again! Still prob a few weeks yet but it's the first i've been keen to drive a 1/5th in ages, working on Graham's SS this week and driving it today has ignited a Bit of interest for me once again.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

KLH concepts custom painting - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline badwobble

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 6738
« Reply #601 on: February 24, 2015, 11:33:07 PM »
Looking forward to some more big car/air action Pop  headbang
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The wisest men follow their own direction.
May all your encounters with the law begin with the words, NICE HARLEY!

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #602 on: March 07, 2015, 09:44:10 PM »
First up this is a mod that has worked for ME after heaps of steering testing a few years ago with my baja, if you don't agree with it no probs, easy - don't f*&*^*% do it...ha ha.

So guys here's a mod i came up with a few years ago when i first built my own home made FG style push-pull style steering set up using an FG servo saver, and i killed a few servo's mainly smashing gears etc.

I think the FG style steering is the only way to get a baja to turn well on a track - after testing every other option that's available based on the stock set up, as they all only offered minor improvement i found. The prob i find with the FG saver commonly used in this conversion is the "lobe" or initial ramp angle of the saver is very steep and takes alot of force for the saver to actually do it's job and move. Try moving one by hand out of the car even with the softer red spring that nearly everyone uses and see how bloody hard it is to budge, to fix this i simply dremel a small amount of material off the alloy half of the saver to reduce the transitional angle from the first stage to the second stage of the saver, letting the saver actually do it's job a bit easier taking stress off the servo.

Obviously too much material and the saver will move too easily and you'll lose the steering precision gained from the conversion!

Here's a few pics of the one out of Symsteer on my Evel Knievel dune basher, as it's been so long ago since i did the one on my home made set up i'd forgotten about this little mod that definately saves your steering servo more, so just tweaked this one last week and thought i'd share it for those that are interested.

In these first 2 pics is the saver assy as supplied by FG, you can see how it kinda locks in position with the main lobe.

It takes a lot of force to get the saver to ride up the lobe to the flatter easier to move section.

Top view before dremelling.

Bottom half done - note not much has to come off, just enough to reduce the transition from steep to shallow a little.

In this side on pic the near half has been done and not the back half - to give an idea of the slight angle change, i don't take any out of the very bottom that's just the angel the pic was taken on.

Finished product, takes less force to get the saver to move.

And that's it! I've found basically none to very minimal difference in steering precision after the mod, but takes a shitload of stress off the servo, as i'm a basher and have heavy cars mostly it can be an issue with bad large jump landings and high speed cartwheels etc. Hope it's of some help to guys out there running the FG steering system if they're killing steering servo's.

Cheers.

I've posted this in the suspension and steering section too so more crew may see it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:17:59 PM by klh mx10 »

KLH concepts custom painting - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #603 on: March 07, 2015, 10:26:48 PM »
Here's something new i've never done to a servo before - snapped the end off the output shaft!!

No wonder i lost steering 7 months ago...... lol.

I've been using up all my old dead Hitec servo's for some time and getting lower on parts so this one has the older style smaller output gear, got one more of these gears left so see how she goes now after the servo saver mod.

Replaced the outer hub steering ball ends too - tried the captured style one's but have bent the f!^*&%$ to the shithouse! Stockers back on there now and deal with the ends popping off when they do - easy to pop them back on again!

The inner captured ball ends are doing fine though.

Offline NitroManiac

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 743
  • Full time Maniac
« Reply #604 on: March 07, 2015, 11:11:58 PM »
Holy Shit Kane you mistreat this poor car...
Have you tried hardening the captured ball ends? Just heat them till they are red hot and then pop them into engine oil
He who sows capacity will reap torque - where seeds are missing thy must grow revs

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #605 on: March 08, 2015, 12:34:36 AM »
Don't mistreat, just use it hard. What i built it for, lol.

Unfortunately these ends are too far gone, if i hardened them (even new one's) chances are i'd just snap the bastards off then! Stockers will be fine for now, i may use steel rod ends like i have on other cars in the past which are tough as nails.

Offline Fifty8

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1357
« Reply #606 on: March 08, 2015, 08:45:11 AM »
 I had the same issue with those Dog pile caputered ball ends.
My outer ones were badly bent but never had any issue with the inner ones after a couple of years of abuse

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #607 on: March 19, 2015, 02:23:52 AM »
So after 7 months or so of sitting on the shelf i drained the fuel, mixed up a fresh batch and 3 pulls and the mighty Roostertail full mod fired into life, was pretty stoked on that! bananadance1

Gave it a 15min fang in the paddock and all seemed good so it's ready for next time i hit the dunes, just need to chuck another set of paddles on as these one's are shagged, less than half the lugs left on them!

Quick bit of dodgey one handed driving and some slo-mo roosts for fun, with new paddles imagine how much shit it would throw!!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #608 on: May 09, 2015, 06:25:05 PM »
Well look out, actually had a largescale bash out the dunes, been a looong time! And got a nice decent run in too! Need new paddles though as i've got about 2 ribs left on each tyre, hard to keep in a straight line!! *rofl*  driven1

Offline maxit

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1830
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #609 on: May 09, 2015, 06:51:33 PM »
I have to say I luv these sand vids, especially my last outing...great stuff.

Extreme Speed Team, Worlds Fastest Hpi Baja 189 kph! BZM 50cc

Offline Kamikaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 409
« Reply #610 on: May 09, 2015, 08:04:51 PM »
Was. Good day out great to see the 1/5 scales running hard and not breaking. Got me all gee up to get this losi going the winter dunes are awesome. Checked the pink lake dunes out today they are lookin good to
Go Hard Take It Home In A Bucket

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 15286
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
  • Instagram: OzzyMozzyLSD
  • Club: Freestyle Flyers
« Reply #611 on: May 09, 2015, 08:19:46 PM »
It doesn't get much better than that!!! awesome vid guys headbang

Nice Hoodie Kane headbang

Offline Rooster Tail Engines

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 846
    • Rooster Tail Engines
« Reply #612 on: May 21, 2015, 10:14:24 PM »
That was cool.  Makes me miss the dunes like mad.  Good to see the big girl out again. driven1 Awesome vid as always...