Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  SCZ-E290 29cc first time out  (Read 13750 times)

Offline nitrocat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full LSD Member
  • Liked: 140
Re: SCZ-E290 29cc first time out
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2016, 07:45:04 PM »
There still around and have dropped the price way down
I still wouldn't pay my money for one
But I'm a show me person and I've never seen anyone or heard of anyone having any luck with one
Using Tapatalk

Offline puppeli

• Full LSD Member
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2016, 08:34:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
But I'm a show me person and I've never seen anyone or heard of anyone having any luck with one

So what is wrong with the engine? It is just that I can't find a single bad review from actual owners. Usually if something is shit the net is full of it and if something is Ok you won't find a peep. There are lot haters but not owners that are giving the SCZ a bad rap and promoting their own brands. Just like this thread there is nothing that actually shows if the engine is bad. Only people saying that it is bad but no reason given other than Chinese.

Online Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 15411
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
  • Instagram: OzzyMozzyLSD
  • Club: Freestyle Flyers
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2016, 08:55:38 PM »

So what is wrong with the engine? It is just that I can't find a single bad review from actual owners. Usually if something is shit the net is full of it and if something is Ok you won't find a peep. There are lot haters but not owners that are giving the SCZ a bad rap and promoting their own brands. Just like this thread there is nothing that actually shows if the engine is bad. Only people saying that it is bad but no reason given other than Chinese.

If you cant find a single bad review then I say buy one....... I have never owned one so I cant comment but I can on what I have owned which I did.... Up to you what you put your hard cash towards mate thumbsup
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jester Racing

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2994
  • Damian
  • Club: QORLS
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2016, 09:31:54 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Casting quality.......roll the dice and have a go...
The older I get, the bigger the toys........

Offline nitrocat

• Full LSD Member
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2016, 10:52:52 PM »
Most of the people that got them were new to sport and did not stay long enough in it to know they were good or bad  is my guess
But I did here they got hot real fast
And my BZM does to if you run it to lean
Using Tapatalk

Offline bajaforthewin

• Jr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 19
SCZ-E290 29cc first time out
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2016, 11:08:01 PM »
I've got one and can't fault it really I've got a big review going on another forum since fitting and update it with more info when I do more test.

It's out revved and out run my OBR 29.5 FM piston port with ease.

Plenty of vids on my YouTube channel of it

The casting are no worse than the BZM in fact the scz is better on the port, but remember the BZM is no longer made and parts will be thin on the ground.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 11:10:37 PM by bajaforthewin »

Offline bajaforthewin

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2016, 06:05:26 PM »
Might has well put my latest vids here on a proper SCZ thread

vids from yesterday a slow mo vid I think these look brill, and a vid thrashing around testing my new custom petals only got 20140 revs but these are more for all round bashing a bout middle of the road performance wise.

Sent via tapatalk on a mobile devise.

Offline atmmak5

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2549
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2016, 06:37:36 PM »
Yes have been told the casting are better on the SCZ. They have inherited The BZM heat soak problem through to the carb. Once the manifold /carb area gets some work to help with the soak they area great valued motor IMO and have spoken to a couple of guys that say they go hard. The vid above shows that one going hard.

Offline Ledge75

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 391
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2016, 07:05:30 PM »
One of my mates bought one up here and runs it in a Losi Greg and I have asked him every now and again how he finds it and if still going hard. He flogs the living snot out of it and likes it but doesn't get out as much as he wishes he could so hasn't done a lit of hours with it. The Hours he has done would of been sheer brutal torture as he is like that and just drives the a*** off em till they need rebulding.

I also asked him if he reckons it lives up to the 9hp rating to which he has just said he doesn't believe it has the 9hp but he has beaten OBR fm engines with it pretty easily.

Offline atmmak5

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2016, 07:20:10 PM »
Agree with him Ryan the 9hp rating is a bit *thumbsdown* but again for the pricetag and parts availability it's good value. A good reedy built by the gurus these days can set you back up to and beyond the K mark. Would love to see one in a lightweight baja .

Offline bajaforthewin

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2016, 07:36:54 PM »
Yes have been told the casting are better on the SCZ. They have inherited The BZM heat soak problem through to the carb. Once the manifold /carb area gets some work to help with the soak they area great valued motor IMO and have spoken to a couple of guys that say they go hard. The vid above shows that one going hard.

Yep they have the famous heat soaking issue

I've actually meshed around all areas of the engine not the case, this allowed plenty of flow over the head but still needed to remove the shroud.

I've temped the insulator and it keeps pretty cool around 45 degree, and I use an alloy one the stock scz and BZM warp like a banana.

Yep horse power 9 well it's all BS hp TBH specially when my bros 32 reed can't keep up and a mates 30.5 reed both OBR's one claims 8.2 hp the other 9.?

It's how they drive that counts at the end of the day, but regarding heat soak my bros and mates suffer the same if driven hard. 

Offline atmmak5

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2016, 07:50:02 PM »
Yes agree all my reeds suffer from soak and yes depends if your really hard on your gear or you give the thing a break to cool. Rino put me onto and gave me a manifold matchined out of a product called Bakelite. I havnt tested it yet but he may chime in as he has done some testing with it.

Which pipe are you running in the vid thumbsup
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:54:36 PM by atmmak5 »

Offline bajaforthewin

• Jr. LSD Member
SCZ-E290 29cc first time out
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2016, 08:03:39 PM »
I was looking at machining my own Teflon gaskets, and a Teflon insert in the alloy but I've not had much luck with telfon in the passed warping.

Now I'll wait and see if maxit chimes in on this Bakelite but in the meantime a little googling

Using a VCR pro

Seems it's a little Brittle so will see if Maxits tested some.

Sent via tapatalk on a mobile devise.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 08:10:26 PM by bajaforthewin »

Offline Jester Racing

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Damian
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2016, 08:38:40 PM »
Bakelite is not used much any more but there are some better alternatives.
Orkot would possibly be a good alternative.

Offline Jester Racing

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Damian
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2016, 08:43:23 PM »
Different grades of Peek would work to.

Offline maxit

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1830
  • Run Hard and Fast
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2016, 11:35:16 PM »
Thanks Greg ... I been  using a Bakelite material adaptor between the carb & manifold and I haven't suffered any heat soak the carb would be lucky to see 30 degrees... It seems to work fine on both the rc50 I own. im sure as jester mentioned there maybe other material out there.  That hadn't been tried mite be worth ago.

Extreme Speed Team, Worlds Fastest Hpi Baja 189 kph! BZM 50cc

Offline Snowball

• LSD Newbie
  • Liked: 5
    • Brad
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2016, 06:41:01 PM »
sik!!!

Offline bajaforthewin

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2016, 05:41:06 PM »
Just a little update on my scz got rid of the carb bulb emptying issue and fixed heat issues, need 2 minor mods.

Yesterday's little tester of the viper

Sent via tapatalk on a cloned mobile device TRCC

Offline bajaforthewin

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2016, 03:57:33 AM »
Swapped out my worn out custom petals and got my revs back

Little slow mo vid

Sent via tapatalk on a cloned mobile device TRCC

Offline puppeli

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2019, 02:35:14 AM »
Have 3 of these and couldn't be happier. Not sure what people are going on about with all the negative. Yes it is made in China by Area RC. It is improved BZM. It is simple better made than BZM with better cooling and alloy flywheel cage. You can argue between flat and domed piston but in my opinion the domed piston in SCZ gives better performance. Yes it has 21400rpm under load and 24000rpm off load. Carburetor is very important on this engine. 990 or 1107 are not enough. You will need 1048 or Tillotson that I have. And yes I believe it gives the 9hp claimed with right carburetor and pipe. The BZM Micro pipe by VRC is a great match for this engine. In blown crankcase gasket is rear and only happens if you run in wet or soak the engine while washing. Simple fix treat the paper gaskets with copper gasket cement to seal the paper gasket at maintenance or first teardown from moisture and hot steam. Other point to know is not to over tighten the reed block. 3nm torque only to avoid any damage to the block. Over tighten and you risk warping the block and getting an air leak. The cylinder has hard ceramic coating on it just like the BZM and you will wear many piston rings out before doing any damage to the cylinder. All the bearings are German origin. You might read about cylinder fails but these are from using gas or nitro in drag racing. So you can push these engines also but note these are not designed for gas or nitro. But that's a risk everyone takes themselves fully knowing the risks. My opinion is that for the price it is very hard to find anything that even comes close.

Offline bajaforthewin

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2019, 03:45:38 AM »
Agree with most but dam no where close to the claimed HP start chucking gears at it performance suffers a lot.

I found 17/56 stock gears work best and allow it to rev to the moon as seen from my vids and tacho readings.

Offline puppeli

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2019, 09:47:04 AM »
Agree with most but dam no where close to the claimed HP start chucking gears at it performance suffers a lot.

I found 17/56 stock gears work best and allow it to rev to the moon as seen from my vids and tacho readings.

Can I ask what carb you are running? The difference is night and day if you have the wrong carb. And also the exhaust has to match to get the timing right.

Offline puppeli

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2019, 10:24:20 AM »

You were saying at Baja Forum you tried few carbs and ended on 1107 to be the best. But it is way too small still. Throw 1048 possibly modified one in it to give it what it needs. You will be positively surprised.

Offline puppeli

• Full LSD Member
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2019, 11:06:16 AM »
regarding the Dyno talk that i ve seen recirculating in various threads i d like to say that if i am testing an engine i would never install it in a car.
installed may give you a better idea of what to expect in the specific car as performance but it is useless as comparison data for the engine it self.
every component in that car not only affects the test results but it is almost impossible to replicate in another car.

regarding the values, put on the same dyno and same day a stock engine and publish those results as part of the testing in a comparison format. everybody has experience in stock engines and they can evaluate what the numbers actually say.
to explain, it is not important if the stock performance is 1,2 or 4hp as this will be the base line for the actual tested motor. if stock is 2hp and the motor in question gives you 4 you know were it stands. that 9hp of the scz could be on a dyno that a stock performs 7hp.
i guess that is why talking about results is meaningless for these hobby engines. (unless the dyno apart from inaccurate is also not linear which means it should only be used as an anchor)

and one thing i do not accept is experts. to me experts are used every time there is no science behind a claim. pretty much every time you want people to believe your statement that is not supported by scientific and proven data just use the name of an expert and your done. none will question an expert. financial experts life experts you name it plenty around for every need. expertise should not be confused with experience.

I find lot of sense about the reference to "experts". In RC's the biggest lies come from dealers, manufacturers, sponsored racers, brand whores and the minions that blindly follow these bozos. It is unfortunate in a hobby to be ripped off by these people. To find the truth you need to ask and prove every claim time after time from many different sources and ultimately from your own experience. These bozos take you for a fool most of the time and minions often just to justify their own falling into the con. I find it very refreshing that someone is on the ball.

Offline bajaforthewin

• Jr. LSD Member
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2019, 12:48:23 PM »
I think I said I found the 771 carb the best maybe later on, itís quite some time back now but that was the last carb I used.

The 1107 is deffo not to small because thatís the carb that I was using on my RCMAX 40GT