Large Scale Downunder Forum

Author Topic:  KLH MX10's "Project Featherweight" Baja build  (Read 26936 times)

Offline klh mx10Topic starter

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 7181
KLH MX10's "Project Featherweight" Baja build
« on: April 21, 2013, 01:03:29 AM »
This is a project i've been wanting to do for a very long time, have had most of the parts for this build well over 18 months plus, but just no time to put into it.... just a big plastic tub full of some pretty trick lightweight parts bang head 

2013 is the year some of my shit get's done for a change!

So as the name suggest's it will be a custom scratch built lightweight Baja designed primarily with track work in mind, bashing 2nd.

I've got alot of white nylon Rovan parts to use for most of the plastic area's of the build, as much as many hate clone parts, through personal experience and seeing mate's cars the Rovan nylon is as durable as anything for most area's of the car, I'll be running RPM arm's as they're the best for that section.

Chassis is Rovan to (Gasp....!) but i've extensively modded and chopped it, drilled it and dropped a heap of weight from it.

The thing will be bolted together with one of Atmak5's Ti bolt kits, Got Ti pins for all arms, Kraken Ti shock shafts, Craftwerx layshaft etc etc....

Plus alot of nice billet parts where i think they'll be needed, and plenty of tasty carbon fibre bits too.

Shocks will run ressies with 2 way variable shock pistons, which with some ginning around should allow me to run quite light compression dampening but with controlled rebound, biggest issue i've seen with lightweight Baja's is they deflect of everything and are squirelly on the track, so really want to get the shocks right to make it sit planted like a heavier Baja does in the bumps.

I don't have it yet but the heart of this thing will be one of Damo's Roostertail 27.2 MX Qualifier track oriented engines running through a 4 shoe lauterbacher clutch and Olimat side bleed, my favourite track pipe so far i've used. Should be heaps of go for a car this light, i don't want to ridiculously over power it as want to be able to get around the track, not just wheelie everywhere and crash....

There's more but i can't remember it now...lol, been sitting too long, plan to run a Symsteer in it too.

As for the theme well i'm going with a 1980's MX team look, that's all i'm saying for now... *evil*

Here's some pics of the pieces to this puzzle, planning to make a start in the enxt couple of months.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

These are Rovan "billet" diff cases, they look ok, gonna give them a shot!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

KLH concepts custom painting - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline badwobble

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 6738
Re: KLH MX10's "Project Featherweight" Baja build
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 03:45:24 AM »
wow pops thats nice stuff you have in your box,i want at atack pins but cant get them..this will be a nice build to watch headbang i found in some case rovan parts are just s good and i dont care what peeps think either,you need to own one to know this though..good stuff
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The wisest men follow their own direction.
May all your encounters with the law begin with the words, NICE HARLEY!

Offline Crazy_stu

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1622
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 05:35:52 AM »
Interesting kane, i will be doing the same sort of build this year to but im aiming for under 8kg.  Ive got some ideas in mind to set my build apart from all the rest. 

Will be good to see how this all comes together. 

I wonder what grade alloy rovan use for there diffs, id say if they say they are billet they will be stronger than the hpi cast diff.

After a Carb, stock or bearing modified or need a carb repaired send me a PM 

Stock 668  $50
Stock 990  $58

Modified 668  $75
Modified 990  $83

10% discount applies for any carb purchased on the 13th of every month.

Full details in the vendors market.

Offline Rooster Tail Engines

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 846
    • Rooster Tail Engines
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 08:36:26 AM »
Kane thats gonna be awesome.  Those white parts do look the part i gotta say.  coolpunk

Is that how the chassis comes with all those holes machined in it?

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 08:57:19 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Kane thats gonna be awesome.  Those white parts do look the part i gotta say.  coolpunk

Is that how the chassis comes with all those holes machined in it?

Oh shit no Damo it was a solid chassis to start with, i took to it with a hole saw and drill, and 1mm cutting disk on my angle grinder ha ha, big job, next time i'll just buy a Scorpion chassis but i like the look of mine now and it'll be different to everyone else's!

KLH concepts custom painting - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Rooster Tail Engines
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
Hell yeh it does look good man.  From the pic it looks cnc'd.  You are getting good with the hole saw and dremel mate. headbang

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 09:11:43 AM »
Interesting kane, i will be doing the same sort of build this year to but im aiming for under 8kg.  Ive got some ideas in mind to set my build apart from all the rest.  

Will be good to see how this all comes together.  

I wonder what grade alloy rovan use for there diffs, id say if they say they are billet they will be stronger than the hpi cast diff.

Hey Stu, under 8kg's!? Are we talking with an engine....lol?

Or are you talking with no wheels and empty tank as some do, As to me claiming a weight of a car like that isn't real as you cant drive it without either.... Ha ha.

Originally i was going to go for out and out lightness as the main priority, but the way i drive i decided to add a little billet in a couple of spots to help it hold together, i'd be stoked if i can keep it under 10kg ready to drive.

Be good to see your idea's Stu! Different is always cool to see.

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
    • Rooster Tail Engines
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 09:21:16 AM »
When they are light they are a handful to drive but bloody good fun for videos.  Take some serious set up.

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 09:44:41 AM »
wow pops thats nice stuff you have in your box,i want at atack pins but cant get them..this will be a nice build to watch headbang i found in some case rovan parts are just s good and i dont care what peeps think either,you need to own one to know this though..good stuff

Yeah Gramps for sure i'm not on the blind clone hate bandwagon, as far as i'm concerned it keeps some of the manufacturers honest when ripping us a new one on parts prices, when i started in this hobby Hostile MX's were 90bucks a pair, now they're $39... Go figure. I can buy Rovan ones with foams for 15 bucks and they last forever....i'm not made of money so if i can save some bucks in  area's i will, and unashamably too. Yep they're c(@&# in alot of ways for what they do, but help make the hobby more affordable too if you choose wisely.

Definately alot of clone gear is nothing but pure shite, but i've owned 2 Rovan's, and built custom Baja's using their parts so know what's worth getting and what to stay away from.

These diff cases are a gamble as no doubt the alloy won't be 6061 or a decent grade, but they are an original   design, and look nicely machined in the flesh, i wouldn't put one behind a 70, but in a light car with a smaller sized engine i doubt it'll be a prob, i've run the normal Rovan SS clone cases before without probs, so these should be better.

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:48:35 AM »
When they are light they are a handful to drive but bloody good fun for videos.  Take some serious set up.

Agreed mate that's what i've seen too, hence why i'll put my biggest effort into shock 
/suspension set up to try keep it sitting on the ground, will be a challenge no doubt!

Offline Mr.Leopard

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 310
  • GGF
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 10:51:58 AM »
you shouldnt need much billet kane, a light car has less force on impact when it hits something or lands wrong etc, look at senads car, his car weighs some stupid like 8.5 or 9kg with engine wheels and everything, its all stock parts, titanium and carbon fibre

although he saves a shitload of weight from his chassis weighing in at only 250g on average

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 10:59:35 AM »
Not much billet no Johnny, just in a few key area's that i've found are places i break over the last few years of bashing here on my tracks and in the dunes, and yep obviously a lighter car has less mass in a cartwheel so damage should be less, hopefully anyway, just hope i can get it to handle the way i want so it doesn't go a*** up more than normal being light.

My previous cars like the Crash tester have been around 14kg and handle great on my tracks, very stable and quite predictable at that weight, hopefully i can get the spring rates and dampening right to make a sub 10kg car handle the same way.

Offline safcut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 275
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 11:14:02 AM »
Can't wait to see it together Kane! I've had a boner over this since you first started talking about the idea of it.....and like you said it's well over 18 months ago and my pecker is starting to get sore *rofl*

Offline Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 15271
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
  • Instagram: OzzyMozzyLSD
  • Club: Freestyle Flyers
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 11:21:08 AM »
About time!!! lol...... Looking forward to this one Kane. No doubt it's going to look very cool once it's finished with the theme you have in mind.

Offline JOHNSEE

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 8749
  • Club: S.A.L.S
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »
Awesome Kane ive been wondering when this build was gonna happen headbang

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 11:23:42 AM »
Long lost Mick! How are ya mate?

Yeah has been forever, still a couple of months away before i start but getting closer al the time!

Offline JOHNSEE

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 8749
  • Club: S.A.L.S
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 11:51:47 AM »
Long lost Mick! How are ya mate?

Yeah has been forever, still a couple of months away before i start but getting closer al the time!

Hahaha... going great mate thanks hows yourself and the family??  i can tell ive been away for a while so much to catch up on... !woohoo!

Cant wait to see it on the go mate itll be a good build!

Offline SLAYER

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2257
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 12:33:16 PM »
Enjoy the build Pop thumbsup
Whats the theme, marlboro yamaha ?
1beer!

Offline Ddrummer16

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1070
  • Jesse
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 12:35:42 PM »
going to watch this build with greatb interest

Need to lay off the Jandal

Offline RCDUDE29cc

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Jr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 03:12:06 PM »
Love the chassis.
Did you weigh it before doing all the drilling then re-weigh it??
And yeah, nothing at all wrong with Rovan gear mate.

Offline SHORTCUT

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1379
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 05:30:30 PM »
Sounds awesome mate, can't Waite for this build to start.
Signature By Ozzy Mozzy
Large Scale Downunder Addict

Offline kccortez

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 481
  • Kevin
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 07:36:10 PM »
Good to see another build Kane! My lightweight shorty baja is around 10kg full loaded, have the super soft springs on it and handles pretty well.

Will be a similar setup to what i have bar the shorty chassis. Goodluck with the build!

Offline Kamikaze

• Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 409
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 09:31:47 PM »
Hey mate theres a hole in your chassis... Less weight is everything less damage on crashes and easier to tune suspension etc cant wait to chase it down at a track near us.
Go Hard Take It Home In A Bucket

Offline safcut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 275
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 09:41:15 PM »
Hot pic there Paul! RRRROOOOOOOOOSSSSTTTT!!!! *rofl*

Offline Kamikaze

• Sr. LSD Member
  • Liked: 409
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 10:16:32 PM »
Yeah awesome pics from kane. at one off our bimbadeen days
Go Hard Take It Home In A Bucket