Large Scale Downunder Forum

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Author Topic:  Getting in nice and early Peron dunes between 26th and 31st December  (Read 3751 times)

Offline Crazy_stuTopic starter

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 1622
Im anounceing this nice and early to get all you tassie boyz to peron dunes on the east coast..   I would like to see a better turn out than last year.

Will be in touch with dates closer to the time but i will be there 110% and more than likely be bringing 2 mates from melbourne and one from launy to bash up the dunes.

cant wait, im hangin for another mission and its looking like we will have a couple of 4wds to explore more of the dune area as last time we were on foot and we only explored say a couple of hundred metres out of about 2-3km's of dunes.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

After a Carb, stock or bearing modified or need a carb repaired send me a PM 

Stock 668  $50
Stock 990  $58

Modified 668  $75
Modified 990  $83

10% discount applies for any carb purchased on the 13th of every month.

Full details in the vendors market.

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
Re: Getting in nice and early Peron dunes between 26th and 31st December
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 06:06:19 AM »
Did up a map of the dunes and labeled the 4 entrances.  It a lot bigger than i thought it was, its stretches about 7-8km's and last year we went in at entrance 1 and only explored about 100-200m.

This year we will go in all 4 entrances and see if we can find a better spot.

Stock 668  $50
Stock 990  $58

Modified 668  $75
Modified 990  $83

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 07:42:15 AM »
Well the Peron Dunes trip has been and gone and lets just say that it didnt go to plan, the first day we spent 7hrs on the dunes, had a good day but there was basicly no jumping done on the 1st day.  

The twin was a bit laggy down low but as soon as it hit its powerband, it just took off like a rocket.  Recorded no higher temps than 160C all day and was useing it with no break, full tanks one after the other.  It didnt handle that well at all with heaps of roll overs but boy did it get up and go.

The shorty was a absolute dream to drive and was just as much fun as the twin if not more.  It was wheelstanding its head off and was handling excellent and was so hard to roll, everytime i would get any traction up would come the front wheels.  Highest temp i recorded was around 130C.  

Was planning on having a big morning on the dunes on the 2nd day with lots of jumps but had troubles with both cars, the twin stretched the clutch spring so it was becoming really really hard to get out of that laggy bottom end due to the engagment being so low so i shut that off and that was the end of the twin.

The shorty started up fine but went for a couple of minutes and then had a roll over and then shut off, couldnt get it started again.   Figured out that the clunk filter was out of the fuel and was sitting up in where the fuel cap screws on.  Pushed it back in and started it up again, went for another couple of minutes and then just died.  fired it up again and it i did a few practise jumps landed one and it back fired and stalled soon after, that didnt sound real good.  Pulled the pull start, wasnt seized so i started it up again.  It seems like everytime i put load on the engine by having its wheels in the sand it would die but when i had the wheels free spinning in the air it would go. 

My mate with his baja was the only one that had any luck on the 2nd day but by this time we only had about an hour left to drive back to Launceston so i could catch my plane so that was the end of that.

Got back to Launy and checked out all the vids and photos on both cameras.  I told my mate with tha cameras to get lots of vids and photos but when i checked them out there wasnt one vid of the twin.  Im so Pissed off, and all the other vids were crap to with none more than 20secs long and most were of my mates baja.  Theres about 10 20 sec vids and 460 photos, i was hoping that there would be more vids but not one of the twin. 

I will go through it all in the next few days and see if i can find some decent ones but at the end of the day im pretty disapointed with the trip.  Had a good first day with no vids and the second day was a waste of time so no jumping for either of mine, was planning on bashing the shit out of mine on the second day but didnt end up that way.

Stock 668  $50
Stock 990  $58

Modified 668  $75
Modified 990  $83

Offline Craig#991

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 2228
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 08:51:07 AM »
Kane will tell ya that you were lucky to get the first day in trouble free thumbsup. I'd have to agree.

Can't blame you for spewing on the vids though Stu. As they say "If ya want something done properly then you need to do it yourself" bang head

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 12:22:16 PM »

Stock 668  $50
Stock 990  $58

Modified 668  $75
Modified 990  $83

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 01:19:12 PM »

Stock 668  $50
Stock 990  $58

Modified 668  $75
Modified 990  $83

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »

Stock 668  $50
Stock 990  $58

Modified 668  $75
Modified 990  $83

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 01:31:59 PM »

There will be a couple of short vids to follow later

Stock 668  $50
Stock 990  $58

Modified 668  $75
Modified 990  $83

Online Ozzy Mozzy

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 15187
    • Steve
    • Large Scale Downunder
  • Instagram: OzzyMozzyLSD
  • Club: Freestyle Flyers
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 02:48:38 PM »
Some good shots in there Stu and if you page down quick enough it's like a moving picture thumbsup
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline klh mx10

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 7181
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 03:48:22 PM »
Hey Stu I know you travelled a long way to bash those dunes but honestly bud with 5th sçale to get that first 7 hr day in trouble free is farkin' awesome if you ask me! I've never had a run that good, ever. Seriously, ever. 

Sucks you didn't get the vid you wanted but still lucky to have someone to take pics or vids at all,,and some of those pics are pretty sweet mate. At least you've got something to remember the trip by, I know you had great expectations for this trip but man f*^*%* 5th scale is tough to get runs without something happening, my last dune run a couple days back in just under 2 hours out there I prob bashed my Bajas for 20 min max between 2 cars before they were f(*&^%, then used my 1/10 for a good 30 min of abuse with no breakages, without that 1/10 the trip would've been a bloody waste of time....

KLH concepts custom painting - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline badwobble

• LSD Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Addicted LSD Member
  • Liked: 6737
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 09:40:49 PM »
I think my max is 2 tanks maybe 2 1/2 tanks..with stops to fix drink and talk crap..sounds like an awesome run as the boys have said..

good pics Stu..looks like a great bash spot thumbsup

The wisest men follow their own direction.
May all your encounters with the law begin with the words, NICE HARLEY!

• LSD Contributor
  • Addicted LSD Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 11:09:13 AM »
By the sounds of it i did get a good run with getting 7 hrs trouble free, just a bit disapointed about the vid side of things and the no jumping.  Ive already started planning my next dunes mission and its getting better planned every year.

Stock 668  $50
Stock 990  $58

Modified 668  $75
Modified 990  $83